|Observed by||Germany, United States and the world|
|Significance||Celebration of the German culture|
|Celebrations||Parades, food, music, folkloric dancing|
|Date||Third Saturday in September|
|2014 date||September 20|
|2015 date||September 19|
|2016 date||September 17|
|2017 date||September 16|
The Oktoberfest is a two-week festival held each year in Munich, Germany during late September and early October. It is attended by six million people each year and has inspired numerous similar events using the name Oktoberfest in Germany and around the world, many of which were founded by German immigrants or their descendants.
- 1 Around the world
- 2 Europe
- 3 See also
- 4 Notes
- 5 External links
Around the world
The largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany is mostly regarded as being in Canada, in the twin cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (750,000- 1,100,000 visitors), followed by Blumenau, Brazil with (700,000+), Cincinnati, Ohio, United States (500,000+ visitors) and the Denver Oktoberfest Denver, Colorado, United States (450,000+ visitors). However, the largest one mostly depend on specific year's numbers and varies with sources. Currently Oktoberfest is spreading to new geographical locations; starting in September 2007, Montreal began hosting its own Oktoberfest. Parker, Colorado hosts a traditional Oktoberfest each year. It's the most traditional Oktoberfest in Colorado.
The National Beer Festival (Fiesta Nacional de la Cerveza) is Argentina's version of the German Oktoberfest. It has taken place every October since 1963 in Villa General Belgrano, Córdoba. The party emerged by the hand of the first German immigrants. This festival attracts thousands of tourists for two consecutive weekends.
In Australia, the universities are notorious in their celebrations of Oktoberfest every year, and as students graduate and move on, this has rolled over into pubs and restaurants in the university areas. After the 2012 Oktoberfest Party the university council banned the celebration of the festival on university campus grounds.
Following the end of many of the university based events, private event company, Nokturnl Events, launched Oktoberfest in the Gardens in the Supreme Court Gardens, Perth on the 7th October 2011. The event has grown into the largest of its kind in Western Australia. In 2014 the event was also held in Melbourne, with Birrarung Marr Reserve in the heart of the CBD hosting a sell out crowd. Event organiser Nokturnl Events have announced that in 2015 the event will be coming to Sydney.
The Harmonie German Club, Canberra, holds an Oktoberfest over a three-day period every year in October. The festival is currently in its 45th year, and attracts a large number of visitors from Canberra and surrounding regions.
In Canada there is an annual nine-day celebration spread over 18 days in Kitchener, Ontario. It attracts over 1,000,000 visitors annually. While its most popular draws are the beer-based celebrations, other cultural and entertainment attractions also fill the week. The most well-known is the parade held on Thanksgiving Day. As the only major parade on Canadian Thanksgiving, it is televised nationally. Coincidentally, the closing day of the Bavarian Oktoberfest also falls on the German equivalent of Thanksgiving, Erntedankfest.
The twin cities and surrounding area have a long history of German roots. Kitchener was formerly named Berlin. A significant portion of the population of Kitchener and surrounding areas identify themselves as being of German heritage, and many still speak German. A common phrase at the celebrations is Gemütlichkeit, German for congeniality, or warm friendliness.
Oktoberfest celebrations are also held annually in Sherbrooke, Quebec at the beginning of October. The one night event is held by Sherbrooke's University Engineering Students' Association. It draws approximately 5,000 revellers each year.
- Qingdao has the largest Oktoberfest celebration in all of China with celebrations since 1991. Around 4 million have participated.
- Beijing, held at the Paulaner Brauhaus in the Kempinski Hotel.
- Shanghai, at the Paulaner Brauhaus
In Bangalore, India, Kingfisher beer established The Great Indian October Fest in 2005. Since 2012 In Chennai, India, Park Hyatt Chennai  and Hyatt Regency Chennai has been organizing an annual Oktoberfest festival during the second half of September every year offering extensive spread of traditional Bavarian cuisine and a selection of German Beer.
Oktoberfest beer and music festival celebrations held usually from September up to December. It is organized by San Miguel Brewery, which is the makers of San Miguel Beer and other alcoholic beverages. The 2015's edition of their Oktoberfest, was coincide with the 125th anniversary of San Miguel Beer Pale Pilsen.
Oktoberfest is celebrated annually in mid September at various German schools around the country most notably the Deutsche Schule Pretoria.
German-Americans are the largest self-reported ancestral group in the United States. Correspondingly[vague], there are hundreds of large and small Oktoberfest celebrations held annually throughout the country, the largest being Oktoberfest Zinzinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Known for its large German immigrant population, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and its historic Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsylvania Deutsch) population are well known to have many Oktoberfest celebrations during the months of September and October. These celebrations became increasingly popular among the general Commonwealth population in the later half of the 20th century with the rise of microbreweries, and with the opening of authentic German brew houses such as Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, PA.
Other major celebrations across the United States include those at:
- Old World Oktoberfest in Huntington Beach, CA
- Cullman, Alabama;
- Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, Arizona
- Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix, Arizona
- The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, California
- Big Bear City, California
- Campbell, California
- Oakland, California
- Sacramento, California
- San Francisco, California
- Alpine Village in Torrance, California
- San Diego, California
- Montrose, California
- Denver, Colorado
- The Colorado Council of Arts, Science and Culture hosts Parker Oktoberfest  in Parker, Colorado
- the Delaware Sängerbund in Newark, Delaware
- Wickham Park (Melbourne, Florida)
- Cape Coral, Florida (largest in Florida)
- Miami, Florida
- the Bavarian-themed town of Helen, Georgia
- Hofbrauhaus Chicago in Rosemont, Illinois, a German celebration, starting in 2013, expecting many beer lovers
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Jasper, Indiana
- Seymour, Indiana
- Amana, Iowa
- Hays, Kansas
- Danville, Kentucky
- Mandeville, Louisiana
- Frankenmuth, Michigan (The first Oktoberfest outside Munich that the Parliament and the City of Munich sanctioned);
- New Ulm, Minnesota (In 2002 the United States Census Bureau released a report showing 65.85% of population with German ancestry, the greatest proportion among cities in the United States of America).
- Hermann, Missouri
- Norfolk, Nebraska 
- Sidney, Nebraska
- Germania Park in Rockaway Township, New Jersey
- Irondequoit, New York
- Hickory, North Carolina
- the Ohio State Fair grounds and the Germania Singing and Sport Society in Columbus, Ohio
- Berea, Ohio
- Minster, Ohio
- Wilmington, Ohio
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Mt. Angel, Oregon;
- Sertoma Field in Walhalla, South Carolina
- East Allegheny (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
- Newport, Rhode Island
- Kingsport, Tennessee
- Addison, Texas
- Boerne, Texas
- Fredericksburg, Texas
- Galveston, Texas
- Muenster, Texas (their version is called "Germanfest" and is held in April)
- New Braunfels, Texas (called Wurstfest)
- Slaton, Texas ("Slaton Saint Joseph Sausage Festival," held on the third Sunday of October)
- Shiner, Texas
- at least 11 other Texas towns
- Snowbird, Utah, a resort in the mountains above Salt Lake City
- neighborhood of Lago Mar, Virginia Beach, Virginia;
- neighborhood of Fremont, Seattle, Washington
- Leavenworth, Washington
- Appleton, Wisconsin
- La Crosse, Wisconsin, called Oktoberfest – La Crosse, Wisconsin
- New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- many others
Oktoberfest celebrations are co-organized annually by the German Business Association in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. In 2012, Oktoberfest Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City celebrated its 20th year with a seven-day event.
In Venezuela, specifically in Colonia Tovar, it is held annually since 1970 . Sometimes music groups have been invited from Germany to interpret typical music. The Historic center of Colonia Tovar has a population of about 10,000 inhabitants and it is estimated that during the days of the event the town receives twice of visitors. It is considered as the 4th best Oktoberfest in the world (outside Germany) by some sources, even better positioned than the Blumenau Oktoberfest in Brazil.
Munich - The Original
The Oktoberfest Hannover is a fair which takes place every year at the end of September/beginning of October in Hanover, Germany. It usually lasts 17 days and features 140 rides and inns, two large beer tents seating more than a thousand people each, and numerous stands, beer gardens and five small beer tents offering food and refreshments. The program consists of a Dirndl-Competition, three Fireworks, two Family-Days, a hand lantern parade for kids and a backstage tour. You can get a special festival-beer from the local brewery "Brauerei Herrenhausen", the "Lüttje Lage" (an alcoholic speciality of Hannover) and many food from Lower Saxony and Bavaria. With around one million visitors each year, it is the second-largest Oktoberfest in Germany.
Oktoberfest in Berlin continues to grow, and 2014 will mark the 64th celebration of oktoberfest in Berlin. Several large areas including Alexanderplatz and zentral festplatz will be turned into Bavarian like beer and food tents. Live brass Bavarian bands will play at venues around town and people can be seen in traditional Bavarien dress around the city. Many places will also serve the official Oktoberfest beers that must be made in Munich. These events can last from mid September to early-mid October, and are the largest Oktoberfest events outside of Munich.
Note that traditional fairs in Bavaria, called Dult, Volksfest (popular festival) etc., are similar to the Oktoberfest in nature (not in size), but not called Oktoberfest as they did not arise in imitation of it. Of these, the Gäubodenvolksfest of Straubing enjoys particular fame.
- "Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest". Oktoberfest.ca. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Oktoberfest-Zinzinnati". Cincinnati.metromix.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Welcome to http://thedenveroktoberfest.com". http://thedenveroktoberfest.com. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- [dead link]
- Volunteer Committees - Kitchener - Waterloo Oktoberfest[dead link]
- "That's Qingdao".
- "Millions gather for Chinese Oktoberfest".
- "Oktoberfest in Beijing".
- "Oktoberfest in Shanghai".
- "Palestinian-style Oktoberfest goes down smooth By Adam Pines". The Raw Story. 2006-09-17. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Beer, music, stars, history in San Miguel Oktoberfest". Edge Davao. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- "Oktoberfest Moscow".
- "Phoenix Oktoberfest 2011 - Arizona Center for Germanic Cultures Inc". Phoenixoktoberfest.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Colorado Council of Arts, Science and Culture". Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "Parker Oktoberfest". Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- ":: Oktoberfest". Frankenmuthfestivals.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- ":: Norfolk Oktoberfest". norfolkareachamber.com/. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "Kingsport Oktoberfest". Kingsport Oktoberfest. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "German-Texans," Texas Almanac 1996-1997
- http://www.oktoberfestcoloniatovar.com/oktoberfest.php? Official page of Colonia Tovar Oktoberfest in Venezuela
- "Top 10 Oktoberfests". National Geographic. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Oktoberfest arrives to El Hatillo" (in Spanish). Caracas, Venezuela: Tu Zona Caracas. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Hernandez, Jorge (19 October 2014). "Cultural exchange in El Hatillo with the Oktoberfest" (in Spanish). Caracas, Venezuela: El Universal. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oktoberfest celebrations around the world.|
- Festival of Beer: Search for Beer Festivals around the World
- 2010 Oktoberfest: The Women & The Casualties - slideshows by Life magazine
- Sacramento Turn Verein: Turn Verein
- 8 Best Big-City Oktoberfests in the U.S. Biggest Oktoberfests Infographic. Retrieved October 21, 2014.