Office Genuine Advantage
126.96.36.199 / August 3, 2009citation needed][
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Platform||Microsoft Windows: Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007. Mac OS X: Office X, Office 2004, Office 2008|
Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) was a program by Microsoft, similar to Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA), which required users of the Microsoft Office software to validate their copy of Microsoft Office to download non-critical updates and other downloads such as addons and samples.
This is different from Microsoft Product Activation in that activation is required to use the software and is enforced at the software level, whereas validation permits users to download files and updates from the Microsoft web site and is Internet-based. Validation rejects those product keys that have either been leaked widely or those key-generated to pass through activation but not validation.
Starting October 27, 2006, users of Office Update were required to validate the legitimacy of their Office software in order to download files and updates.
- Description of the Office Genuine Advantage Notifications application Archived January 21, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "Description of the Office Genuine Advantage Notifications application". Microsoft Support (5.0 ed.). Microsoft. June 21, 2014. Archived from the original on January 21, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- Montalbano, Elizabeth (October 26, 2006). "If You Dislike Microsoft's Windows Antipiracy Checks, Look Out". PCWorld. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- "Re: Questions regarding KB949810; XP activation problem". social.microsoft.com. April 17, 2008. Archived from the original on June 18, 2019. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- Bott, Ed (December 29, 2010). "Microsoft quietly shuts down Office Genuine Advantage program". ZDNet. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on June 18, 2019. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- Genuine Microsoft Software FAQ
- Microsoft Bringing 'Genuine Advantage' Authentication to Office
- Description of Microsoft Office 2007 "reduced functionality mode"
|This business software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|