Cover art of Oil's Well
|Programmer(s)||Thomas J. Mitchell|
Ivan Strand (Apple)
|Platform(s)||Apple II, Atari 8-bit, C64, ColecoVision, PC booter, MS-DOS, MSX, Sharp X1|
|Release||1983: Apple, Atari, C64|
1984: ColecoVision, PC
1985: MSX, Sharp
Oil's Well is a computer game published by Sierra On-Line in 1983. The game was written for the Atari 8-bit family by Thomas J. Mitchell. Oil's Well is similar to the 1982 arcade game Anteater, re-themed to be about drilling for oil instead of a hungry insectivore. Ports were released in 1983 for the Apple II and Commodore 64, in 1984 for ColecoVision and as a PC booter, then in 1985 for MSX and the Sharp X1. A version with improved visuals and without Mitchell's involvement was released for MS-DOS in 1990.
The player attempts to manage an oil drilling operation and collect oil. This is done by moving the drill head through a maze using four directional control buttons; the head is trailed by a pipeline connecting it to the base. Subterranean creatures populate the maze; the head can destroy the creatures, but the pipeline is vulnerable. As the player traverses the maze, the pipe grows longer, but pressing a button quickly retracts the head. The player can advance through eight different levels.
Ahoy! stated that while the Commodore version's graphics and sounds were only "serviceable; gameplay is, in my experience, unique ... Recommended". InfoWorld called the IBM PCjr version "a clever, basic game".
The early 1980s U.S. gaming magazine Computer Games awarded Oil's Well the 1984 Golden Floppy Award for Excellence, in the category of "Maze Game of the Year."
- Hague, James. "The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers".
- Davies, Lloyd (April 1984). "Oil's Well". Ahoy!. pp. 57–58. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Mace, Scott (1984-08-13). "PCjr: Back to Basics". InfoWorld. p. 38. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Computer Games Magazine 1984 Golden Floppy Award for Excellence". Computer Games Magazine: 18. July–August 1984.
- Pipeline Run at Lemon 64
- "Oil's Well". Atari Mania.
- Oil's Well at Atari Mania
- Oil's Well at Lemon 64
- Video from the C64 Version at archive.org
- The Colecovision version of Oil's Well can be played for free in the browser at the Internet Archive
- The MS-DOS (1990) version of Oil's Well can be played for free in the browser at the Internet Archive
|This Sierra Entertainment-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This action game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This maze video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|