Oh Lonesome Me
|"Oh Lonesome Me"|
|Single by Don Gibson|
|from the album Oh Lonesome Me|
|B-side||"I Can't Stop Loving You"|
|Don Gibson singles chronology|
|"Oh Lonesome Me"|
|Single by The Kentucky Headhunters|
|from the album Pickin' on Nashville|
|B-side||"My Daddy Was a Milkman"|
|Genre||Country, Southern rock|
|Producer(s)||The Kentucky Headhunters|
|The Kentucky Headhunters singles chronology|
"Oh Lonesome Me" is a popular song written and recorded in December 1957 by Don Gibson with Chet Atkins producing it for RCA Victor in Nashville. Released in 1958, the song topped the country chart for eight non-consecutive weeks in addition to reaching No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100. Its B-side was "I Can't Stop Loving You", which peaked at No. 7 on the C&W Jockey charts and became a standard song about unrequited love. The vocal backings on both songs were provided by the Jordanaires.
The Kentucky Headhunters version
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||19|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||8|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||73|
- 1961: Johnny Cash (went to #13)
- 1962: Craig Douglas released a cover version in Great Britain on Decca Records under the production of Bunny Lewis. Douglas' version entered the British singles charts on October 20, 1962, stayed there for twelve weeks and the best position was as # 11.
- 1962: Larry Finnegan as a single
- 1970: Stonewall Jackson (went to #63)
- 1970: Neil Young (slower version, on After The Gold Rush)
- 1978: Loretta Lynn on episode 308 of The Muppet Show
- 2007: Southern Culture On The Skids
- 2009: M. Ward included in the album Hold Time
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 10 - Tennessee Firebird: American country music before and after Elvis. [Part 2]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 157. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Gillett, Charlie (1996). The Sound of the City: The Rise of Rock and Roll ((2nd Ed.) ed.). New York, N.Y.: Da Capo Press. pp. 108–109. ISBN 0-306-80683-5.
- Whitburn, p. 223
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7997." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 18, 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "The Kentucky Headhunters – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for The Kentucky Headhunters.
- "Best of 1990: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Whitburn, p. 84
- Chart Stats - Images - Singles - 3279.jpg
- Chart Stats - Craig Douglas - Og Lonesome Me
- Larry Finnegan, "Oh Lonesome Me" single release Retrieved June 25, 2015
- Whitburn, p. 203
"Ballad of a Teenage Queen" by Johnny Cash
|C&W Best Sellers in Stores
number one single
April 14, 1958 - May 26, 1958
June 16, 1958
"All I Have to Do Is Dream" by The Everly Brothers
"Guess Things Happen That Way" by Johnny Cash
by Ferlin Husky
|Billboard C&W Best Sellers in Stores
number-one single of the year
"The Battle of New Orleans"
by Johnny Horton