Oilers Entertainment Group
|Rexall Sports Corporation (2008–2014)|
|Industry||Sports & Entertainment|
2008 (as Rexall Sports Corporation)|
2014 (reorganized as Oilers Entertainment Group)
|Headquarters||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
Daryl Katz (Chairman)|
Bob Nicholson (CEO/V.C.)
Wayne Gretzky (Partner/V.C.)
Kevin Lowe (Vice-Chairman)
Peter Chiarelli (P. of H.O./GM)
Edmonton Oilers (NHL)|
Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
Bakersfield Condors (AHL)
Oil Country Championship (PGA Tour Canada)
|Parent||Katz Group of Companies|
Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) is a company based out of Edmonton, Alberta, that operates Katz Group of Companies' sports and entertainment offerings[clarification needed]. The flagship property and namesake is the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League. OEG also operates Rogers Place, the new home of the Oilers in downtown Edmonton. OEG is owned by Daryl Katz.
The company was reorganized as Oilers Entertainment Group in 2014, with former Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson as vice chairman. In 2015, he became chief executive officer and operating head of Katz' entertainment interests, including the Oilers.
Originally beginning with just the Oilers, OEG has grown to include a significant portfolio of sports and entertainment offerings. OEG now owns and operates the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League and the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League. From January 2014 to September 2016, OEG owned the Bakersfield Condors/Norfolk Admirals franchise in the ECHL. OEG also owns Aquila Productions, which produces film & television, live events and broadcasts, and corporate and branded messaging services.
In April 2015, Katz announced a partnership with film producer Joel Silver to create Silver Pictures Entertainment – a new company that will develop, produce and provide or arrange financing for feature films, television and digital projects. Katz’ interests in the company fall under the OEG umbrella.
OEG also operates Rogers Place, a multi-use indoor arena that is home to the Edmonton Oilers and the Edmonton Oil Kings. In addition to sporting events, the arena plays host to concerts and other events in the Ice District, a mixed-use sports and entertainment development, featuring a winter garden - a key part of the architectural design used as a large multi-use indoor public space - and an adjoining community rink which is open to the public.
- Oilers, Edmonton. "Oilers Entertainment Group Announces New Organizational Structure". oilers.nhl.com. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Sun, Edmonton. "Oilers announce Bob Nicholson is the team's chief executive officer". Edmonton Sun. Edmonton Sun. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Oilers, Edmonton. "Peter Chiarelli named President of Hockey Operations and General Manager". Edmonton Oilers. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Admirals Purchased by Mango Media Group". OurSports Central. September 29, 2016.
- McClintock, Pamela. "Producer Joel Silver is partnering with Canadian billionaire Daryl Katz". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Edmonton Arena District Now Officially Known as Ice District in Next Step to Becoming Canada's Largest Mixed-Use Sports and Entertainment Development". www.marketwired.com. marketwired.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "About ICE District". ICE District Properties. Retrieved January 31, 2017.