2PM Go Crazy World Tour 2014, Rosemont Theatre, Chicago (Rosemont), Illinois, U.S.A
|Birth name||Ok Taek-yeon|
|Born||December 27, 1988|
|Revised Romanization||Ok Taek-yeon|
Ok Taec-yeon (Hangul: 옥택연; Hanja: 玉澤演; born December 27, 1988), best known as Taecyeon, is a South Korean singer, songwriter, actor, and entrepreneur. He is the main rapper of the South Korean boy group 2PM. In 2010, Taecyeon debuted as an actor in the Korean drama Cinderella's Sister and since then has starred in Dream High (2011) and Hey Ghost, Let's Fight (2016).
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting and hosting career
- 4 Other activities
- 5 Military enlistment
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Discography
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Taecyeon was born in Busan, South Korea, but immigrated at the age of 10, with his parents and older sister Jihyen to Bedford, Massachusetts, a small town situated in the Greater Boston Area. Taecyeon lived there for seven years, attending Bedford High School where he was an active member of the Chess Club, Jazz Band, JV Soccer Team and National Honor Society, before returning to pursue his career in Korea. Taecyeon transferred to Young Dong High School in Seoul and then studied Business Administration at Dankook University and currently attending Korea University Graduate School of International Studies. He is fluent in English, Korean and Japanese. Being from Busan, Taecyeon is also familiar with the use of the Busan satoori (dialect), which he used in the KBS2 drama Wonderful Days.
It was his sister Jihyen who persuaded him to participate in a JYP Entertainment audition, whose promotion she had noticed when surfing on the Internet. After his reluctant agreement to participate, both headed for New York City on his 17th birthday. A week later he was chosen for the final 35 and got the call to go to Korea to go further in the competition. At first Taecyeon applied to become a model, but the judges suggested he try dancing and singing. Eventually he was named one of the dozen finalists (including his future bandmates Lee Junho and Hwang Chansung) to compete in the show Superstar Survival, but was the first contestant to leave the show.
Debut with 2PM
In 2008 he took part in Mnet's Hot Blood Men which follows the extreme training of 13 trainees in order to become a member of the boy band One Day. One Day spawned two boy bands, 2AM and 2PM, the latter of which Taecyeon became a member of. Six months after Hot Blood was aired on TV 2PM debuted with their first single "10 Points out of 10 Points" ("10점 만점에 10점") from their first EP Hottest Time of the Day, but it wasn't until their second EP 2:00PM Time For Change that their success in the Korean music industry skyrocketed. So far 2PM has released five Korean studio albums, four Japanese studio albums, and one EP.
In 2012, Taecyeon teamed up with his fellow Dankook University alumni students to produce a digital album, Blue Bears with Taecyeon. The album was performed live on 2012/02/24 at Dankook University for the matriculation ceremony. The title song “Wings (날개)” was written and composed by Life Music and the Dankook University students, and featured personally penned rap lyrics written by Taecyeon. The second song, a remake of Lee Gwangjo's “A Night Like Tonight (오늘같은 밤)” was also included in the performance, complete with an original rap also written by Taecyeon himself. The album went on sale 2012/02/29, with all proceeds donated back the University.
On 2012/05/25 Taecyeon performed "Kiss" and "After you've left me" for his solo stage. Both songs were written and composed by Taecyeon himself.
On 2012/06/18 Taecyeon, composing as TY, uploaded a message on 2PM's Official Fan Cafe  with his newest self-composed song: 자장가 for Hottest. Taecyeon included the .mp3 as a free download for Hottest, asking them to like the song.
Taecyeon released his 1st solo album on 18th Jan 2017. As part of the solo project, he successfully held his first solo concert, 'Taecyeon (From 2PM) Premium Concert' at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in Japan on January 2 and the 3rd, attracting many fans.
Acting and hosting career
In 2010 he made his acting debut in Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) drama series Cinderella's Sister alongside Moon Geun-young and Chun Jung-myung. He then starred in high school drama Dream High, which received high domestic ratings as well as international popularity.
In September 2011, FujiTV announced that Taecyeon was going to become a regular on their Sunday drama Boku to Star no 99 Nichi, along with Japanese actor Nishijima Hidetoshi and South Korean actress Kim Tae-hee. This is his first regular role on a Japanese drama.
In February 2013, it was announced that Taecyeon would form an on-screen couple with Taiwanese actress Emma Wu, in the Global Edition of the reality show We Got Married. The show premiered in April 2013 and the couple quickly gained popularity in China, Taiwan, Korea and Southeast Asia. The same year, he made his film debut in romantic comedy Marriage Blue. He composed two songs for the soundtrack of the film.
In 2014, he starred in KBS' weekend drama Wonderful Days, playing a tough-fisted bodyguard. The same year, he joined tvN's cooking variety show Three Meals a Day directed by Na PD. He later rejoined for a second season in 2015. Taecyeon was praised for his hardworking image and easygoing personality on the show.
In 2015, Taecyeon was cast in KBS' political drama Assembly. He plays an aspiring police officer who studies at the library to pass his entrance exams by day and works as an official’s chauffeur by night.
In 2017, he starred in mystery thriller House of the Disappeared with veteran actress Kim Yunjin. He then confirmed to star in OCN’s upcoming psycho-religious-thriller drama “Save Me” alongside Seo Ye-ji
Taecyeon is known to draw large headed, long bodied cats that he has incorporated into his signatures and autographs. He, and fans, refer to the drawings as Okcats (옥캣). As a result of seeing knock-off Okcat shirts being produced in countries like Thailand, Taecyeon relayed through his Twitter, that he desired to produce his own line of Okcats.
On 2013/11/10 Taecyeon hosted a 30-minute press conference on ustream to introduce his "Okcat" brand to the public. The presentation, titled "The Okcat Live", took place at the COEX building with approx 50+ reporters in attendance. The presentation consisted of video and illustrations of the evolution of his Okcat character over the years, to its present form. Taecyeon also revealed a jingle and merchandise that he is producing under the "Okcat" brand including: pillows, plush toys, USB drives and phone accessories. Taecyeon stated that the merchandise will be sold through various online merchants, and be announced through his Official venues on Twitter and Facebook.
On 2013/17/09 A representative from JYPE revealed that the release of the emoticons on Kakao Talk would be just the first wave Okcat items. Taecyeon plans to release more items in October, 2013.
It was reported that Taecyeon's Okcat business generated one million USD revenues in 10 months. He's going to expand his business even more by going from producing 32 to 70 kinds of products by the end 2014.
On December 9, 2010 a JYP Entertainment representative revealed that “Taecyeon would like to give up his American permanent residence visa and recently, on December 1st, he received his official confirmation for his permanent residence cancellation.”
Taecyeon had a physical examination for drafting but received a physical body status sufficient only for enlistment as public service personnel, due to his poor vision and a dislocated shoulder back in 2008. In 2012 and 2013 he underwent surgery to correct the disk as well as to remove pins in his upper arm from a serious break in 2013. He was cleared for active duty in December 2013 but delayed his enlistment due to busy workload.
In early 2016, JYP Entertainment announced that Taecyeon and fellow 2PM member Jun.K would be enlisting to begin their two-year mandatory military service in January 2017, but in the middle of September 2016 Taecyeon announced that he will join the army in early 2017.
|2017||House of the Disappeared||Priest Choi|
|2010||Cinderella's Sister||KBS2||Han Jung-woo|
|2011||Dream High||KBS2||Jin Gook / Hyun Shi-hyuk|
|Boku to Star no 99 Nichi||Fuji TV||Tae-sung|
|2013||Who Are You?||tvN||Cha Gun-woo|
|2014||Wonderful Days||KBS2||Kang Dong-hee|
|2016||Hey Ghost, Let's Fight||tvN||Park Bong-pal|
|Home Sweet Home||KBS2||Taecyeon||Cameo|
|2017||Save Me||OCN||Han Sang-Hwan|
|2016||Touching You||Naver TV Cast (South Korea)
Hollywood HDTV (Thailand)
|7 First Kisses||Naver TV Cast||Ok Taec-Yeon||Ep. 5-6|
|First aired||Last aired|
|2008||Hot Blood||Mnet||10||October 10, 2008||November 8, 2008|
|Idol Army (Season 3)||MBC||17||4 December 2008||26 March 2009|
|2009||Wild Bunny||Mnet||7||July 21, 2009||August 21, 2009|
|2011||2PM Show!||SBS||12||July 9, 2011||September 24, 2011|
|2013||A Song For You From 2PM||KBS2||15||February 17, 2013||May 24, 2013|
|We Got Married (Global Edition)||Mnet||1 - 20||April 7, 2013||July 14, 2013|
|2015||Oven Radio||1theK||5||June 14, 2015||June 18, 2015|
|2010||Family Outing 2||SBS||fixed cast|
|2014||Three Meals a Day||tvN||fixed cast with Lee Seo-jin|
|2015||Three Meals a Day Season 2||tvN||fixed cast with Lee Seo-jin and Kim Kwang-kyu|
|2016||Mommy||SBS||MC with Lee Hwi-jae|
On January 7, 2010 photographs surfaced of Taecyeon and Nichkhun with actress Yoon Eunhye for Cass Beer. 2PM were chosen to endorse the beer with a special, promotional single "Tik Tok". Taecyeon played one of the three main character in the 12-minute music video-drama, which was released on February 8, 2010.
In May 2010 Taecyeon featured in another music video-drama for Everland's Caribbean Bay water theme park along with 2PM's Nichkhun & Chansung and Girls' Generation members Yoona, Seohyun & Kwon Yuri.
Awards and nominations
|2010||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Cinderella's Sister||Nominated|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Sixpack||N/A||Nominated|
|3rd Bugs Music Awards||OST of the Year with Nichkhun & Park Jin-young||"My Valentine"||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple with Suzy||Dream High||Nominated|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||Marriage Blue||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Wonderful Days||Nominated|
|3rd APAN Star Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Nominated|
|2016||KWEB FEST||Best Actor||Touching You||Nominated|
|tvN10 Awards||Best Chemistry with Mingky||Three Meals a Day||Nominated|
|2017||Soompi Awards||Best Idol Actor||Hey Ghost, Let's Fight||Nominated|
- ":: 2PM ::". 2pm.jype.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연, '옥캣' 캐릭터 사업 스타트 CEO변신 : 스포츠조선". Sports.chosun.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Taecyeon Fell In Love With Night Before Wedding Role : KMovie". KDramaStars. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "happy together 2pm 7". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Cover story: 2PM. Archived 2011-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. iamkoream.com. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- February 26, 2013 (2013-02-26). "Taecyeon Is Accepted into Prestigious Korea University as Grad Student". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- (Video) 2PM′s Taecyeon Understands...Arabic?? enewsWorld. 2012-05-29.
- "Agency mates Taecyeon and Park Joo Hyung head to Busan to practice their dialect for 'Very Good Days'". Allkpop.com. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- BHS junior competes in Korean 'Survivor' – Bedford, MA – Bedford Minuteman. Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "나눔 (Share) [with 택연] - Single by Blue Bears (블루베어스) & Taecyeon on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- 2PM 택연, 단국대 동문들과 디지털앨범 발표 : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- [NEWS] 120221 2PM’s Taecyeon to release charity project album ‘Blue Bears’ with fellow Dankook University students. 2ONEDAY! (2012-02-22). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- [FANCAMS] 120223 Dankook University New Student Ceremony – Blue Bears 1st performance. 2ONEDAY! (2012-04-30). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Daum 카페. Cafe.daum.net. Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- 2PM’s Taecyeon offers “Lullaby For Hottest” as free download. Allkpop.com (2012-06-18). Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- Lim, Hye-seon (26 January 2010). "2PM Taecyeon mulling TV acting debut". 10 Asia. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Park, So-yoen (23 February 2010). "2PM Taecyeon starts shooting for new drama". 10 Asia. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "2PM Taecyeon cast in new KBS musical drama". 2 November 2010.
- 29, shyangz September; 2011 (29 September 2011). "Taecyeon to Have J-Drama Acting Debut in “My 99 Days with a Star” Alongside Kim Tae Hee".
- "'We Got Married: Global Edition' to start airing on April 7". Allkpop.com. 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Overseas Success of 'We Got Married: Global Edition' Overshadows Low Ratings : News". KpopStarz. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- 21, G. Jeong November; 2013 (21 November 2013). "2PM’s Taecyeon Turns Composer for “Marriage Blue” OST, Movie Premieres Today".
- Herald, The Korea (18 February 2014). "Ok Taec-yeon to play troubled bodyguard".
- "KPOP NEWS - Na PD Takes 2PM′s Taecyeon and Lee Seo Jin on a New Cooking Variety Show - Mwave".
- "'Three Meals a Day' kicks off new season". 15 May 2015.
- "'삼시세끼' 옥택연, 도시락 반찬 다섯가지 완성 '빙구파워'".
- "2PM's Taecyeon cast in political drama 'Assembly'".
- "New series ‘Let’s Fight Ghost’ starts in July".
- "Lotte Duty Free to release a web drama".
- Herald, The Korea (16 February 2017). "Kim Yun-jin, Ok Taec-yeon to star in mystery thriller".
- "옥택연·서예지, 사이비 종교 파격 소재 '구해줘' 캐스팅". news1 (in Korean). Retrieved May 19, 2017.
- "Watch 2PM Taecyeon's 'The Okcat Live'!". Allkpop.com. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "131011 THE OKCAT LIVE - 玉澤演(옥캣)". YouTube. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연이 개발한 캐릭터 '옥캣' 첫 선 :: 네이버 TV연예". News.naver.com (in Korean). 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 옥택연 캐릭터 '옥캣', 1년도 안돼 매출이 무려.. : 네이버 뉴스". News.naver.com (in Korean). 2014-07-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (2010-12-09). "2PM 택연 美영주권 포기, 입대준비" [2PM's Taecyeon prepares to join the military by giving up his American Green Card.] (in Korean). Money Today/Starnews Korea. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- en.korea.com. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Ok Taec-yeon Cleared for Active Duty on Second Attempt".
- 2PM 택연-닉쿤, 윤은혜 두고 삼각관계?. 조윤선 동아닷컴 기자.
- "소녀시대-2PM ‘캐비’ M/V서 섹시한 라이프가드로 변신 - 뉴스천지". Newscj.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ok Taecyeon.|