J. E. Gray, 1842
Oedura is a genus of medium to large geckos (Gekkonidae) endemic to Australia. They are referred to by the common name velvet geckos. Most of the species occur in northern and eastern Australia, with further isolates in the arid zone (Pilbara, Central Ranges and Flinders Ranges).
They are mostly arboreal and nocturnal, and have flattened bodies that are distinctly patterned. They are secretive tree or rock dwellers, usually concealing themselves beneath peeling bark or in cracks and crevices. A species found in the Kimberley region, Oedura filicipoda, is named for the plumose fringing on the toes that may assist in clinging to rocky overhangs. All species are adapted to their dry conditions and can go for months without food or water.
The content of the genus Oedura has been reduced by Oliver et al. in 2012, when they transferred four species to the genus Amalosia and erected two new monotypic genera, Hesperoedura for Oedura reticulata and Nebulifera for Oedura robusta.
- Oedura castelnaui – northern velvet gecko
- Oedura coggeri – northern spotted velvet gecko
- Oedura filicipoda – fringe-toed velvet gecko
- Oedura gemmata – jewelled velvet gecko
- Oedura gracilis – gracile velvet gecko
- Oedura jowalbinna Hoskin & Higgie, 2008
- Oedura marmorata – marbled velvet gecko
- Oedura monilis – ocellated velvet gecko
- Oedura murrumanu – limestone range velvet gecko (Oliver, Laver, Melville & Doughty, 2014)
- Oedura tryoni – southern spotted velvet gecko
- Oedura jacovae – valid as Amalosia jacovae (Cooper, Keim & Hoskin, 2007)
- Oedura lesueurii – Lesueur's velvet gecko, valid as Amalosia lesueurii
- Oedura obscura – slim velvet gecko, valid as Amalosia obscura
- Oedura rhombifer – zigzag velvet gecko, valid as Amalosia rhombifer
- Oedura reticulata – reticulated velvet gecko, valid as Hesperoedura reticulata
- Oedura robusta – robust velvet gecko, valid as Nebulifera robusta
- Reptile Database
- Browne-Cooper, Robert; Bush, Brian; Maryan, Brad; Robinson, David (2007). Reptiles and Frogs in the Bush: Southwestern Australia. University of Western Australia Press. pp. 121, 122. ISBN 978-1-920694-74-6.
- Oliver, P.M., A.M. Bauer, E. Greenbaum, T.R. Jackman, and T. Hobbie. 2012. Molecular phylogenetics of the arboreal Australian gecko genus Oedura Gray 1842 (Gekkota: Diplodactylidae): Another plesiomorphic grade? Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 63: 255-264.
- Gray, J. E. 1842. Description of some hitherto unrecorded species of Australian reptiles and batrachians. Zoological Miscellany (London: Treuttel, Würtz & Co.) pp. 51—57.
- Oedura at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database
|Wikispecies has information related to: Oedura|