Offinso Municipal District

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Offinso District
Region Ashanti Region
District type Ordinary
District Chief Executive Collins Ntim
Capital Offinso
Area 1,451 km²
Population (2002) 138,190
ISO 3166 GH-AH-OF

The Offinso Municipal District is one of the 27 districts of the Ashanti Region of Ghana. Located in the northwestern part of the region, its capital is Offinso.

History[edit]

The Asante name ɔfenso has been anglicised to Offinso. The former Offinso District was divided into Offinso South Municipal and Offinso North District with their capitals at New Offinso and Akomadan respectively; the division was done during former President John Agyekum Kufuor's term of office.

Towns[edit]

  • Aboasu
  • Abofour
  • Amowi
  • Anyinasuso
  • Asuboi
  • Asuosu
  • Dome
  • Koforidua
  • Kokote
  • Maase
  • Mpehi
  • Namong
  • Oboase
  • Dentin
  • Offinso Old Town
  • Sampronso[1]

Education[edit]

In Offinso there are:

Public schools

There are 52 kindergartens, 94 primary schools, and 52 junior secondary schools.

Private schools

There are 44 kindergartens, 42 primary schools, and 15 junior secondary schools.

Culture[edit]

Most culture, heritage, and customs in the district originated with the Akan people. However, migrant settlers from the north have brought their own culture to the area.[2]

The Municipality has one major festival, the Mmoaninko Afahye, which is celebrated every four years. It is an occasion which brings Offinso citizens, home and abroad, together to discuss the development of the Municipality.[2]

Demographics[edit]

About 85% of the population are Asante, while the remaining 15% comprises other ethnic groups, the majority of whom hail from the Northern, Upper West, and Upper East Regions.[2]

Christianity is the main religion practiced in the district, although there is a significant Muslim population in the town of Offinso.

Governance[edit]

The Municipality has one paramount chief, the Offinsohene, and several sub-chiefs.[2]

Notable people[edit]

  • Most Rev Dr Peter Kwasi Sarpong, Emeritus Archbishop of Kumasi Catholic Archdiocese.
  • Dr. Opoku (Executive Director, Seed Production Division (SPD), Ghana Cocoa Board
  • Kwame Owusu Achaw – author, Ako Te Brofo English Grammar
  • Brother Oppong Addai – retired soldier, he was part of those that removed former President Flt. Lt. J. J. Rawlings' fingernails
  • Dr. Apea – owns a clinic at Bomso
  • Dr. Kofi Konadu Apraku – politician, hails from the northern part of Offinso
  • Adiyiah Dominic – striker, Arsenal Kyiv and the National Team (Black Stars of Ghana)
  • Dr. Nyarko – art education, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
  • Nana Sir Osei Sarpong, Mpehihene, and President, Offinso Monchengladbach Co-operation for Development
  • P. A. Okyere – author
  • Osei Kwabena Rudolf – CEO, Holy Uriel Printers, Kwadaso
  • The Late Hon. Kwabena Safo – MP Offinso South Constituency, 2001 - 2005
  • Dr. K.K Sarpong – chairman of Kumasi Asante Kotoko FC
  • Babara Serwa – politician, National Democratic Congress

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Towns in this Municipality". Ghana Districts. Retrieved 26 July 2012. 
  2. ^ a b c d "Cultural Heritage and Customs". Ghana Districts. Retrieved 26 July 2012. 

Sources[edit]

Coordinates: 6°59′20″N 1°41′24″W / 6.989°N 1.69°W / 6.989; -1.69