Oh My My (Ringo Starr song)
|"Oh My My"|
Netherlands picture sleeve
|Single by Ringo Starr|
|from the album Ringo|
|B-side||"Step Lightly" (US)
"No No Song" (UK)
|Released||18 February 1974 (US)
9 January 1976 (UK)
|Format||7-inch vinyl record|
|Writer(s)||Richard Starkey, Vini Poncia|
|Ringo Starr singles chronology|
"Oh My My" is a song by English musician Ringo Starr from his 1973 album Ringo. It was also issued as the third single from the album, becoming a top-five hit in the United States and Canada. The recording was produced by Richard Perry and includes backing vocals by Merry Clayton and Martha Reeves.
"Oh My My" was co-written by Starr (credited by his real name, "Richard Starkey") and Vini Poncia, a frequent collaborator of Starr's during the 1970s. Billy Preston plays keyboards on the track. Both Starr and Jim Keltner play drums, while Klaus Voormann plays bass. Tom Scott plays the saxophone solo.
The song was first released as the opening track on side two of the Ringo LP, in November 1973. Issued as a single on 18 February 1974 in the US,[nb 1] "Oh My My" peaked at number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 3 in Canada and number 24 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, making it one of the most successful songs of Starr's career. The song was released on a UK single on 9 January 1976,[nb 2] backed with "No No Song", to promote Starr's Blast from Your Past compilation album.
- The song was covered by Ike & Tina Turner, who performed it on a 1974 episode of Soul Train.
- Bette Midler performed a cover of the track on her live album Live at Last.
- David Hentschel released an instrumental version on Starr's own Ring O'Records label, in 1975.
- Maggie Bell recorded the song in 1974.
- Kirka, a Finnish band, released the song with Finnish lyrics.
- Rodriguez, Robert (2010). Fab Four FAQ 2.0: The Beatles' Solo Years, 1970–1980 (illustrated ed.). New York: Backbeat Books. p. 74. ISBN 9780879309688.
- Harry, Bill (2004). The Ringo Starr Encyclopedia. London: Virgin Books. p. 183. ISBN 9780753508435.
- Harry, Bill (2004). The Ringo Starr Encyclopedia. London: Virgin Books. p. 182. ISBN 9780753508435.
- "Ringo Starr - Oh My My". Jpgr.co.uk. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Jackson, Andrew Grant (2012). Still the Greatest: The Essential Songs of the Beatles' Solo Careers (illustrated ed.). Scarecrow Press. p. 118. ISBN 9780810882225.
- Viglione, Joe. "Live at Last - Bette Midler : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 29 December 2012.