Oh, Lady Be Good!
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (April 2016)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Oh, Lady Be Good! is a 1924 song by George and Ira Gershwin. It was introduced by Walter Catlett in the Broadway musical Lady, Be Good!, written by Guy Bolton, Fred Thompson, and the Gershwin brothers, starring Fred and Adele Astaire. It ran for 330 performances in its original Broadway run.
The song is also performed in the film Lady Be Good (1941), although the film itself is unrelated to the musical play.
A 1947 recording of the song became a hit for Ella Fitzgerald, notable for her scat solo. The song became identified with Fitzgerald, and she sang it many times in live performance. For her album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook (1959), it was sung as a ballad, arranged by Nelson Riddle.
- Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra - rec. December 29, 1924 - released as Victor 19551
- Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards - rec. January 2, 1925 - released as Pathe 025130, matrix 105767
- Jack Hylton and his Orchestra - rec. March 29, 1926 - released as Bb 8191-2
- Buddy Lee with the Gilt-Edged Four - rec. May 17, 1926 - released as Columbia 3981, matrix WA 3256
- Buck and Bubbles - rec. December 26, 1933 - released as Columbia 2873-D, matrix W 152661-3
- Benny Goodman Trio - rec. April 27, 1936. Released June 3, Victor 25333, matrix BS-100500, as the B-side of China Boy
- Jones-Smith Incorporated (feat. Lester Young and Count Basie) - rec. October 9, 1936 - released as Vocalion 3459, matrix C-1660-1
- Slim & Slam - rec. May 3, 1938 - released as Vocalion 22849
- Artie Shaw and his Orchestra - Performed in the Warner Brothers/Vitaphone short subject Artie Shaw's Symphony In Swing (June,1939) - rec. August 27, 1939 - released as Bluebird B10430-A, matrix 042609-1
- Count Basie - rec. February 4, 1939 - released as Decca (American) 2631-A ; matrix 64985
- Charlie Parker - rec. at the Philharmonic Auditorium (Los Angeles, California), January 28, 1946, as part of the Jazz at the Philharmonic series
- Ella Fitzgerald - rec. March 18, 1947 - released as Decca 23956, matrix 73820
- Fred Astaire - rec. December 1952 - from the LP The Astaire Story
- The Gordons with Dizzy Gillespie and Stuff Smith - rec. April 17, 1957
- Ella Fitzgerald - rec. 1959 - from Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook
- Joe Carroll - The Man with the Happy Sound (1962)
- Mel Tormé and Buddy Rich - Together Again: For the First Time (1978)
- Rob Agerbeek on his 1998 album Three of a Kind
- 78 RPM Record, Artist:Benny Goodman Trio Tracklist
- "Oh, Lady Be Good!". jazzstandards.com.