Korea Sale Festa Opening Ceremony 2016, Seoul
|Born||December 27, 1988|
|Education||Dankook University (BS)|
Korea University Graduate School of International Studies (MS)
|Also known as||TY|
|Revised Romanization||Ok Taek-yeon|
Ok Taec-yeon (Hangul: 옥택연; Hanja: 玉澤演; born December 27, 1988), known mononymously as Taecyeon, is a Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, and entrepreneur. He is the main rapper of the South Korean boy group 2PM.
In 2010, Taecyeon debuted as an actor in the Korean drama Cinderella's Sister and since then has starred in Dream High (2011), Who Are You? (2013), Wonderful Days (2014), Assembly (2015), Let's Fight, Ghost (2016), and Save Me (2017), as well as the movies Marriage Blue (2013) and House of the Disappeared (2017).
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting and hosting career
- 4 Military enlistment
- 5 Other activities
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Discography
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Early life and education
Taecyeon was born in Seoul, South Korea, but immigrated at the age of 10, with his parents and older sister Jihyen to Bedford, Massachusetts, a small town situated in the Greater Boston Area. It was his sister Jihyen who persuaded him to participate in a JYP Entertainment audition, whose promotion she had noticed when surfing on the Internet. After his reluctant agreement to participate, both headed for New York City on his 17th birthday. A week later he was chosen for the final 35 and got the call to go to South Korea to go further in the competition. At first Taecyeon applied to become a model, but the judges suggested he try dancing and singing. Eventually he was named one of the dozen finalists (including his future bandmates Lee Junho and Hwang Chansung) to compete in the show Superstar Survival, but was the first contestant to leave the show.
Taecyeon lived in Massachusetts for seven years, attending Bedford High School where he was a member of the Chess Club, Jazz Band, JV Soccer Team and National Honor Society, before returning to pursue his career in Korea. Taecyeon transferred to Young Dong High School in Seoul and then studied Business Administration at Dankook University and attended Korea University Graduate School of International Studies.
Debut with 2PM
In 2008 he took part in Mnet's Hot Blood Men which follows the extreme training of 13 trainees in order to become a member of the boy band One Day. One Day spawned two boy bands, 2AM and 2PM, the latter of which Taecyeon became a member of. Six months after Hot Blood was aired on TV 2PM debuted with their first single "10 Points out of 10 Points" from their first EP Hottest Time of the Day, but it wasn't until their second EP 2:00PM Time For Change that their success in the Korean music industry skyrocketed.
Taecyeon was featured in Baek Ji-young's 2009 hit song "My Ear's Candy". Baek revealed that she asked Taecyeon to feature on the song after having listened to his rap on 2PM's single "10 Points out of 10 Points".
In 2012, Taecyeon teamed up with his fellow Dankook University alumni students to produce a digital album titled Blue Bears with Taecyeon. The album was performed live at Dankook University for the matriculation ceremony. The title song “Wings” featured penned rap lyrics written by Taecyeon. The second song, a remake of Lee Gwangjo's “A Night Like Tonight" was also included in the performance, with an original rap written by Taecyeon himself. The album went on sale in February 2012, with all proceeds donated back the University.
Taecyeon released his first solo Japanese album Taecyeon Special: Winter Hitori in 2017. As part of the solo project, he successfully held his first solo concert, 'Taecyeon (From 2PM) Premium Concert' at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in Japan on January 2 and 3.
In July 2018, it was announced that Taecyeon had signed an exclusive contract with 51K, an agency founded by actor So Ji-sub, following the end of his contract with JYP Entertainment. His former agency reported that he will remain as a member of 2PM despite the move.
Acting and hosting career
In 2010 he made his acting debut in KBS drama series Cinderella's Sister alongside Moon Geun-young and Chun Jung-myung. He then starred in high school drama Dream High, which received high domestic ratings as well as international popularity.
In September 2011, FujiTV announced that Taecyeon was going to become a regular on their Sunday drama Boku to Star no 99 Nichi, along with Japanese actor Nishijima Hidetoshi and South Korean actress Kim Tae-hee. This is his first regular role on a Japanese drama.
In February 2013, it was announced that Taecyeon would form an on-screen couple with Taiwanese actress Emma Wu, in the Global Edition of the reality show We Got Married. The same year, he made his film debut in romantic comedy Marriage Blue. He composed two songs for the soundtrack of the film.
In 2014, he starred in KBS' weekend drama Wonderful Days, playing a tough-fisted bodyguard. The same year, he joined tvN's cooking variety show Three Meals a Day directed by Na PD. He later rejoined for a second season in 2015. Taecyeon was praised for his hardworking image and easygoing personality on the show.
In 2015, Taecyeon was cast in KBS' political drama Assembly. He plays an aspiring police officer who studies at the library to pass his entrance exams by day and works as an official’s chauffeur by night.
On December 9, 2010 a JYP Entertainment representative revealed that “Taecyeon would like to give up his American permanent residence visa and recently, on December 1, he received his official confirmation for his permanent residence cancellation.”
Taecyeon had a physical examination for drafting but received a physical body status sufficient only for enlistment as public service personnel, due to his poor vision and a dislocated shoulder back in 2008. In 2012 and 2013 he underwent surgery to correct the disk as well as to remove pins in his upper arm from a serious break in 2013. He was cleared for active duty in December 2013 but delayed his enlistment due to busy workload.
On September 4, 2017, Taecyeon enlisted as an active duty soldier and began his mandatory military service. On October 18, he completed his basic military training and was placed at 9th Infantry Division in Gyeonggi Province as a military instruction assistant.
In February 2018, Taecyeon participated in various 2018 Winter Olympics events as one of the volunteers under the command of the Ministry of National Defense (South Korea). He hosted many cultural shows and concerts, and performed as a member of 2PM at the Olympic Headliner Show.
On June 20, 2018, the South Korean Prime Minister Lee Nak-yeon recognized and praised Taecyeon's efforts to enlist in active duty during his congratulatory speech at the 15th Exemplary Military Servicemen Awards, where Taecyeon was hosting.
On October 1, 2018, Taecyeon led the future combat system demonstration in the 70th Armed Forces Day Celebration. The demonstration introduced the Warrior Platform program, which includes new and improved combat gear and equipment. One of the event officials stated, “Corporal Ok Taecyeon gave up his American residency; he set a great example, as he received surgery for the discs in his back and accepted active duty despite the fact that he had previously approved for alternative service. He’s currently faithfully continuing his military duties. We actively recommended him to participate in the Armed Forces Day event as we believed it would be meaningful for him.”
Due to his superb records, exemplary character, and great performance, Ok was appointed as a 'Special Class Warrior' by his division commander, and was awarded as 'Model Soldier' by the Ministry of National Defense. He also earned the nickname "Captain Korea" from people online, because of his physique that mirrored the famous Marvel superhero, Captain America. The nickname has been used as headlines to describe the actor on many news portals and broadcasts. In one interview, Ok expressed the pressure of having the nickname, "It was a nickname that brought a lot of pressure but it also made me want to work that much harder. I’ll continue to work hard to fit that nickname." 
Taecyeon finished his military service on May 16, 2019 and is set to return to the entertainment industry immediately. 
In 2013, Taecyeon hosted a 30-minute press conference on ustream to introduce "Okcat", a green-colored cat character to the public. Previously, Okcat emoticons have been released on the chat application KakaoTalk. During the conference, Taecyeon told the history of his development of the character, and released his sketches to the public. The "Okcat" shop was opened on the same day, and featured a line of products with the image of the Okcat.
|2017||House of the Disappeared||Priest Choi|
|2010||Cinderella's Sister||KBS2||Han Jung-woo||Supporting Role|
|2011||Dream High||KBS2||Jin Gook / Hyun Shi-hyuk||Lead Role|
|Boku to Star no 99 Nichi||Fuji TV||Tae-sung||Supporting Role|
|2013||Who Are You?||tvN||Cha Gun-woo||Lead Role|
|2014||Wonderful Days||KBS2||Kang Dong-hee||Lead Role|
|2015||Assembly||KBS2||Kim Kyu-hwan||Lead Role|
|2016||Let's Fight, Ghost||tvN||Park Bong-pal||Lead Role|
|2017||Save Me||OCN||Han Sang-hwan||Lead Role|
|2016||Home Sweet Home||KBS2||Taecyeon||Cameo|
|2017||You Are Closer Than I Think||KBS2||Kang Sung-min's friend||Cameo|
|2016||Touching You||Naver TV Cast||Do Jin-woo|
|7 First Kisses||Naver TV Cast||Ok Taec-yeon||Ep. 5-6|
|2009||Inkigayo||SBS||July 26 – January 24:|
|2010||February 7 – July 11:|
|Family Outing 2||SBS||Main cast|
|2013||Human Condition||KBS2||Segment: Living Without Stress|
|We Got Married (Global Edition)||MBC||with Emma Wu|
|2014||Three Meals a Day||tvN||Main cast|
|2015||Three Meals a Day Season 2||tvN|
|2016||Mommy||SBS||MC with Lee Hwi-jae|
|2017||Suddenly a Millionaire||O'live TV||Episodes 1-7|
|2009||"My Ear's Candy"||Baek Ji-young ft. Taecyeon||EGO|
|2009||"Yes I'm In Love"||Bada ft. Taecyeon||See the Sea|
|2012||"Classic"||Park Jin-young, Miss A's Suzy, 2PM's Wooyoung and Taecyeon||Digital Single (Reebok Classic CF)|
|"Madness"||Miss A ft. Taecyeon||Independent Women Part III|
|2013||"Hello (Japanese Ver.)"||Cho Yong-pil ft. Taecyeon||Hello|
|2017||"Just Feeling"||Kim Tae-woo ft. Jun. K & Taecyeon of 2PM||T-WITH|
|2011||"Dream High" (with Wooyoung, Kim Soo-hyun and Suzy)||Dream High OST|
|"My Valentine" (with J.Y. Park & Nichkhun)|
|2013||"My Way to You" (with Junho)||7th Grade Civil Servant OST|
|"Marriage Blue Opening (결혼전야 Opening)"||Marriage Blue OST|
Awards and nominations
|2010||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Cinderella's Sister||Nominated|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Sixpack||N/A||Nominated|
|3rd Bugs Music Awards||OST of the Year with Nichkhun & Park Jin-young||"My Valentine"||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple with Suzy||Dream High||Nominated|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||Marriage Blue||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Wonderful Days||Nominated|
|3rd APAN Star Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Nominated|
|2016||KWEB FEST||Best Actor||Touching You||Nominated|
|tvN10 Awards||Best Chemistry (with Ming-ki)||Three Meals a Day||Nominated|
|2017||2017 Korean Film Shining Star Awards||Popularity Award||House of the Disappeared||Won|
- ":: 2PM ::". 2pm.jype.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연, '옥캣' 캐릭터 사업 스타트 CEO변신 : 스포츠조선". Sports Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "[공식입장 전문]옥택연, 51K와 전속 계약 체결 "배우+2PM 활동 전폭지원"". Sports Chosun (in Korean). July 25, 2018.
- Cover story: 2PM. Archived 5 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine iamkoream.com. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- BHS junior competes in Korean 'Survivor' – Bedford, MA – Bedford Minuteman Archived 2012-01-29 at the Wayback Machine. Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- February 26, 2013 (26 February 2013). "Taecyeon Is Accepted into Prestigious Korea University as Grad Student". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- (Video) 2PM′s Taecyeon Understands...Arabic?? enewsWorld. 29 May 2012.
- "Agency mates Taecyeon and Park Joo Hyung head to Busan to practice their dialect for 'Very Good Days'". allkpop. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2018-12-28.
- "'올드스쿨' 백지영 "'내귀에 캔디' 옥택연에 사심? 띠동갑" 버럭". Osen (in Korean). 15 August 2016.
- "나눔 (Share) [with 택연] - Single by Blue Bears (블루베어스) & Taecyeon on iTunes". iTunes. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연, 단국대 동문들과 디지털앨범 발표 : 네이트 뉴스". Sports Chosun (in Korean). Nate. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "2PM玉澤演挑戰日文SOLO 明年開個人演唱會". NOW News (in Chinese). 22 November 2016.
- "2PM′s Taecyeon Successfully Completes First Japan Solo Concert". enewsWorld. 6 January 2017.
- "Taecyeon Signs With New Agency, JYP Reassures 2PM Will Continue Promoting As 6 | Soompi". www.soompi.com. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "SBS Reveals New Family Line-up". The Korea Times. 10 January 2010.
- Lim, Hye-seon (26 January 2010). "2PM Taecyeon mulling TV acting debut". 10Asia.
- Park, So-yoen (23 February 2010). "2PM Taecyeon starts shooting for new drama". 10Asia.
- "2PM Taecyeon cast in new KBS musical drama". 10Asia. 2 November 2010.
- 29, shyangz September; 2011 (29 September 2011). "Taecyeon to Have J-Drama Acting Debut in "My 99 Days with a Star" Alongside Kim Tae Hee". Soompi.
- "MBC's 'We Got Married' goes global". Korea JoongAng Daily. 26 February 2013.
- "Ok Taec-yeon to appear in 'The Nights Before Wedding'". Korea JoongAng Daily. 9 April 2013.
- 21, G. Jeong November; 2013 (21 November 2013). "2PM's Taecyeon Turns Composer for "Marriage Blue" OST, Movie Premieres Today". Soompi.
- "Ok Taec-yeon to play troubled bodyguard". The Korea Herald. 18 February 2014.
- "Na PD Takes 2PM′s Taecyeon and Lee Seo Jin on a New Cooking Variety Show". enewsWorld.
- "'Three Meals a Day' kicks off new season". The Korea Times. 15 May 2015.
- "'삼시세끼' 옥택연, 도시락 반찬 다섯가지 완성 '빙구파워'". Xports News (in Korean). 28 June 2015.
- "2PM's Taecyeon cast in political drama 'Assembly'". Kpop Herald.
- "Taecyeon to fight ghosts in new tvN drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. 5 May 2016.
- "Lotte Duty Free to release a web drama". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Kim Yun-jin, Ok Taec-yeon to star in mystery thriller". The Korea Herald. 16 February 2017.
- "2PM's Ok Taecyeon stars in OCN thriller 'Save Me'". Yonhap News Agency. 27 July 2017.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (9 December 2012). "2PM 택연 美영주권 포기, 입대준비" [2PM's Taecyeon prepares to join the military by giving up his American Green Card]. Starnews Korea (in Korean). Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- "Ok Taec-yeon Cleared for Active Duty on Second Attempt". The Chosun Ilbo. 13 December 2013.
- Bae Seung-hoon (5 September 2017). "2PM's Ok Taec-yeon laces up his boots". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "LEAD) 2PM's Ok Taecyeon begins military duty". Yonhap News Agency. 4 September 2017.
- "[공식입장] JYP 측 "택연 백마무대 신교대 조교됐다"". Xports News (in Korean). 1 November 2017.
- "'또 하나의 신화' 향한 하나 된 大韓 열정…평창, 벌써 설렌다".
- "임시완 ·옥택연 "평창올림픽 출동, 命 받았습니다"" (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "제15회 병역명문가 시상식 축사". June 20, 2018. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- ""뜻깊은 자리 영광입니다" 옥택연 '국군의날' 기념행사 등장" (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "옥택연·임시완, 국군의날 행사서 늠름한 모습… "큰 영광" - 미주 한국일보". www.koreatimes.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Go Myung-jin (March 4, 2019). "[단독]김수현·옥택연, 병장 조기진급…성실한 군생활 덕분". Pop Herald. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- 박보람 (2019-05-16). "2PM's Ok Taecyeon set for return to show biz after finishing military service". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "옥택연, 모범병사 선정됐다…5월 전역". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "'특급 전사' 전역을 명 받았습니다". news.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "'섹션TV' 옥택연 "'캡틴 코리아' 별명 부담…더 잘해야겠다고 느껴" - 열린세상 열린방송 MBN". star.mbn.co.kr. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- 박보람 (2019-05-16). "2PM's Ok Taecyeon set for return to show biz after finishing military service". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "Say hello to Taecyeon's Cat". Korea JoongAng Daily. 14 October 2013.
- "2PM 택연, 옥캣으로 캐릭터 사업 시작" (in Korean). Nate. 13 October 2013.
- "Lee Hwi-jae, Taecyeon to host new TV show". Korea JoongAng Daily. 13 April 2016.
- "Taecyeon to help Cho in Japan". Korea JoongAng Daily. 5 September 2013.
- "김윤진·장혁부터 도경수까지...한국영화를 빛낸 ★들 [종합]". Osen (in Korean). 4 July 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ok Taec-yeon.|