|Song by John Lennon|
|from the album Imagine|
|Released||9 September 1971 (US) |
8 October 1971 (UK)
|Recorded||25 May–5 July 1971|
|Producer(s)||John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and Phil Spector|
"Oh Yoko!" is a 1971 song written and performed by John Lennon,. It was first released on his album Imagine, and was later included in the greatest hits compilation Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon.
The song was written about his wife Yoko Ono, and features Nicky Hopkins on piano and co-producer Phil Spector on harmony vocal. Lennon plays harmonica for the first time on a solo recording (since the Beatles' "Rocky Raccoon"), and it would also be the last time he used the instrument in a released recording.
Lennon began writing the song in 1968 during the Beatles' visit to India, but was not fully completed until the sessions for Imagine three years later. The melody was inspired by Lonnie Donegan's "Lost John", a song Lennon enjoyed and played often. The song was recorded on 25 May 1971 at Ascot Sound Studios. Robert Christgau called it "an instant folk song worthy of Rosie & the Originals".
In popular culture
- The song was featured in the 1998 film Rushmore, starring Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman.
- In 1973, Japanese artist Keiichi Tanaami made an animated short based on the song.
- John Lennon – vocals, electric guitar, harmonica
- Nicky Hopkins – piano
- Klaus Voormann – bass
- Alan White – drums
- Phil Spector – harmony vocal
- Rod Linton – acoustic guitar
- Andy Davis – acoustic guitar
- Lewis, Stephen (20 March 2013). "Top 10 John Lennon Love Songs". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "John Lennon: Oh Yoko! | The Beatles Bible". www.beatlesbible.com. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Madinger, Chip; Raile, Scott (2015). LENNONOLOGY Strange Days Indeed - A Scrapbook Of Madness. Chesterfield, MO: Open Your Books, LLC. pp. 239, 247. ISBN 978-1-63110-175-5.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "John Lennon: Imagine". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 0899190251. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Keiichi Tanaami. "Keiichi Tanaami - Oh! Yoko! (1973)". YouTube. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
|This article about a song by one or more members of the Beatles is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|