Ohio Department of Education
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Education in the United States|
United States portal
The Ohio Department of Education (ODE) is the administrative department of the Ohio state government responsible for primary and secondary public education in the state. The Ohio State Board of Education is the governing body of the department and is responsible for overseeing the department. The board employs the Superintendent of Public Instruction, who runs the department. The department is headquartered in Columbus.
The department is responsible for implementing standardized tests required by state and federal law, including the Ohio Achievement Test (OAT), Ohio Graduation Test (OGT), and the Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment (OELPA, formerly OTELA). The State Board of Education does not have jurisdiction over higher education; Ohio's public colleges and universities are governed as part of the University System of Ohio by the Ohio Board of Regents and by the boards of trustees of each institution.
State Board of Education
The Board of Education consists of 19 members. All serve four-year terms.
Eleven of these are elected from 11 single-member districts, which are formed by combining three contiguous Ohio Senate districts. The elected members' terms are staggered so that half of the board is elected in each even-numbered year. The governor appoints eight members. All serve four year terms. The elected members' terms are staggered so that half of the board is elected in each even-numbered year. Vacancies in the elected membership are filled by appointment by the governor. The chairman of the Ohio House of Representatives Education Committee and his or her counterpart in the Ohio State Senate are ex officio members.
- District 1 - Ann E. Jacobs, Lima is an attorney in private practice. She previously worked for the EEOC and the Ohio Attorney General's office, and served as president of the Shawnee Local School Board.
- District 2 - Kathleen A. McGervey, Avon is a professional engineer and surveyor. She has experience tutoring students in English and math, and is a graduate of Cleveland State University.
- District 3 - A.J. Wagner, Dayton
- District 4 - Pat Bruns, Cincinnati
- District 5 - Roslyn Painter-Goffi, Strongsville
- District 6 - Michael L. Collins, Westerville is a marketing executive and consultant for several large civic organizations. He served as president of the Westerville Board of Education, and is a former director of the Center for Community and Educational Planning at The Ohio State University, and the Center for Community Education at the Ohio Department of Education.
- District 7 - Sarah Fowler, Rock Creek is a homeschool graduate and former small business owner. She works in her parents' business doing graphic design and marketing. She was elected in 2012 to fill an unexpired term.
- District 8 - Vacant
- District 9 - Stephanie Dodd, Hebron is a political and fundraising consultant. She previously worked in a Fortune 500 company in government relations, PAC fundraising and finance.
- District 10 - Ronald W. Rudduck, Wilmington served more than 10 years as superintendent of Clinton-Massie Local School District in southwest Ohio, and previously as a teacher and principal. He is currently an adjunct professor at Xavier University and Antioch University Midwest, teaching school finance, business affairs and facilities.
- District 11 - Meryl Johnson, Cleveland She previously taught in the Cleveland Municipal School District.
- Thomas W. Gunlock, (President), Centerville, is director of construction and property management at RG Properties in Dayton. He previously taught high school and also coached football at Morehead State University. He has also served on the board of a Head Start agency.
- Tess Elshoff, (Vice President), New Knoxville, is a stay-at-home mother of five. Until 2011, she served on the New Knoxville School Board.
- Melanie P. Bolender, Mount Vernon
- Joseph L. Farmer, Baltimore, works for Delta Air Lines in Columbus. From 1992 until 2011, he served on the Liberty Union-Thurston School Board. He was appointed by Gov. Kasich in 2011.
- Cathye Flory, Logan
- C. Todd Jones, New Albany, is a Columbus lobbyist and president of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio. He previously served in various positions in the George W. Bush administration. He was appointed by Gov. John Kasich in January 2011 to fill an unexpired term, and reappointed to a full term in January 2013.
- Dr. Frank Pettigrew, Ashland
- Rebecca Vazquez-Skillings, Westerville
The chairs of the Ohio House of Representatives and Ohio Senate education committees are ex officio non-voting members of the board. The board is responsible for choosing a Superintendent of Public Instruction, who manages the day-to-day affairs of the Department of Education.
- Ohio Rev. Code § 3301.13
- Ohio Rev. Code § 3301.01 et seq.
- "About ODE". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Official Results for the November 6, 2012 General Election". Ohio Secretary of State. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on July 29, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "State Board of Education Members". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Ann E. Jacobs, District 1 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Term expires December 31, 2016
- "Kathleen A. McGervey, District 2 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Term expires December 31, 2014
- "Michael L. Collins, District 6 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Sarah Fowler, District 7 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Stephanie Dodd, District 9 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Ronald W. Rudduck, District 10 (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Bloom, Molly (January 9, 2013). "Former Teacher Darryl Mehaffie Appointed to Ohio State Board of Education". State Impact Ohio - Education. NPR.org. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Tom Gunlock, Member At-Large (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Tess Elshoff, Member At-Large (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Joseph L. Farmer, Member At-Large (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "C. Todd Jones, Member At-Large (bio)". education.ohio.gov. Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Bloom, Molly (January 11, 2013). "Gov. Kasich Makes Three Appointments to State Board of Education: Angela Thi Bennett, C. Todd Jones, Mark A. Smith". State Impact Ohio - Education. NPR.org. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Candisky, Catherine (2007-07-11). "Anti-bullying policy OK'd". dispatch.com. Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2013-09-13.