Oil on Canvas
||This article should be divided into sections by topic, to make it more accessible. (July 2015)|
|Oil On Canvas|
|Live album by Japan|
Oil on Canvas is a live album by the British band Japan, released in 1983 by Virgin Records. Although it is a live recording of their established material, the album also contains three new instrumental studio tracks ("Oil on Canvas", "Voices Raised in Welcome, Hands Held in Prayer" and "Temple of Dawn"), recorded separately by Sylvian, Sylvian/Jansen and Barbieri respectively. (The name of Barbieri's track is taken from the novel The Temple of Dawn by the acclaimed Japanese novelist Yukio Mishima.)
Although the album was released some months following the band's much publicised split in late 1982, it was ironically Japan's highest charting album in the UK (where it reached #5). The album was certified "Gold" by the BPI in 1988 for 100,000 copies sold.
The live tracks on the double-album were taken from Japan's performances in November 1982, during their final live concert tour. Since guitarist Rob Dean had left the band two years previously, Japanese session musician Masami Tsuchiya was added to the line-up on guitar and additional keyboards. The band also used backing tracks to supply additional instrumental parts (for example, in contrast to some previous tours where a guest saxophonist was recruited, many of Karn's saxophone lines were played from tape).
A video version of Oil On Canvas was also available from Virgin Records. This was re-released on DVD in 2006 as "The Very Best of Japan", which also features many of the band's promotional videos.
Seven years after the release of Oil on Canvas the four members of Japan, David Sylvian, Steve Jansen, Mick Karn and Richard Barbieri, reunited for another studio album - but then under the group moniker Rain Tree Crow.
All tracks written by David Sylvian unless otherwise noted
- "Oil on Canvas" (instrumental studio recording) – 1:25
- "Sons of Pioneers" (Karn/Sylvian) – 4:59
- "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" – 6:41
- "Swing" – 5:36
- "Cantonese Boy" – 3:45
- "Visions of China" (Jansen/Sylvian) – 3:34
- "Ghosts" – 6:23
- "Voices Raised in Welcome, Hands Held in Prayer" (instrumental studio recording) (Jansen/Sylvian) – 3:30
- "Nightporter" – 6:47
- "Still Life in Mobile Homes" – 5:37
- "Methods of Dance" – 6:07
- "Quiet Life" – 4:34
- "The Art of Parties" – 5:28
- "Canton" (Jansen/Sylvian) – 5:43
- "Temple of Dawn" (instrumental studio recording) (Barbieri) – 1:45
Note: some early CD pressings of the Oil on Canvas album omit the tracks "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" and "Swing".
- "Canton" (live)/"Visions of China" (live) (UK #42)
- David Sylvian: lead vocals, occasional keyboards, cover concept
- Mick Karn: fretless bass guitar, backing vocals, clarinet, saxophone
- Steve Jansen: drums, marimba
- Richard Barbieri: keyboards/synthesizers
- Additional personnel
- Frank Auerbach - cover painting
- Anton Corbijn - Photography
- Ivette Anna - Photography (Handtinting)
- Engineered by Nigel Walker, John Punter