|1001 Fleet Street, 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland, Baltimore City 21202
Connections Academy is an online school provider for grades K-12. It is based in Baltimore and is a division of Connections Education, LLC, which is owned by the UK-based, publicly traded Pearson PLC. It supports public online schools for grades K-12 across the United States. A private online school, International Connections Academy, is also available to students who live abroad. Online schools are an alternative to traditional public schools. Similar to charter schools, they are subsidized by the state. Although they contract with many non-profit schools, they are not a non-profit organization.
In the Spring of 2001, Sylvan Ventures started a separate business unit to create a virtual school program with its first virtual schools beginning in Wisconsin and Colorado. The company first began providing online school services to two schools in the Fall of 2002. In September 2004, Connections Academy was sold to an investor group led by Apollo Management, L.P. The company now operates public schools under management contracts from charter schools or school districts.
A new corporate entity called Connections Education was established in early 2011. In this same year, on September 15, 2011, Pearson, an international learning company, acquired Connections Education for in excess of $400 million.
Connections Education consists of two education-focused divisions including Connections Academy and Pearson Online & Blended Learning that serves educational institutions and other organizations with online learning solutions.
In October 2017, Alabama became the 34th state to partner with Connection Academy.
2016 & 2015 awards include:
- USDLA "Outstanding Leadership in the Field of Distance Learning" 2016 awarded to Amada Ebel, Executive Director, South Carolina Connections Academy
- Ohio Connections Academy recognized with a 2015 Momentum Award by Ohio State Board of Education, 2016
- Indiana Connections Academy Recognized for Counseling Program, 2015
- Lea Ann Lockard, Executive Director of Texas Connections Academy @ Houston, EdTech Leadership Award, 2016
- Dr. Patricia Hoge, Connections Education Executive Vice President of Curriculum and Instruction and Chief Academic Officer, USDLA Award for Outstanding Leadership by an Individual in the Field of Distance Learning, 2015
- Connections Education Named "Top Workplace" by The Baltimore Sun for third consecutive year, 2015
- Connections Education Awarded Renewed AdvancED Accreditation, 2015
- Connections Education's Connexus® education management system, GradPoint, and education technology online learning courses Win Tech&Learning Award of Excellence for Best Upgraded Products, 2015
- Connections Education Wins Three BESSIE Awards for Exemplary Educational Software, 2015
- Connections Education Middle School Art Wins CODiE Award—Honored in Best Arts & Creativity Solution category, 2015
- "Making Connections - Education Next". Education Next. 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Mitic, Ginanne Brownell. "Do the Math: The Percentage of Expat Homeschoolers Is Growing". WSJ. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Competing for the Virtual Student -- THE Journal". THE Journal. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Connections Academy- Homeschooling Resources". Homeschool.com. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Henry, Bryan. "Schools of the future: Inside Alabama's virtual public school". Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "Multinational giant set to run first virtual school in Maine". The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- http://www.connectionsacademy.com/news/pearson-acquisition.aspx , Connections Academy, retrieved 2012-08-01
- "USDLA 2016 International Awards Presented for Excellence in Distance Learning for Individuals, Organizations and Companies Honoring their Outstanding Achievements". PRWeb. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Ohio Department of Education". Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- "RAMP Recipients | American School Counselor Association (ASCA)". www.schoolcounselor.org. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- victorrivero (2016-03-15). "2016 – Finalists & Winners". edtechdigest.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Connections Education wins International Distance Learning Awards". www.connectionsacademy.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Top Workplaces - Page 25 - NO .9 Connections Education". marketplace.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Connections Education Awarded Renewed AdvancED Accreditation". www.connectionsacademy.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Pearson Leads the 2015 Tech & Learning Magazine Awards of Excellence With Nine Winners". PRWeb. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "ComputED Gazette - 2016 BESSIE Awards". computedgazette.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Connections Education Middle School Arts Wins 2015 Software & Information Industry Association CODiE Award". www.connectionsacademy.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.