Ohio State Treasurer
|State Treasurer of Ohio|
Seal of the State Treasurer of Ohio
|Term length||Four years, two term limit|
|Inaugural holder||John Armstrong
|Website||Office of the Treasurer|
The treasurer of the U.S. State of Ohio is responsible for collecting and safeguarding taxes and fees, and managing state investments. The Treasury was located in the Ohio Statehouse from 1861 to 1974, when it was moved to the Rhodes State Office Tower. The original office in the statehouse has been restored to its nineteenth-century appearance, and is used for ceremonial events.
Before Ohio became a state, John Armstrong was Treasurer-General of the Northwest Territory from 1796 to 1803. He was appointed to the post by the United States Congress. Under the first constitution of Ohio, 1803 to 1851, the state legislature appointed a treasurer. Since the second constitution in 1852, the office has been elective.
List of Ohio State Treasurers
|#||Name||Term of Office||Party|
|2||Hiram M. Curry||1816–1820|
|6||Albert A. Bliss||1847–1852||Whig|
|7||John G. Breslin||1852–1856||Democratic|
|8||William Harvey Gibson||1856–1857||Republican|
|9||Alfred P. Stone||1857–1862||Republican|
|10||G. V. Dorsey||1862–1865||Republican|
|12||S. S. Warner||1866–1871||Republican|
|15||John M. Millikin||1876–1878||Republican|
|19||John C. Brown||1886–1892||Republican|
|20||William T. Cope||1892–1896||Republican|
|21||Samuel B. Campbell||1896–1900||Republican|
|22||Isaac B. Cameron||1900–1904||Republican|
|23||William S. McKinnon||1904–1908||Republican|
|24||Charles C. Green||1908–1909||Republican|
|25||David S. Creamer||1909–1913||Democratic|
|26||John P. Brennan||1913–1915||Democratic|
|27||Rudolph W. Archer||1915–1917||Republican|
|28||Chester E. Bryan||1917–1919||Democratic|
|29||Rudolph W. Archer||1919–1923||Republican|
|30||Harry S. Day||1923–1927||Republican|
|31||Bert B. Buckley||1927–1929||Republican|
|32||H. Ross Ake||1929–1930||Republican|
|33||Edwin A. Todd||1930–1931|
|34||Harry S. Day||1931–1937||Republican|
|35||Clarence H. Knisley||1937–1939|
|36||Don H. Ebright||1939–1951||Republican|
|37||Roger W. Tracy||1951–1959||Republican|
|38||Joseph T. Ferguson||1959–1963||Democratic|
|39||John D. Herbert||1963–1971||Republican|
|40||Gertrude W. Donahey||1971–1983||Democratic|
|41||Mary Ellen Withrow||1983–1994||Democratic|
|42||J. Kenneth Blackwell||1994–1999||Republican|
|43||Joseph T. Deters||1999–2005||Republican|
|Elections in Ohio|
- "History of the State Treasury". Ohio State Trearurer. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "2014 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Treasurer of State November 2, 2010". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Brown, Thad H (1923). Vote polled in the several counties of the State of Ohio at the Election held November 7, 1922 and at the Primary Elections held August 8, 1922. p. 15.
- Ohio General Assembly (1921). Journal of the House of Representatives of the 84th General Assembly of the State of Ohio. CIX. Columbus: F J Heer Printing. p. 22.
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the Eighty Second General Assembly of the State of Ohio. 1917. p. 27.
- Powell 1913 : 453-454
- Powell 1913 : 423
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 404 of pdf file
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 17 of pdf file
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 1667 of pdf file
- Powell 1913 : 379-380
- Powell 1913 : 371-372
- Taylor, William Alexander; Taylor, Aubrey Clarence (1899). Ohio statesmen and annals of progress: from the year 1788 to the year 1900 ... 2. State of Ohio. p. 121. page 388 of pdf file
- Smith 1898 : 665
- Smith 1898 : 644
- Smith 1898 : 605
- Smith 1898 : 579
- Smith 1898 : 541
- Smith 1898 : 512
- Smith 1898 : 473
- Smith 1898 : 450
- Smith 1898 : 406
- Smith 1898 : 379
- Smith 1898 : 342
- Smith 1898 : 319
- Smith 1898 : 286
- Smith 1898 : 268
- Smith 1898 : 238
- Smith 1898 : 209
- Smith 1898 : 161
- Smith 1898 : 140
- Smith 1898 : 95
- Smith 1898 : 74
- Smith 1898 : 40
- Bell 1876 : 120-121
- Bell 1876 : 114-115
- Smith, Joseph P, ed. (1898). History of the Republican Party in Ohio. I. Chicago: the Lewis Publishing Company.
- Bell, William, Jr. (1876). Annual report of the Secretary of State to the Governor and General Assembly for the year 1875... Ohio Secretary of State.
- Powell, Thomas Edward, ed. (1913). The Democratic party of the state of Ohio: a comprehensive history. 1. The Ohio Publishing Company.
- "Ohio State Treasurer website". Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Treasurers of State of the State of Ohio: 1796 - present". Jon Husted, Ohio Secretary of State. State of Ohio. Retrieved 29 July 2014.