Ohio Valley Wrestling
|Founder(s)||Nightmare Danny Davis|
|Formerly||NWA Ohio Valley Championship Wrestling|
Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) is an American independent professional wrestling promotion based in Louisville, Kentucky. OVW was initially a member promotion of the National Wrestling Alliance from its inception in 1997 until 2000, when it became the primary developmental territory for the World Wrestling Federation (now WWE). OVW remained in this role from 2000 until 2008.[unreliable source?] The promotion was unaffiliated from February 7, 2008 until November 2011, and is run by owner Nightmare Danny Davis.
In 2012, OVW became the farm territory for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA). However, the relationship ended on November 2, 2013. As of December 2011, over 100 OVW alumni have appeared in WWE.
OVW was founded by Nightmare Danny Davis in 1997 as an NWA member. However, OVW separated from NWA in 2000. After, the company became the farm territory of World Wrestling Federation/ Entertainment. Jim Cornette was head booker of OVW and majority investor, but he was fired by WWE for slapping a student, Anthony Carelli. He was replaced by Paul Heyman, who booked OVW until being called up to be the booker of the ECW brand. Greg Gagne was supposed to be booker after Heyman, but his knowledge of OVW was limited so the booking was extended to also include Al Snow and Danny Davis. Gagne was later released from the company, leaving booking to Snow and Davis.
In 2007, Cornette sold his share of the company back to Davis. On February 7, 2008, WWE announced that it had ended its relationship with OVW as a developmental territory, moving all contracted talent to Florida Championship Wrestling. However, on September 23, 2009, OVW announced via a press release from WWE that Senior EVP John Laurinaitis visited and scouted OVW wrestlers and that WWE will take "a much more active role in recruiting OVW developed talent". OVW and WWE maintained a close relationship as throughout 2008 and 2009 WWE-contracted talent would make occasional appearances on OVW shows and OVW talent has remained a large part of WWE's recruiting classes with eight members of the roster being signed to the WWE since February 2008 and many more being used on WWE programming as extras or enhancement talent. On February 22 and 23, 2010 the WWE in conjunction with OVW held a two-day tryout camp for independent wrestlers. It was the first event of this nature held outside Florida Championship Wrestling since FCW became WWE's sole developmental territory.
On September 8, 2010, in what was dubbed the company's season premiere, Danny Davis, who himself was making his return for the first time in over a year, announced that Jim Cornette was returning to his role as head booker of the company. Cornette, who is also executive producer of Ring of Honor's HD Net show, stated that Ring of Honor (ROH) talent as well as talent from other companies were going to work in OVW along with the current crop of stars and returning OVW stars in an effort to return the company to its previous reputation as the best independent wrestling company to get recruited from. A similar claim was made by Cornette during the announcement of the ROH HDnet program moving its tapings to the OVW/Davis arena.
On November 7, 2011, it was announced that OVW and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) had reached an agreement for OVW to become TNA's official training and developmental territory. TNA's Director of Talent Relations Al Snow returned as booker of the company, replacing the outgoing Jim Cornette. The relationship lasted for two years, before ending on November 2, 2013 after TNA ordered all of their talent to report to Orlando.
On July 7, 2015, Danny Davis sold OVW to an investor.
|Ohio Valley Wrestling TV|
|Created by||Nightmare Danny Davis|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||817 (as of April 18, 2015)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original channel|| WKYI-CD
OVW currently airs a 60-minute television program Saturdays in the Louisville area on WBNA-21 at 9:00AM and replay at 10:00 PM, and on WOBZ-LD in London, Kentucky at 9:00 p.m. OVW also has streaming video via their website ovwrestling.com, where new episodes are streamed on Thursdays following the previous Wednesday's television taping. The television shows originate from the Davis Arena in the Buechel neighborhood of Louisville.
Current champions and accomplishments
|Championship||Current champion(s)||Date won||Won from|
|OVW Heavyweight Championship||Chris Silvio||July 24, 2015||Eddie Diamond|
|OVW Television Championship||Randy Royal||July 22, 2015||Vacant|
|OVW Southern Tag Team Championship||Walk on the Wylde side
(Robbie Walker and Adam Wylde)
|July 8, 2015||War Machine
(Big Jon and Eric Locker)
|OVW Women's Championship||Vacated||November 1, 2014||Lei'D Tapa|
|Championship||Final champion||Date won||Won from||Notes|
|OVW Light Heavyweight Championship||Chris Michaels||April 12, 2000||Sean Casey||Retired on March 1, 2001.|
|OVW Hardcore Championship||Randy Orton||May 5, 2001||Flash Flanagan||Retired on May 5, 2001.|
|Ring name||Real name||Notes|
|Aaron Sky||Unknown||Inactive; Injured|
|Adam Revolver||Jared Pridgin|
|Adam Wylde||Unknown||OVW Southern Tag Team Champion|
|Big Jon||Jonathan Montgomery|
|Chris Silvio||Christopher Osterfield||OVW Heavyweight Champion|
|Cliff Compton||Cliff Compton|
|Dapper Dan||Daniel Anderson|
|Deonta Davis||Deonta Davis||Inactive; has not appeared in over 30 days|
|Dylan Bostic||Dylan Bostic|
|Eddie Diamond||Eduardo Simon|
|Elvis Pridemoore||Elvis Moore|
|Eric Locker||Eric Hastings|
|Leon Shelly||Robert Shell, Jr.|
|Marcus Anthony||Marcus Anthony|
|Melvin Maximus||Hany Salib||Inactive; has not appeared in over 30 days|
|Mohamad Ali Vaez||Ali Vaez|
|Randy Royal||Unknown||OVW Television Champion|
|Raul LaMotta||Aaron LaMotta||Inactive; has not appeared in over 30 days|
|Rob Conway||Robert Conway|
|Robbie Walker||Robbie Walker||OVW Southern Tag Team Champion|
|Rump Thump||Stephon Smith|
|Ryan Howe||Ryan Howe|
|Shiloh Jonze||Shiloh Mount|
|Stuart Miles||Stuart Perry|
|The Bodyguy||Iain Moore|
|The Mexicutioner||Roberto De Luna, Jr.|
|Timmy Danger||Unknown||Inactive; has not appeared in over 30 days|
|Ring name||Real name||Notes|
|Jessie Belle||Tiffany Dean Gravile||Valet of Randy Royal|
|Mary Elizabeth Monroe||Kelly Klein|
|Ray Lyn||Rachel Kelvington||Valet of Dylan Bostic|
|Rebel, Rebel||Tanea Brooks||Also competes for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Dean Hill||Color commentator|
|Gilbert Corsey||Play-by-play commentator
|Jim Cornette||Director of Operations|
|Josh Ashcraft||Manager of War Machine|
|Shannon The Dude||Ring Announcer|
|Terry Boddie||Color commentator|
|Joe Wheeler||Senior Referee|
|Danny Davis||Owner of OVW|
|Matt Cappotelli||Beginner Class|
|Rip Rogers||Head Trainer/Advanced Class|
|Trailer Park Trash (Frank Miller)||Intermediate Class
- "About OVW | Ohio Valley Wrestling". Ovwrestling.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Pro Wrestling's Daily News Source". 1Wrestling.com. 2008-02-07. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "TNA Impact Wrestling and OVW Sign Developmental Deal | Ohio Valley Wrestling". Ovwrestling.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "FRI. UPDATE: More TNA cost saving moves, Carters send e-mail to talent denying sale, Video game promotion, real story behind birth of one of greatest world title reigns, Legednary mafch, Classics on Demand, Weekend preview". F4wonline.com. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "TNA-OVW RELATIONSHIP ENDING, IMPACT ON THE ROAD IN 2014 AND MORE TNA NEWS". PWInsider.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- Marshall, Anne (December 7, 2011). "Learning the ropes". Louisville Eccentric Observer. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "Santino Marella". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-04-14. "Anthony Carelli was the student that Jim Cornette slapped"
- "TNA News: Jim Cornette says TNA needs a developmental program, criticizes WWE's developmental program". PWTorch.com. 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "WWE to cease affiliation with Ohio Valley Wrestling". World Wrestling Entertainment. February 7, 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-07.
- Caldwell, James (2010-09-09). "ROH/OVW News: Jim Cornette announced as new OVW matchmaker; "working relationship" announced between ROH & OVW". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Caldwell, James (2011-11-07). "TNA News: TNA announces official training program with WWE's former developmental territory". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Big Update on Impact Road Tapings, More on TNA/OVW Relationship". Wrestlezone.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Streaming Television Episodes". Ohio Valley Wrestling. Retrieved September 30, 2011.