Odyssey Re

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Odyssey Re Holdings Corp.
Subsidiary
Industry Insurance
Founded 1996
Headquarters Stamford, Connecticut, United States
Parent Fairfax Financial
Website www.odysseyre.com

Odyssey Re Holdings Corp. headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, United States, is an underwriter of property and casualty treaty and facultative reinsurance, as well as specialty insurance. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fairfax Financial, a financial services holding company. OdysseyRe operates through four divisions: Americas, EuroAsia, London Market and US Insurance. OdysseyRe offers a range of property, casualty, surety and credit, marine and energy, aviation and space reinsurance products from offices around the world.

For the year ended December 31, 2010, reinsurance represented 65.0% of gross premiums written, and primary insurance represented the remaining 35.0%.[1]


Odyssey Re was listed as one of America's 400 Best Big Companies by Forbes in 2008 for the fourth time.[2] The company's support of a Super-PAC in the 2012 U.S. Presidential elections has been deemed controversial by some as interference by a Canadian-owned entity in US domestic politics.[3]

Notes[edit]

  1. ^ "Odyssey Re Holdings Corporation". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-10-06. 
  2. ^ "Odyssey Re Holdings". Forbes. 2009-01-12. Retrieved 2012-10-06. 
  3. ^ Beckel, Michael. "Foreign-Owned Firm Gives $1 Million to Romney Super-PAC". Mother Jones. Retrieved 2012-10-06. 

References[edit]

External links[edit]