Theatrical release Poster
|Directed by||B. V. Nandini Reddy|
|Produced by||D. Suresh Babu|
Hyunwoo Thomas Kim
|Written by||Lakshmi Bhupala (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||B. V. Nandini Reddy|
|Music by||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Edited by||Junaid Siddique|
|Budget||₹10 crore (US$1.4 million)|
|Box office||₹40 crore (US$5.8 million)|
Oh! Baby is a 2019 Indian bilingual Tamil Telugu fantasy comedy film, directed by B. V. Nandini Reddy. A remake of the South Korean film Miss Granny, it stars Samantha Akkineni, Naga Shaurya, Lakshmi, Rajendra Prasad in the lead roles and music composed by Mickey J. Meyer. Principal photography of the film began in December 2018. The film released theatrically on 5 July 2019 and has received positive reviews, with praise towards Samantha's performance. A remake is in development by Sajid Nadiadwala titled Jabudani.
Savitri / Baby (Lakshmi), a 70-year-old woman, is a cook who runs a canteen in a college, which is co-owned by her childhood friend Chanti (Rajendra Prasad), where her son Shekar / Nani (Rao Ramesh) also works as a lecturer. She has a very beautiful voice and wants her grandson Rocky (Teja Sajja), who is interested in singing, to fulfill her dreams. But her relationship with her daughter-in-law Madhavi (Pragathi) does not run on good terms. Things get worse when Madhavi gets a heart attack and do not want to live with Baby. Even the doctors also suggest the same. Knowing this, heartbroken, Baby leaves the house and accuses God of her fate. On the way, Rocky calls her for his first music performance at an exhibition where God (Jagapathi Babu) appears in the form of a saint, presents her a statue of Lord Ganesha and says that it will change her fate. Nevertheless, she finds a photo studio and enters with a hope of getting a good photograph as she would like to print a beautiful photo of hers after her death in the newspaper. The same person appears as the photographer and promises to get back her beauty, after taking the picture, astoundingly, she turns into a 24-year-old young lady (Samantha Akkineni). Looking at it, she becomes bewildered when God appears again as a hippie and tells her that this new life is given to fill with joy and enlightenment. Thereafter, she joins as a tenant in Chanti's house changing her name as Swathi, starts a new life and also teams up with her grandson Rocky and becomes a part of the band. Meanwhile, Chanti realizes Swati itself is Baby and supports her at every step. Meanwhile, Vikram (Naga Shaurya), the head of the music company, likes Baby / Swathi's voice and gives her band an opportunity. After a lot of romantic comedy, Vikram proposes to Swathi when she is totally confused. At the same time, Chanti learns that if Baby loses her blood she again turns into an old lady. At last, the D-day finale of the competition, unfortunately, Rocky meets with an accident, yet, Baby participates and acquires the victory to see her grandson at peaks. Here Baby / Swathi writes a letter to Vikram telling him to keep their acquaintance as a sweet memory and to always be smiling. After reaching hospital she finds Rocky requires AB-ve blood which Baby donates, even though Chanti & Nani oppose, and transforms into the old lady. In the Climax, God is shown transforming Chanti into a young boy (Akkineni Naga Chaitanya).
- Samantha Akkineni as 24 year-old Baby / Swathi
- Lakshmi as 70 year-old Baby / Savitri
- Naga Shaurya as Vikram
- Rajendra Prasad as Pasupaleti Kanakaraju / Chanti
- Rao Ramesh as Nani / Shekar, Baby's son
- Teja Sajja as Rocky, Baby’s grandson
- Raja Ravindra as Inspector Sarma
- Pragathi as Madhavi, Baby’s daughter-in-law
- Aishwarya as Vikram's mother
- Urvashi as Sulochana
- Aneesha Dama as Divya, Baby's granddaughter
- Snigdha as Jahnavi, Vikram's assistant
- Sunayana as Anasuya, Chanti's daughter
- Mirchi Hemanth as Anji, Rocky's friend
- Shreyas Wannere as Asif
- Jagapathi Babu as God
- Akkineni Naga Chaitanya as Young Chanti
- Adivi Sesh as Savitri's husband
- Suma Kanakala as anchor on TV
- B. V. Nandini Reddy as a doctor
During November 2018, pre-production of an untitled film commenced with costume selection. Initially titled as "O Baby" with the tagline as "Yentha Sakkagunnave" with Samantha Akkineni in the lead role, the full title was revealed to be as O Baby! Yentha Sakkagunnave in December 2018, being bankrolled by Sunitha Tati , People's Media Factory and Suresh Productions. The films title is being inspired from one of her song "Yentha Sakkagunnave", which describes the beauty of Samantha in the film, Rangasthalam.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||30 June 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Mickey J. Meyer chronology|
|1.||"Oh! Baby"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Anurag Kulkarni||4:04|
|2.||"Naalo Maimarapu"||Bhaskarabhatla||Mohana Bhogaraju||3:48|
|3.||"Maha Adhbhutham"||Bhaskarabhatla||Nutana Mohan||3:21|
|5.||"Aakasham lona"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Nutana Mohan||3:49|
|6.||"Anaganaganaga"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Sreerama Chandra||3:07|
Marketing and release
The first look of film presenting Samantha Akkineni was released on 21 May 2019. The teaser of the film released on 25 May 25. The official theatrical trailer of the film was released on 20 June by Suresh Productions.
The movie was planned to be released on 5 July 2019, along with its dubbed version in Tamil language; it was released in India at this time, and in Kuwait and the United States on July 4, a day earlier.
- "Samantha releases a new poster of 'Oh Baby' explaining her character - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- Raja, Sekar (28 December 2018). "Samantha to play Trisha's role in 96 Telugu remake; actress currently shooting for Miss Granny". Firstpost. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Hyderabad Times [@HydTimes] (28 November 2018). "Here's a sneak peek of @Samanthaprabhu2's costumes from her upcoming film with #NandiniReddy" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Samantha's next titled O Baby!". Sify. 14 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha's Miss Granny shoot commenced". Sify. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha begins shooting for Nandini Reddy directorial 'O Baby'". The News Minute. Digital Native. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Vyas (15 December 2018). "'Rangasthalam' song as Samatha's title". The Hans India. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Is Samantha's film with Nandini Reddy a remake of Korean flick Miss Granny?". India Today. Chennai. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Rao Ramesh to play Samantha's son in Oh Baby?". Sify. 28 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "A role reversal for Rao Ramesh". Deccan Chronicle. 29 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha Oh Baby First Look | Galli News". Gallinews.Co.In, 2019, http://www.gallinews.co.in/first-look-samantha-in-oh-baby/.
- Movies, iQlik. "Samantha's Favourite Role Ever Is From 'Oh Baby'". iQlikmovies. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- 100010509524078 (15 March 2019). "ஓ பேபி படத்தை முடித்த சமந்தா". Maalaimalar. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Samantha wraps up her next, Oh Baby". Deccan Chronicle. 17 March 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Oh! Baby first look poster: Samantha Akkineni's upbeat avatar is sure to win your heart - check out". Times Now News. 21 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Oh Baby teaser out: Samantha promises one hell of a ride. [online] India Today. Available at: https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/regional-cinema/story/oh-baby-teaser-out-samantha-promises-one-hell-of-a-ride-1534637-2019-05-25 [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- Staff, S. and Staff, S. (2019). ‘Oh Baby’ teaser: Samantha Akkineni is a 20-something with a 70-year-old soul. [online] Scroll.in. Available at: https://scroll.in/reel/924723/oh-baby-teaser-samantha-akkineni-is-a-20-something-with-a-70-year-old-soul [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- News18. (2019). Samantha Akkineni's Oh Baby Teaser is Cuteness Loaded with Musical Fun, Watch Here. [online] Available at: https://www.news18.com/news/movies/samantha-akkinenis-oh-baby-teaser-is-cuteness-loaded-with-musical-fun-watch-here-2159589.html [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- "Oh Baby Theatrical Trailer | Samantha Akkineni, Naga Shaurya | Nandini Reddy | Suresh Productions". YouTube. Suresh Productions. 20 June 2019.
- "Watch: Trailer of Samantha's 'Oh Baby' promises good fun". The News Minute. Digital Native. 20 June 2019. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Oh Baby... (2019) - Release Info - IMDb". IMDb. 9 July 2019.