Office of the Chief Scientist (Australia)
The Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) is part of the Department of Industry and Science. Its primary responsibilities are to support the Chief Scientist and the Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council (PMSEIC).
- Coordination Committee on Science and Technology
- Prime Minister's Science Prizes Committee
- Cooperative Research Centres Committee
- Publicly Funded Research Agencies Committee
- Commonwealth, State and Territory Advisory Council on Innovation
- National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy Committee 
- 1989–1992: Ralph Slatyer
- 1992–1996 : Michael Pitman
- 1996–1999: John Stocker, part-time
- 1999–2005 : Robin Batterham, part-time
- 2006–2008: Jim Peacock, part-time
- 2008–2011: Penny Sackett, full-time.
- 2011–present: Ian Chubb
Alan Finkel has been appointed as the next Chief Scientist, and will assume the role when Professor Chubb's term ends in December 2015.
Commonwealth Science Council
The Office of the Chief Scientist provides secretariat services to a science council chaired by the Prime Minister of Australia, with the Chief Scientist holding the position of executive officer on the council.
History of Australian science councils
- Prime Minister's Science and Engineering Council (1989–1997)
- Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council (1997–2013)
- Commonwealth Science Council (2014–present)
- "Assessment Panel for Co-operative Multi-Media Centres". National Library of Australia. Archived from the original on 3 September 2006. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- "Pitman, Michael George (1933–2000)". Bright Sparcs Biographical entry. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Michael George Pitman 1933–2000". Australian Academy of Science Biographical memoirs. 2002. Archived from the original on 18 July 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- W.J. Peacock (4 June 2004). "Submission to the Inquiry into the Office of the Chief Scientist". Australian Academy of Science. Archived from the original (RTF) on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "CSIRO welcomes Chief Scientist". 22 November 1996. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Batterham, Robin John (1941 – )". Bright Sparcs Biographical entry. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- Barlow, Karen (17 May 2005). "Australia's Chief Scientist gives up Govt position for mining giant". ABC AM program. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- Percy, Karen (1 March 2006). "New chief scientist makes waves". The World Today. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "ANU astronomer named new chief scientist". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 30 September 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- Lane, Bernard (15 October 2015). "New council is ‘no substitute’ for a dedicated science minister". The Australian. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Commonwealth Science Council: First Meeting". Office of the Chief Scientist. Australian Government. Retrieved 28 October 2015.