Off the Record (Tinchy Stryder song)
|"Off the Record"|
|Single by Tinchy Stryder featuring Calvin Harris and BURNS|
|Released||4 November 2011|
|Tinchy Stryder singles chronology|
|Calvin Harris singles chronology|
|BURNS singles chronology|
"Off the Record" is a song by British rapper Tinchy Stryder. The song features Scottish music producers Calvin Harris and Matt Burns (credited as BURNS). It was meant to be the second single from his fourth studio album, entitled Full Tank, but Full Tank was scrapped, so it became a non-album single. It was released on 4 November 2011 as a digital download. The song was co-written by Stryder and the production trio TMS, and was co-produced by Calvin Harris and BURNS, in August 2011. The single had its debut in BBC Radio 1Xtra's on 15 September 2011. The song peaked at number 24 on the UK Singles Chart. It is most notable for its appearance on the compilation album Now 80.
Background and release
"Off the Record" was written by Tinchy Stryder and the production trio TMS. TMS are the producers of Stryder's 2011 hit single "Spaceship" featuring Dappy, which reached number 5 on the UK Singles Chart, and Dappy's 2011 debut single "No Regrets", which topped the UK Singles Chart. The song was produced by the Three Six Zero Group duo of Calvin Harris and Matt Burns (credited as BURNS), in August 2011.
When speaking about working with Calvin Harris and how they both came to work together on the song, Stryder stated in an interview with music journalist Kim Dawson of Daily Star newspaper:
|“||"I've just recorded a new single with Calvin and it was a lot of fun. "Calvin produced it for me, I've always liked his producing style and even in my sets, my DJ puts his tracks on.
"We've always had a lot of banter together. His album kept me off the top spot and my singles have kept him off the top in the past."
Tinchy Stryder added: "He sent me the tracks over and I picked the one I liked. I brought what I brought and we met halfway over it. We spent more time talking through emails than we actually spoke. Calvin is a very internet and computer guy."
|— Tinchy Stryder|
According to an interview with music journalist, Lina Bastidas of PopDash website on 3 November 2011, Stryder stated that the track's lyrics were inspired by his life currently feeling like he is on a rollercoaster, at the time of the song production.
The song also makes reference to Calvin Harris' song "The Girls", when Tinchy Stryder sings, "Calvin gets the girls, he's got all the girls, ohh look."
The concept for the music video was based on the notorious phrase or saying of "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas". The music video was filmed in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States, by Tinchy Stryder's music video production partners Luke Monaghan & James Barber, to accompany the release of "Off The Record". Monaghan and Barber were also two of the three directors of Stryder's 2011 Mobo Award winning music video for his previous 2011 hit single in the UK, "Spaceship".
The music video finds Stryder in a Red colored Mustang driving, followed by him being on roller coaster at the MGM Grand Adventures Theme Park, with a group of females, whilst at the same time he proceeds with athemic choruses over electro house beats.
The second scene finds Stryder at the luxurious MGM Grand Las Vegas hotel, where he is first seen in the hotel casino gambling, then dawn has approached and he proceeds to his suite at the hotel, where there is a hotel party, and is accompanied by a group of females and cameo appearances from a few Ruff Sqwad members and the production trio TMS are made.
Once in the hotel suite he continues with the song choruses, whilst being on the bed in the hotel suite with a few females wearing Star In The Hood halternecks and monokini's, accompanying him on the bed, the females begin to have a pillow fight whilst fumbling Tinchy Stryder at the same time, then Stryder throws, US$1,000 banknotes, at the females accompanying him on the bed, before Stryder later begins to proceed with rhymes that comes thick and fast over futuristic post-dubstep beats, which is then proceeded by an X-rated footage of a naked female in a bathtub being covered with a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream.
The remaining final scenes in the music video are split with footages of a few members of the grime supergroup and production team Ruff Sqwad, production team TMS, and of Stryder celebrating his 25th birthday, dancing with a group of females on the balcony of an MGM Grand Las Vegas hotel suite, then finally closing the music video with him blowing out the candles on his Star In The Hood decorated Birthday cake.
On Wednesday, 5 October 2011, Tinchy Stryder performed the song live at the 2011 MOBO Awards (Music of Black Origin), which was held at the SECC (Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre) in Glasgow, Scotland. On Sunday, 30 October 2011, Tinchy Stryder performed the song on the UK television show, The Xtra Factor.
|1.||"Off the Record" (Album Version)||3:50|
|2.||"Off the Record" (Raw Remix)||6:55|
|3.||"Off the Record" (High Level Remix)||6:50|
|4.||"Off the Record" (Steve More Remix)||7:37|
|5.||"Off the Record" (Music Video)||3:30|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||23|
|UK Dance (Official Charts Company)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||24|
|4 November 2011||Digital Download|
- "Calvin Harris - Calvin Harris Produced Tinchy Single". Contactmusic.com. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Nelson, Trevor. Tinchy Stryder - Interview With Trevor Nelson. BBC Radio 1Xtra/BBC Radio. Retrieved Thursday, 10 November 2011.
- Dawson, Kim (2 September 2011). "Tinchy Stryder In With Big Calvin Harris". Daily Star (United Kingdom). Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Bastidas, Lina (3 November 2011). "PopDash Meets... Tinchy Stryder!". PopDash.com. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Tinchy Stryder - Off the Record, music video". MUZU TV. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Tinchy Stryder feat. Calvin Harris ‘Off The Record’ by Luke + Barber. www.promonews.tv. Friday, 7 October 2011. Retrieved Saturday, 5 November 2011.
- Tinchy Stryder - Off The Record ft. Calvin Harris & BURNS. Vevo/YouTube.
- Tinchy Stryder @ MOBOs 2011. YouTube. Retrieved Wednesday, 9 November 2011.
- The Xtra Factor (The Xtra Factor, Series 8 - Episode 17). ITV. Retrieved Wednesday, 9 November 2011.
- "Off The Record (feat. Calvin Harris & BURNS) - Single by Tinchy Stryder - Download Off The Record (feat. Calvin Harris & BURNS) - Single on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved Saturday, 5 November 2011.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-11-19". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-11-19" UK Dance Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-11-19" UK Singles Chart.
- "Off The Record (feat. Calvin Harris & BURNS) - Single by Tinchy Stryder - Download Off The Record (feat. Calvin Harris & BURNS) - Single on iTunes" (Republic of Ireland). iTunes Store. Retrieved Sunday, 13 November 2011.