Ohio Valley Wrestling
|Founder(s)||Nightmare Danny Davis|
|Formerly||NWA Ohio Valley Championship Wrestling|
Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) is an American independent professional wrestling promotion based in Louisville, Kentucky. OVW was initially a member promotion of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) from its inception in 1997 until 2000, when it became the primary developmental territory for the World Wrestling Federation (now WWE). OVW remained in this role from 2000 until 2008. The promotion was unaffiliated from February 7, 2008 until November 2011, and is currently run by Dean Hill, who took over from founder and former owner Nightmare Danny Davis.
In 2012, OVW became the farm territory for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) (now Impact Wrestling). However, the relationship ended on November 2, 2013. As of December 2011, over 100 OVW alumni have appeared in WWE.
OVW was founded by Nightmare Danny Davis in 1997 as an NWA member. However, OVW separated from NWA in 2000. After, the company became the farm territory of World Wrestling Federation/ Entertainment. Jim Cornette was head booker of OVW and majority investor, but he was fired by WWE for slapping a student, Anthony Carelli. He was replaced by Paul Heyman, who booked OVW until being called up to be the booker of the ECW brand. Greg Gagne was supposed to be booker after Heyman, but his knowledge of OVW was limited so the booking was extended to also include Al Snow and Danny Davis. Gagne was later released from the company, leaving booking to Snow and Davis.
In 2007, Cornette sold his share of the company back to Davis. On February 7, 2008, WWE announced that it had ended its relationship with OVW as a developmental territory, moving all contracted talent to Florida Championship Wrestling.
However, on September 23, 2009, OVW announced via a press release from WWE that Senior EVP John Laurinaitis visited and scouted OVW wrestlers and that WWE will take "a much more active role in recruiting OVW developed talent". OVW and WWE maintained a close relationship as throughout 2008 and 2009 WWE-contracted talent would make occasional appearances on OVW shows and OVW talent has remained a large part of WWE's recruiting classes with eight members of the roster being signed to the WWE since February 2008 and many more being used on WWE programming as extras or enhancement talent. On February 22 and 23, 2010 the WWE in conjunction with OVW held a two-day tryout camp for independent wrestlers. It was the first event of this nature held outside Florida Championship Wrestling since FCW became WWE's sole developmental territory.
On September 8, 2010, in what was dubbed the company's season premiere, Danny Davis, who himself was making his return for the first time in over a year, announced that Jim Cornette was returning to his role as head booker of the company. Cornette, who is also executive producer of Ring of Honor's HDNet show, stated that Ring of Honor (ROH) talent as well as talent from other companies were going to work in OVW along with the current crop of stars and returning OVW stars in an effort to return the company to its previous reputation as the best independent wrestling company to get recruited from. A similar claim was made by Cornette during the announcement of the ROH HDNet program moving its tapings to the OVW/Davis arena.
On November 7, 2011, it was announced that OVW and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) had reached an agreement for OVW to become TNA's official training and developmental territory. TNA's Director of Talent Relations Al Snow returned as booker of the company, replacing the outgoing Jim Cornette. The relationship lasted for two years, before ending on November 2, 2013 after TNA ordered all of their talent to report to Orlando.
|Created by||Nightmare Danny Davis|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||953 (as of December 3, 2017)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network|| WBNA-21
OVW currently airs a 60-minute television program on Saturdays in the Louisville area on WBNA-21 at 11:00AM and replay at 9:00PM, and on WOBZ-LD in London, Kentucky at 9:00PM. OVW also has streaming video via their website, where new episodes are streamed on Thursdays following the previous Wednesday's television taping. The television shows originate from the Davis Arena in the Buechel neighborhood of Louisville.
As of December 16, 2017
|Championship||Current champion(s)||Reign||Date won||Days
|OVW Heavyweight Championship||Michael Hayes||1||November 4, 2017||42+||Louisville, Kentucky||Defeated Tyler Matrix at an OVW Saturday Night Special|
|OVW Television Championship||Randall Floyd||2||October 25, 2017||52+||Louisville, Kentucky||Defeated Logan James on OVW TV|
|OVW Southern Tag Team Championship||The Bad Boys Club
(Randy Royal and Shane Andrews)
|3||November 22, 2017||24+||Louisville, Kentucky||Defeated The Top Guyz (Adam Slade and Kevin Giza) on OVW TV|
|OVW Women's Championship||Jaylee||1||September 2, 2017||105+||Louisville, Kentucky||Defeated Cali at an OVW Saturday Night Special for the vacated title|
|Championship||Final champion||Date won||Notes|
|OVW Light Heavyweight Championship||Chris Michaels||April 12, 2000||Defeated Sean Casey on OVW TV. Retired on March 1, 2001|
|OVW Hardcore Championship||Randy Orton||May 5, 2001||Defeated Flash Flanagan on OVW TV. Retired on May 12, 2001|
|Ring name||Real name||Notes|
|Adam Revolver||Jared Pridgin|
|Amon||Stuart Perry||Formerly Reverend Stuart Miles|
|Big Jon||Jonathan Montgomery|
|Dapper Dan||Daniel Anderson|
|David Lee Lorenze III||David Lo|
|Jamin Olivencia||Jamin Olivencia|
|Michael Hayes||Michael Hayes||OVW Heavyweight Champion|
|Randall Floyd||Unknown||OVW Television Champion|
|Randy Royal||Unknown||OVW Southern Tag Team Champion|
|Shane Andrews||Unknown||OVW Southern Tag Team Champion|
|Stephon Smith||Stephon Smith|
|The Blue Chipper||Unknown|
|Tony Gunn||Anthony Gunn|
|Tyler Matrix||Kalieb Gibson|
|Zo||Cowann D Owens|
|Ring name||Real name||Notes|
|Jaylee||Unknown||Valet of David Lee Lorenze III
OVW Women's Champion
|Jessie Belle||Jessie Belle McCoy||Valet of Boy Boyz Club|
|Maria James||Maria James|
|Gilbert Corsey||Play-by-play commentator
|Jim Cornette||Director of Operations|
|Josh Ashcraft||Manager of the 'Legacy of Brutality'|
|Ron Hed||Color commentator
Occasional ring announcer
|Shannon The Dude||Color commentator. World Heavyweight Radio Champion|
|Jamie Lynn||Female Referee|
|Joe Wheeler||Senior Referee|
|Dean Hill||Majority Owner of OVW|
|Matt Cappotelli||Beginner Class|
|Rip Rogers||Head Trainer/Advanced Class|
(+) No longer with WWE.
- Alicia Fox (Raw)
- Batista (+)
- Beth Phoenix (Retired) (+)
- The Boogeyman (Ambassador) (+)
- Brock Lesnar (Raw)
- CM Punk (Retired) (+)
- Curt Hawkins (Raw)
- Dolph Ziggler (SmackDown)
- Drew McIntyre (NXT)
- John Cena (Raw & SmackDown)
- Kelly Kelly (Ambassador) (+)
- Kofi Kingston (SmackDown)
- Maryse Ouellet (Raw)
- The Miz (Raw)
- Mickie James (Raw)
- Natalya (SmackDown)
- Randy Orton (SmackDown)
- René Duprée (+)
- Rosa Mendes (Retired) (+)
- Ruby Riott (SmackDown)
- Ryback (+)
- Santino Marella (Retired) (+)
- Tye Dillinger (SmackDown)
- Wade Barrett (+)
- Zack Ryder (SmackDown)
(×) No longer with Impact.
- Aron Rex (×)
- Bobby Lashley
- Cody Rhodes (×)
- Crimson (×)
- D'Angelo Dinero/Elijah Burke (×)
- Jessie Godderz (×)
- Johnny Impact
- Lei'D Tapa (×)
- ODB (×)
- Rebel (×)
- Rob Terry (×)
- Rockstar Spud (x)
- Sojourner Bolt (×)
- Taeler Hendrix (×)
- Sports in Louisville, Kentucky
- List of National Wrestling Alliance territories
- List of independent wrestling promotions in the United States
- "About OVW | Ohio Valley Wrestling". Ovwrestling.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "WWE to cease affiliation with Ohio Valley Wrestling". World Wrestling Entertainment. February 7, 2008. Archived from the original on February 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-07.
- "TNA Impact Wrestling and OVW Sign Developmental Deal | Ohio Valley Wrestling". Ovwrestling.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "FRI. UPDATE: More TNA cost saving moves, Carters send e-mail to talent denying sale, Video game promotion, real story behind birth of one of greatest world title reigns, Legednary mafch, Classics on Demand, Weekend preview". F4wonline.com. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "TNA-OVW RELATIONSHIP ENDING, IMPACT ON THE ROAD IN 2014 AND MORE TNA NEWS". PWInsider.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- Marshall, Anne (December 7, 2011). "Learning the ropes". Louisville Eccentric Observer. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "Santino Marella". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-04-14. "Anthony Carelli was the student that Jim Cornette slapped"
- "TNA News: Jim Cornette says TNA needs a developmental program, criticizes WWE's developmental program". PWTorch.com. 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- Caldwell, James (2010-09-09). "ROH/OVW News: Jim Cornette announced as new OVW matchmaker; "working relationship" announced between ROH & OVW". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Caldwell, James (2011-11-07). "TNA News: TNA announces official training program with WWE's former developmental territory". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Big Update on Impact Road Tapings, More on TNA/OVW Relationship". Wrestlezone.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Streaming Television Episodes". Ohio Valley Wrestling. Retrieved September 30, 2011.