|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Oenology (enology; // ee-NOL-o-jee) is the science and study of wine and winemaking; distinct from viticulture, the agricultural endeavours of vine-growing and of grape-harvesting. The English word oenology derives from the word oinos, “wine” (οἶνος) and the suffix –logia “study of” (-λογία) from the Ancient Greek language. An oenologist is an expert in the fields comprehended by the “Viticulture and Oenology” designation for oenology-training programmes and research centres that include schooling, training, and education in the outdoor and indoors aspects of wine and the making of wine.
Education and training
An increasing number of schools offer degree-granting programs in Oenology and Viticulture. Most of these offer it as a major concentration for a Bachelor of Science (B.S, B.Sc., Sc.B) degree or offer it as a terminal master's degree—either in scientific or research oriented program culminating in a Master of Science (M.S., Sc.M.) degree, or a professional degree, like Cornell University's Master of Professional Services. Oenologists and viticulturalists who hold doctoral degrees often have earned them in related fields, including Horticulture, plant physiology or microbiology. Related non-academic titles including sommelier and Master of Wine certifications are more oriented toward commercial occupations in the restaurant or hospitality management industry.
Oenologists often work as winemakers or find employment with commercial laboratories or with groups such as the Australian Wine Research Institute.
Schools in Australia tend to offer a "Bachelor of Viticulture" or "Masters of Viticulture" degree.
- Charles Sturt University - Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
- Curtin University of Technology - Perth, Western Australia
- Northern Melbourne Institute of Technology - Preston, Victoria
- University of Adelaide - Adelaide, South Australia
- Queensland College of Wine Tourism - Stanthorpe, Queensland
- Federal Institute of Rio Grande do Sul - Bento Gonçalves, Porto Alegre, Feliz, Sertão, Canoas, Porto Alegre-Restinga, Caxias do Sul, Osório, Erechim and Rio Grande.
- Brock University - St. Catharines, Ontario
Official National Diploma of Oenology :
- Jules Guyot Institute - Dijon
- University of Montpellier I - Montpellier
- Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse - Toulouse
- University of Reims - Reims
- University of Bordeaux - Bordeaux
Other wine diplomas :
- University of Stellenbosch - Stellenbosch
- Changins - Nyon
- Cornell University - Ithaca and Geneva, New York
- Paul Smith's College - Paul Smiths, New York
- Finger Lakes Community College - Canandaigua and Geneva, New York
- California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo, California
- Fresno State University - Fresno, California
- Sonoma State University - Sonoma, California
- University of California, Davis - Davis, California
- Allan Hancock College - Santa Maria, California
- Napa Valley College - Napa, California
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) - Blacksburg, Virginia
- Washington State University - Pullman, Washington
- Patrick Henry Community College - Henry County, Virginia
- Surry Community College - Dobson, North Carolina
- Grayson College - Grayson, Texas
- University of Missouri - Columbia, Missouri
- Kent State - Kent, Ohio
- Miami University - Oxford, Ohio
- Colorado State University - Fort Collins, Colorado
- Yavapai College - Clarkdale, Arizona
- Oregon State University - Corvallis, Oregon
- Alberto Antonini
- Miguel Brascó
- Cathy Corison
- Tullio De Rosa
- Peter Gago
- Hermann Jaeger
- Max Léglise
- Zelma Long
- Justin Meyer
- Hermann Müller (Thurgau)
- Ottavio Ottavi
- Jacques Puisais
- Michel Rolland
- Carol Shelton
- Păstorel Teodoreanu
- Miguel A. Torres
- Keith Wallace
- "oenology". Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
- "oenology". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House.
- "Geisenheim Degree courses".
- "3-year degree course Viticulture and Oenology". https://www.uniud.it. External link in
- "Bachelor Degree (BSc Hons) Viticulture and Oenology". Plumpton College. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
|Look up oenology in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Website of the Œnology and Viticulture departement of the University of California at Davis
- Oenologist.com - Online resource about wine and professionals in the wine industry
- VinoEnology.com - Online wine-making calculators and resource about wine and professionals in the wine industry
- Glossary of Terms for Enology, Viticulture and Winemaking, CCwinegroup.com, 2009 (PDF)