off our backs
off our backs, inc. (United States)
|off our backs|
off our backs (often referred to as oob) was an American radical feminist periodical that ran from 1970 to 2008. It began publishing on February 27, 1970, with a twelve-page tabloid first issue. From 2002 the editors adapted it into a bimonthly journal.
off our backs was edited and published by a collective of women who practiced consensus decision-making. Marilyn Salzman Webb, Heidi Steffens, Marlene Wicks, Colette Reid, and Norma Lesser formed the original off our backs collective. The staff later[when?] consisted of Carol Anne Douglas, Tacie Dejanikus, Amaya Roberson, Sherri Whatley, Laura Butterbaugh, Farar Elliott, Angie Manzano, Karla Mantilla, Jennie Ruby, Jenn Smith, Alice Henry, and Angie Young.
- List of lesbian periodicals
- On Our Backs, a lesbian pornographic magazine whose title parodies that of off our backs.
- Jenny Gunnarsson Payne (November 2009). "Feminist media as alternative media? A literature review". Interface: a journal for and about social movements. 1 (2). Archived from the original on 28 February 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Brownmiller, Susan (2000). In Our Time: Memoir of a Revolution. New York: Dial Press. ISBN 978-0-385-31486-2. OCLC 41885669.
- "off our backs". Archived from the original on 24 June 2017.
- Marshall, Lucinda (11 July 2008). "Off Our Backs In Financial Trouble". Women In Media and Film.
- Steinshouer, Betty Jean; Douglas, Carol Anne (Winter 2016). "An Interview with Carol Anne Douglas: off our backs and Other Feminist Phenomena". Trivia: Voices of Feminism (17).
- hdl:1903.1/11903 Off Our Backs archives
|This women's magazine–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.
|This feminism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|