Off the Ropes
|Off the Ropes|
|Starring||KPW wrestlers and staff|
|Country of origin||New Zealand|
|Running time||Approx. 28 mins per episode (plus commercials)|
|Original network||Prime TV|
|Original release||15 November 2009|
- 1 Show history
- 2 Show format
- 3 On-air performers
- 4 Appearances in other media
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In October 2009, KPW announced the launch of a flagship TV show on its website and that the show was to be named Off the Ropes. Later that month, the commencement date and transmission time of the show were announced.
KPW management made the decision to name the show Off the Ropes so that the title format would be similar to Steve Rickard's famous New Zealand professional wrestling TV programme On The Mat, broadcast some 25 years earlier.
The show is significant in New Zealand professional wrestling history in that Off the Ropes is the first show featuring New Zealand professional wrestling show to be broadcast on a nationally-available free-to-air television channel since On The Mat ceased transmission by South Pacific Pictures circa 1984.
Off the Ropes began transmission of its 13-episode first season on Sunday 15 November 2009.
Currently, the show airs every Sunday at 1:30 pm – 2:00pm on Prime Television New Zealand, a free-to air national television network. Each episode is approximately 24 minutes in length (produced for a 30-minute time-slot) and features usually two matches (two singles matches, or one singles match and one tag team match), wrestler interviews in the Backstage Pass segment hosted by KPW staff member Ilex Bell, and backstage vignettes that reveal more of the wrestlers' personality and motivations.
KPW Heavyweight Championship
|H-Flame||Jonnie Juice||21 July 2006||Taita, Lower Hutt||Eruption||Tournament final for the vacant championship|
|Inferno||H-Flame||13 December 2009||Wellington, NZ||Off the Ropes||Episode broadcast 13 Dec 2009|
|Max Damage||Inferno||31 January 2010||Wellington, NZ||Off the Ropes||Episode broadcast 31 Jan 2010|
|The Technician||Max Damage||16 July 2010||Wellington, NZ||Make Or Break|
KPW Tag Team Championship
|The Renegades (The Technician and Kade Morgan "3G")||Whetu and Jade Diamond||8 May 2009||Newtown, Wellington||Rise of the Champions||Tournament final for the vacant championship|
Backstage Pass, host by Ilex Bell
Appearances in other media
Print and other media
Off the Ropes was previewed and promoted in the National Business Review on 25 September 2009 , the Otago Daily Times on 6 October 2009  and also on 13 October 2009, the New Zealand TV Guide on 5 November 2009, the Truth on 13 November 2009, the Herald on 14 November 2009  and also on and 25 September 2009, the New Zealand Listener on 14 November 2009, the Sunday Star-Times on 15 November 2009  and the Sunday News on 15 November 2009.
KPW mainstay H-Flame was also the subject of a cover story for the internationally distributed Fire & Rescue, the official New Zealand Fire service magazine  and was also featured in the Wanganui Chronicle on 6 November 2009, and the New Zealand Herald on 2 November 2009.
- John Mancer, Steve Rickard's Life On The Mat, Rugby Press 1979; ISBN 978-0-9597553-4-3
- Cohen, David (25 September 2009). "Bodyslams and pinfalls". National Business Review. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Loughrey, David (6 October 2009). "Survivor faithful to her art". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Conway, Glenn (13 October 2009). "Watching Sainsbury awful stuff". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Media Monitors Ref: 59607276
- Media Monitors Ref: 60068208
- Media Monitors Ref: 60089457
- Samways, Ana (25 September 2009). "Sideswipe: New Kiwi wrestling show". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- "The Return of Pro Wrestling", NZ Listener, 14 Nov 2009
- Media Monitors Ref: 60132654
- Media Monitors Ref: 60133015
- "Kiwi Wrestling Returns to TV After 25 Years"
- Throng article on "Off the Ropes" premiere
- , Fire and Rescue, issue no. 53, October 2009
- Wanganui Chronicle, 6 Nov 2009
- "Wrestler to push fire safety". The New Zealand Herald. NZPA. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Neems, Jeff (7 November 2009). "'Bad guy' wrestler mixes it in ballet for boys". Waikato Times. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Media Monitors Ref: 59602186
- Off the Ropes official website
- Facebook KPW fansite
- Kiwi Pro Wrestling official website
- Off the Ropes at the Internet Movie Database