|First appearance||Black Panther #1 (November 1998)|
|Created by||Christopher Priest|
|Team affiliations||Dora Milaje|
Agents of Wakanda
Okoye is a fictional character, a member of the Dora Milaje in Marvel Comics. The character, created by Christopher Priest and Mark Texeira, first appeared in Black Panther #1 (November 1998) within the comics.
Fictional character biography
She joined alongside her friend Nakia to be among T'Challa's wives-in-training. However, when Okoye discovered that T'Challa had no interest in marrying either of them, she immediately came to accept this. She has since stood at T'Challa's side. Okoye accompanied T'Challa when he recruited Queen Divine Justice. She was also with T'Challa when they tested Kasper Cole on whether he was worthy of the Black Panther garb. Okoye herself tested Kasper if he would stay with his pregnant girlfriend or leave her for Okoye.
Okoye later appears as a member of the Agents of Wakanda.
Skills and abilities
Okoye is highly skilled in multiple forms of combat, being one of the key members of the Dora Milaje. She is exceptional in using various Wakandan weaponry and tools.
In other media
- Okoye has a non-voiced cameo in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She is a member of T'Challa's Dora Milaje.
- Okoye appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda, voiced by Yvette Nicole Brown.
- Danai Gurira portrays Okoye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Okoye appears in Black Panther where she is the general of the Dora Milaje. She has the utmost respect for T'Challa and the nation of Wakanda and is the lover of W'Kabi. She stands beside T'Challa for the majority of the film, but is forced to switch her allegiance to Erik Killmonger when he usurps the throne. After seeing that T'Challa is alive, and thus still legally King with the personal combat challenge incomplete, she leads the Dora to fight against Killmonger the moment he invalidates his own claim by refusing to continue the challenge. During W'Kabi's fight with M'Baku, Okoye eventually convinces W'Kabi to stand down causing those fighting alongside him to also stand down.
- Okoye returns in Avengers: Infinity War. She fights alongside the Avengers in Wakanda against Thanos' forces. She survives when Thanos eliminates half of all life in the universe, but watches in horror as T'Challa disintegrates.
- Okoye returns in Avengers: Endgame.
- Okoye appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. She appears in the "Black Panther" DLC.
- Okoye appears in Avengers Academy voiced by Bindy Cody.
- Erao, Matthew (March 28, 2018). "Black Panther's Okoye Jumps from Movie to Marvel Comics". ScreenRant. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #11. Marvel Comics.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #25. Marvel Comics.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #62. Marvel Comics.
- Avengers Vol. 8 #12. Marvel Comics.
- Strom, Marc (July 23, 2016). "SDCC 2016: Marvel's 'Black Panther' Confirms Additional Cast". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on July 24, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (14 June 2017). "'The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira Starring In 'Avengers: Infinity War'".
- Dornbush, Jonathon (13 February 2018). "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Black Panther DLC Revealed". IGN. Retrieved 21 April 2018.