Odessa Township, Big Stone County, Minnesota
|Odessa Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Land||35.6 sq mi (92.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,079 ft (329 m)|
|• Density||4.1/sq mi (1.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665198|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94.1 km²), of which 35.5 square miles (92.1 km²) is land and 0.8 square miles (2.0 km²) (2.12%) is water.
The city of Odessa is entirely within this township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Horseshoe Lake
- Long Tom Lake (vast majority)
- Peterson Lake
- Otrey Township (north)
- Artichoke Township (northeast)
- Akron Township (east)
- Lake Shore Township, Lac qui Parle County (southeast)
- Agassiz Township, Lac qui Parle County (south)
- Yellow Bank Township, Lac qui Parle County (southwest)
- Ortonville Township (west)
- Big Stone Township (northwest)
The township contains these three cemeteries: Odessa Immanuel Lutheran, Odessa Trinity Lutheran and Rest.
As of the census of 2000, there were 147 people, 61 households, and 48 families residing in the township. The population density was 4.1 people per square mile (1.6/km²). There were 78 housing units at an average density of 2.2/sq mi (0.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.68% of the population.
There were 61 households out of which 26.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 77.0% were married couples living together, and 21.3% were non-families. 19.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the township the population was spread out with 21.8% under the age of 18, 4.1% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 23.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 107.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,429, and the median income for a family was $38,333. Males had a median income of $32,188 versus $20,500 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,174. There were none of the families and 2.6% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Odessa Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 55.