Ohio Cardinal Conference
|Classification||OHSAA Divisions I-IV|
|No. of members||8|
The previous Cardinal Conference included: New Philadelphia, Dover, Coshocton, Ashland, Mansfield Malabar & Mansfield Madison.
The Ohio Cardinal Conference, which began play in 2003, is an OHSAA athletic league whose members are from Ashland, Holmes, Richland, and Wayne counties in Ohio. The conference name stems from the local legacy of the Cardinal Conference.
In 2001, local athletic directors met in Mansfield, Ohio to discuss the formation of a new athletic conference; seven schools agreed to form the Ohio Cardinal Conference. Clear Fork, the only non-original member of the conference, joined for the 2004-05 season. Five of the initial member schools came from the disbanding Ohio Heartland Conference: Ashland, Lexington, Mansfield Madison, Mansfield Senior, and Orrville. West Holmes joined from the Mohican-Area Conference, and Wooster from the Federal League.
Bureaucratically, the conference had some early struggles. The first conference commissioner, Jim Glauer, resigned in 2002 before the league even began play. He was replaced by Ron Dessecker from Orrville, who remains the current commissioner.
Lexington High School has dominated the OCC athletically since the conference's inception. It has won nine consecutive all-sports trophies, the award given to the school with the greatest success in all conference athletic competitions. It also has won the girls' tennis conference title every year in the conference's history, and has won three state title in that sport. The Lex boys' tennis team won all but one conference title and two state titles in the same. Other schools have dominated specific sports in much the same way:Madison girls have dominated the league in volleyball, and boys' baseball. Mansfield Senior has been the champion or co-champion in boys' basketball in nine of 11 league seasons, Wooster has won all eleven boys' swimming and nine girls' swimming titles, and Ashland had four running girls' soccer championships.
West Holmes High School revived discussions that had begun in 2007 with the East Central Ohio League to leave the Ohio Cardinal Conference effective the 2009-10 school year, which would leave the conference with an odd number of teams. West Holmes has since decided, at least for the time being, to remain in the Ohio Cardinal Conference.
In March 2015, Orrville was invited to join the PAC-8 in 2016 as a replacement for schools that are leaving that league. As a result of the Red Riders' imminent departure, Mount Vernon was invited to replace them in 2016.
|Clear Fork||Colts||Bellville||Green, Black, White
||Clear Fork MS||2004-2017|
|Madison Comprehensive||Rams||Madison Twp.||Green, White
|Mount Vernon||Yellow Jackets||Mount Vernon||Orange, Black
||Mount Vernon MS||2016-|
|West Holmes||Knights||Millersburg||Blue, Red, White
||West Holmes MS||2003-|
|Orrville||Red Riders||Orrville||Red, White, Black
- Wooster vs. Madison
- Mansfield vs. Madison
- Ashland vs. Lexington
- Mansfield vs. Ashland
- Lexington vs. Clear Fork
- Orrville vs. Wooster
- West Holmes vs. Triway
- West Holmes vs. Hiland
- Madison vs. Shelby
- Lexington vs. Ontario
- Mansfield Sr. vs. Massillion Washington
This table only includes state championships won by schools while a member of the Ohio Cardinal Conference:
|Clear Fork||Boys' Baseball||2010|
|Lexington||girls' tennis; boys' tennis,||2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012; 2004, 2013|
|West Holmes||Girls' Basketball||2014|
|School Year||Football||Cross Country||Soccer||Golf||Basketball||Wrestling||Swimming||Baseball||Track & Field||Tennis|
|2003-04||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington||Ashland||Wooster, Mansfield||West Holmes||Wooster||Ashland||Wooster||Lexington|
|2004-05||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington||Ashland||Mansfield ||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington, Madison||Ashland||Lexington|
|2005-06||Madison, Orrville||Lexington||Ashland, Wooster||Ashland, Wooster||Mansfield ||Ashland||Wooster||Madison||Lexington||Lexington|
|2006-07||Ashland||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington||Mansfield ||West Holmes||Wooster||Ashland||Lexington||Wooster|
|2007-08||Ashland||Lexington||Wooster||Lexington||Lexington, Mansfield ||West Holmes||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington||Lexington|
|2008-09||Lexington||Lexington||Lexington||Ashland||Madison ||Lexington||Wooster||Clear Fork||Lexington||Lexington|
|2009-10||Ashland||Lexington||Clear Fork, Lexington||Ashland||Mansfield ||Lexington||Wooster||Clear Fork||Lexington||Lexington|
|2010-11||Clear Fork||Ashland||Wooster||Ashland||Lexington ||Lexington||Wooster||Wooster||Lexington||Lexington|
|2011-12||Ashland||Wooster||Madison||Ashland||Lexington, Mansfield ||Lexington||Wooster||Ashland||Lexington||Lexington|
|2012-13||Madison, Mansfield, West Holmes||Ashland||Ashland||Lexington||Mansfield||Lexington||Wooster||Lexington||Wooster||Lexington|
|2014-15||West Holmes, Wooster||Ashland||Lexington||Lexington||Wooster|
|2015-16||Ashland, Mansfield, Wooster|
|School Year||Volleyball||Cross Country||Soccer||Tennis||Golf||Basketball||Swimming||Softball||Track & Field|
|2003-04||Orrville||Ashland||Lexington||Lexington||began in 2013||Orrville||Wooster||Ashland||Lexington|
|2004-05||Orrville, Madison, Lexington, West Holmes||Ashland||Ashland||Lexington||n/a||Orrville||Lexington||Lexington||Lexington|
|2005-06||Wooster||Lexington||Ashland||Lexington||n/a||Wooster ||Wooster||Clear Fork||Ashland|
|2007-08||Wooster||Lexington||Ashland||Lexington||n/a||West Holmes||Wooster||Clear Fork, Wooster||Orrville|
|2008-09||Madison||Wooster||Ashland||Lexington||n/a||West Holmes||Wooster||Clear Fork, Lexington||Ashland|
|2009-10||Lexington, Madison, Orrville||Lexington||Lexington, Wooster||Lexington||n/a||Orrville ||Wooster||Clear Fork||Ashland|
|2010-11||Madison||Lexington||Clear Fork||Lexington||n/a||West Holmes||Lexington||Clear Fork||Ashland|
|2012-13||Lexington||Lexington||Ashland||Lexington||n/a||West Holmes||Wooster||Madison||West Holmes|
|2013-14||Madison, Orrville||Lexington||Clear Fork||Lexington||Ashland||West Holmes||Wooster||Ashland||West Holmes|
All Sports Championships
Ohio High School Athletic Conferences Clear Fork Basketball 2002
- "The History of the Ohio Cardinal Conference." Ohio Cardinal Conference http://www.occsports.org/history.html. Accessed June 17, 2008.
- McCormick, Michael. "New league provides sense of rivalry." Coshocton Tribune, August 22, 2003
- Ogle, Gary. "Glauer leaves OCC." Mansfield News Journal, October 18, 2002.
- Kinton, Jami. "Class of 2008: Lexington sending record 24 seniors into college sports." Mansfield News Journal, June 5, 2008. http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/SPORTS/806050332. Accessed June 28, 2008.
- "Lexington wins OCC all-sports trophy." Ashland Times-Gazette, June 11, 2008. http://www.times-gazette.com/news/article/3925631. Accessed June 28, 2008.
- Dorksen, Aaron. "West Holmes' Kaufman explains interest in ECOL." The Wooster Daily Record, February 22, 2008.
- King, Steve (March 17, 2015). "Princpals Athletic Conference plans its future". The Suburbanite. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "Mount Vernon to join Ohio Cardinal Conference". Mount Vernon News. March 29, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "Clear Fork, Ontario to join MOAC". Morrow County Sentinel. March 10, 2016. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Paulk, Ralph (1985-10-31). "Must-win arch-rival in Wooster's playoff path". Akron Beacon Journal.
- Phillips, Larry (2002-10-25). "OHC football closes in fitting style". Mansfield News Journal.
- "Davis, Fraley spark Colts". Mansfield News Journal. 2004-12-11.
- Lilley, Bill (1989-11-23). "McFarland retires as Wooster coach leaves after 17 seasons". Akron Beacon Journal.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Ohio_High_School_Athletic_Association" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).