|Observed by||Germany, the Americas, Oceania and the world|
|Significance||Celebration of the German culture|
|Celebrations||Parades, food, music, folkloric dancing|
|Date||Third Saturday in September|
|2018 date||September 15|
|2019 date||September 21|
|2020 date||September 19|
|2021 date||September 18|
The Oktoberfest is a two-week festival held each year in Munich, Germany during late September and early October. It is attended by six million people each year and has inspired numerous similar events using the name Oktoberfest in Germany and around the world, many of which were founded by German immigrants or their descendants.
- 1 Around the world
- 2 Europe
- 3 See also
- 4 Notes
- 5 External links
Around the world
Outside of Germany, the largest Oktoberfest is in Kitchener, Ontario and surrounding cities in Waterloo Region, attracting over 700,000 visitors annually. The next largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany is mostly regarded as being in Blumenau, Brazil with (700,000+ visitors), Cincinnati, Ohio, United States (500,000+ visitors) and the Denver Oktoberfest Denver, Colorado, United States (450,000+ visitors). In New York City, there is even an Oktoberfest held under a big tent along the city's East River. However, the largest one mostly depends on specific year's numbers and varies with sources. Currently Oktoberfest is spreading to new geographical locations; starting in September 2007, Montreal began hosting its own Oktoberfest. One can find Oktoberfest celebrations mixing German traditions, food and beer with local culture outside of Germany.
The National Beer Festival (Fiesta Nacional de la Cerveza) is Argentina's version of the German Oktoberfest. It has taken place every October since 1963 in Villa General Belgrano, Córdoba. The party emerged by the hand of the first German immigrants. This festival attracts thousands of tourists for two consecutive weekends.
In Australia, the universities are notorious in their celebrations of Oktoberfest every year, and as students graduated and moved on, this rolled over into pubs and restaurants in the university areas. After the 2012 Oktoberfest Party the university council banned the celebration of the festival on university campus grounds.
Following the end of many of the university based events a private event company, Nokturnl Events, launched 'Oktoberfest in the Gardens' in the Supreme Court Gardens, Perth on 7 October 2011. The event has since expanded to Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. The event now attracts over 50,000 patrons annually making it the largest Oktoberfest celebration in Australia.
Royal Melbourne Oktoberfest is held within the world heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne. Oktoberfest In The Gardens is held in Melbourne Showgrounds. Sydney also have their instalment of this event located within Australia Technology Park.
The Harmonie German Club, Canberra, holds an Oktoberfest over a three-day period every year in October. The festival has been held for over 45 years, and attracts a large number of visitors from Canberra and surrounding regions. In 2017 the event moved over the border to Queanbeyan in New South Wales and was held on 27 – 29 October.
Brisbane celebrates its annual Brisbane Oktoberfest, which is considered Australia's largest German festival. It is held over the first two weekends in October and offers a variety of German beers, wines and food, beer hall music and dance and singing performances.
Since 1984, an annual Oktoberfest celebration has been held in the seaside village of Emu Park on Queensland's Capricorn Coast. The event is held in the town's Bell Park and is organised by the local Lions Club.
In Brazil there are several Oktoberfests around the country, most of them in towns settled by Germans and Austrians in the Southern portion of the country (like the Oktoberfest of Blumenau, the Oktoberfest of Itapiranga, the Oktoberfest of Igrejinha, the Oktoberfest of Santa Cruz do Sul, the Oktoberfest of Rolândia, the Oktoberfest of São Jorge d'Oeste, the Oktoberfest of Ponta Grossa, the Oktoberfest of Marechal Cândido Rondon, among others). There are also Oktoberfests in other portions of the country (like the Oktoberfest in der Altstadt von Olinda, the Oktoberfest Cearense in Guaramiranga, the Oktoberfest do Club Transatlântico and the Oktoberfest do Brooklin in São Paulo, among others). The Oktoberfest of Blumenau is one of the largest German festivals around the world, attracting around one million people every year.
In Canada there is an annual nine-day celebration spread over 18 days in Kitchener, Ontario. It attracts over 700,000 visitors annually. While its most popular draws are the beer-based celebrations, other cultural and entertainment attractions also fill the week. The most well-known is the parade held on Thanksgiving Day. As the only major parade on Canadian Thanksgiving, it is televised nationally. Coincidentally, the closing day of the Bavarian Oktoberfest also falls on the German equivalent of Thanksgiving, Erntedankfest.
The twin cities and surrounding area have a long history of German roots. Kitchener was formerly named Berlin. A significant portion of the population of Kitchener and surrounding areas identify themselves as being of German descent, and many still speak German. A common phrase at the celebrations is Gemütlichkeit, German for congeniality, or warm friendliness.
Oktoberfest celebrations are also held annually in Sherbrooke, Quebec at the beginning of October. The one night event is held by Université de Sherbrooke's Engineering Students' Association. It draws approximately 6,000 revellers each year.
Two smaller events take place in the Greater Toronto Area:
- Toronto Oktoberfest at Ontario Place
- Unionville Oktoberfest Heritage Days in Unionville, Ontario
- Qingdao has the largest Oktoberfest celebration in all of China with celebrations since 1991. Around 4 million have participated.
- Beijing, held at the Paulaner Brauhaus in the Kempinski Hotel since 1993.
- Shanghai, at the Paulaner Brauhaus and held since 1997.
- Hong Kong, Marco Polo German Bierfest has been held since 1992. The celebration takes place in mid October to early November at Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel in Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui. Other events also take place in other spots in Hong Kong:
- Macau MGM Macau hosted their first Oktoberfest in 2011
Oktoberfest celebrations have become very popular with Indian hotels, restaurants and malls. Numerous such events happen in Indian metros in October. The most significant one is held since 2009 by the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce in Pune, traditionally a large hub of German companies in India.
Oktoberfest beer and music festival celebrations held usually from September up to December. It is organized by San Miguel Brewery, which is the makers of San Miguel Beer and other alcoholic beverages. The 2015 edition of their Oktoberfest, was coincided with the 125th anniversary of San Miguel Beer Pale Pilsen.
Oktoberfest is celebrated annually in mid September at various German schools around the country most notably the Deutsche Schule Pretoria.
German-Americans are the largest self-reported ancestral group in the United States. Correspondingly[vague], there are hundreds of large and small Oktoberfest celebrations held annually throughout the country, the largest being Oktoberfest Zinzinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Known for its large German immigrant population, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and its historic Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsylvania Deutsch) population are well known to have many Oktoberfest celebrations during the months of September and October. These celebrations became increasingly popular among the general Commonwealth population in the later half of the 20th century with the rise of microbreweries, and with the opening of authentic German brew houses such as Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, PA.
Other major celebrations across the United States include those at:
- Old World Oktoberfest in Huntington Beach, CA
- Cullman, Alabama;
- Nashville, Tennessee's oldest-running festival is the Nashville Oktoberfest, in the downtown Germantown neighborhood. In 2015, more than 140,000 people attended. In 2016, official attendance was estimated as over 215,000 people, making the Nashville Oktoberfest the second largest in the USA.
- Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, Arizona
- Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix, Arizona
- The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, California
- Big Bear City, California
- Campbell, California
- Chico, California Located at Sierra Nevada Brewing Co..
- Oakland, California
- Sacramento, California
- San Francisco, California
- Alpine Village in Torrance, California
- San Diego, California
- Montrose, California
- Denver, Colorado
- The Colorado Council of Arts, Science and Culture hosts Parker Oktoberfest in Parker, Colorado
- the Delaware Sängerbund in Newark, Delaware
- Wickham Park (Melbourne, Florida)
- Cape Coral, Florida (largest in Florida)
- Miami, Florida
- Helen, Georgia, a Bavarian-themed town
- Hofbrauhaus Chicago in Rosemont, Illinois, a German celebration, starting in 2013, expecting many beer lovers
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Jasper, Indiana
- Seymour, Indiana
- Amana, Iowa
- Hays, Kansas
- Danville, Kentucky
- Mandeville, Louisiana
- Frankenmuth, Michigan (The first Oktoberfest outside Munich that the Parliament and the City of Munich sanctioned);
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (
- New Ulm, Minnesota (In 2002 the Census Bureau released a report showing 65.85% of population with German ancestry, the greatest proportion among US cities).
- Jefferson City, Missouri
- Hermann, Missouri
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Norfolk, Nebraska
- Sidney, Nebraska
- Germania Park in Rockaway Township, New Jersey
- Irondequoit, New York
- Hickory, North Carolina
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- the Ohio State Fair grounds and the Germania Singing and Sport Society in Columbus, Ohio
- Berea, Ohio
- Minster, Ohio
- Wilmington, Ohio
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Mt. Angel, Oregon; Mt. Angel has held an Oktoberfest since 1966, the largest folk festival in the Northwest.
- Sertoma Field in Walhalla, South Carolina
- East Allegheny (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
- Newport, Rhode Island
- Kingsport, Tennessee
- Addison, Texas
- Boerne, Texas
- Fredericksburg, Texas
- Galveston, Texas
- Muenster, Texas (their version is called "Germanfest" and is held in April)
- New Braunfels, Texas (called Wurstfest). Began in 1961. Attendance typically ranges from 125,000-200,000 people.
- Slaton, Texas ("Slaton Saint Joseph Sausage Festival," held on the third Sunday of October)
- Shiner, Texas
- at least 11 other Texas towns
- Snowbird, Utah, a resort in the mountains above Salt Lake City
- neighborhood of Lago Mar, Virginia Beach, Virginia;
- Lovettsville, Virginia;
- neighborhood of Fremont, Seattle, Washington
- Leavenworth, Washington, a Bavarian-themed town
- Appleton, Wisconsin
- La Crosse, Wisconsin, called Oktoberfest – La Crosse, Wisconsin
- New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- many others
Oktoberfest celebrations are co-organized annually by the German Business Association in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. In 2012, Oktoberfest Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City celebrated its 20th year with a seven-day event.
In Venezuela, specifically in Colonia Tovar, it is held annually since 1970 . Sometimes music groups have been invited from Germany to interpret typical music. The Historic center of Colonia Tovar has a population of about 10,000 inhabitants and it is estimated that during the days of the event the town receives twice of visitors. In Greater Caracas, it's celebrated in the suburb of El Hatillo, it's sponsored by the embassy of Germany and Poland, and the German-speaking Catholic Community.
Note that traditional fairs in Bavaria, called Dult, Volksfest (popular festival) etc., are similar to the Oktoberfest in nature (not in size), but not called Oktoberfest as they did not arise in imitation of it. Of these, the Gäubodenvolksfest of Straubing enjoys particular fame.
Munich - The Original
The Oktoberfest Hannover is a fair which takes place every year at the end of September/beginning of October in  Oktoberfest ], Germany. It usually lasts 17 days and features 140 rides and inns, two large beer tents seating more than a thousand people each, and numerous stands, beer gardens and five small beer tents offering food and refreshments. The program consists of a Dirndl-Competition, three Fireworks, two Family-Days, a hand lantern parade for kids and a backstage tour. You can get a special festival-beer from the local brewery "Brauerei Herrenhausen", the "Lüttje Lage" (an alcoholic speciality of Hannover) and many food from Lower Saxony and Bavaria. With around one million visitors each year, it is the second-largest Oktoberfest in Germany.
Oktoberfest in Berlin continues to grow, and 2014 will mark the 64th celebration of oktoberfest in Berlin. Several large areas including Alexanderplatz and zentral festplatz will be turned into Bavarian like beer and food tents. Live brass Bavarian bands will play at venues around town and people can be seen in traditional Bavarien dress around the city. Many places will also serve the official Oktoberfest beers that must be made in Munich. These events can last from mid September to early-mid October, and are the largest Oktoberfest events outside of Munich.
- Beer festival
- Cannstatter Volksfest - Volksfest held in the Swabian city of Stuttgart at a similar time of year to Oktoberfest
- German diaspora
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-10-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Oktoberfest-Zinzinnati". Cincinnati.metromix.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-18. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Welcome to http://thedenveroktoberfest.com". thedenveroktoberfest.com. Archived from the original on 2014-09-20. Retrieved 2014-09-16. External link in
- "Oktoberfest 2017 Events - Info, Dates, Visitors Guide". oktoberfestbeerfestivals.com. Archived from the original on 2017-05-31. Retrieved 2017-03-19.
- "Top 10 Oktoberfest celebrations around the world". www.skyscanner.net. Archived from the original on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Oktoberfest 2016 & 2017 Info, Dates and Event Guide". Oktoberfest 2016 & 2017 Info, Dates, Event Guide. Archived from the original on 2016-08-07. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- Griffin, Renée (8 August 2013) Why Oktoberfest 2013 was Cancelled Archived 2013-11-01 at the Wayback Machine. Tharunka. Retrieved 2 March 2017
- http://oktoberfestinthegardens.com.au Archived 2015-02-27 at the Wayback Machine Oktoberfest in the Gardens
-  Archived July 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Williams, Elliot (28 October 2017). "Queanbeyan hosts first Oktoberfest after 50 years in Canberra". Canberra Times. Fairfax. Archived from the original on 29 October 2017. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- Hall, James (25 February 2017). "Queanbeyan cashes in as the new home for Oktoberfest". Canberra Times. Archived from the original on 1 March 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Cardwell, Kate Stein Time Archived 2018-04-25 at the Wayback Machine, 7 News, Seven Network, 2 November 2015. Accessed 7 December 2017.
- Emu Park Oktoberfest Archived 2017-12-08 at the Wayback Machine, Emu Park Lions Club website. Accessed 7 December 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) Colin Butler, CBC News
- "L'Oktoberfest – Oktoberfest XVI". Oktoberfest XVI. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Toronto Oktoberfest - HOME". Toronto Oktoberfest - HOME. Archived from the original on 29 March 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Unionville Oktoberfest". www.guidingstar.ca. Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Millions gather for Chinese Oktoberfest". Archived from the original on 2018-04-07.
- "Oktoberfest in Beijing". Archived from the original on 2015-09-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2016-06-13.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Oktoberfest in Shanghai". Archived from the original on 2015-02-22.
- "Oktoberfest Shanghai 2018 - Home". www.oktoberfestshanghai.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Marco Polo German Bierfest". Marco Polo German Bierfest. Archived from the original on 31 October 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Oktoberfest in Hong Kong and Macau - CNN Travel". cnn.com. Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "PUNE IS THE LARGEST GERMAN HUB IN INDIA". DNA India. 2010-09-17. Archived from the original on 2016-12-28.
- "Raise your mugs, it's time to celebrate Oktoberfest!". Times of India. 2013-09-29. Archived from the original on 2016-11-08.
- "Palestinian-style Oktoberfest goes down smooth By Adam Pines". The Raw Story. 2006-09-17. Archived from the original on 2012-02-05. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Beer, music, stars, history in San Miguel Oktoberfest". Edge Davao. Archived from the original on January 17, 2016. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- "Oktoberfest Moscow". Archived from the original on 2015-04-14.
- "Oktoberfest". Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-18. Retrieved 2016-04-06.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Event Espresso Showcase". Archived from the original on 2017-07-06. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- "Phoenix Oktoberfest 2011 - Arizona Center for Germanic Cultures Inc". Phoenixoktoberfest.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Colorado Council of Arts, Science and Culture". Archived from the original on 2015-01-01. Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "Parker Oktoberfest". Archived from the original on 2014-12-18. Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- ":: Oktoberfest". Frankenmuthfestivals.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-11. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Oktoberfest West Michigan". Oktoberfest Info for West Michigan. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- ":: Norfolk Oktoberfest". norfolkareachamber.com/. Archived from the original on 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "German-Texans," Texas Almanac 1996-1997
- "Oktoberfest 2016 & 2017 Info, Dates and Event Guide". Oktoberfest 2016 & 2017 Info, Dates, Event Guide. Archived from the original on 2016-08-07. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "German Business Association". gba-vietnam.org. Archived from the original on 17 November 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Oktoberfest Vietnam 2018 - Windsor Plaza Hotel". www.oktoberfestvietnam.com. Archived from the original on 19 January 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-10-17. Retrieved 2015-10-18.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)? Official page of Colonia Tovar Oktoberfest in Venezuela
- "Oktoberfest arrives to El Hatillo" (in Spanish). Caracas, Venezuela: Tu Zona Caracas. Archived from the original on 22 November 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Hernandez, Jorge (19 October 2014). "Cultural exchange in El Hatillo with the Oktoberfest" (in Spanish). Caracas, Venezuela: El Universal. Archived from the original on 22 November 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- http://www.spyonberlin.com Archived 2014-09-03 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oktoberfest celebrations around the world.|
- Festival of Beer: Search for Beer Festivals around the World
- 2017 Oktoberfest:  & The Casualties - slideshows by Life magazine
- 2016-2017 Oktoberfest celebrations
- Sacramento Turn Verein: Turn Verein
- 8 Best Big-City Oktoberfests in the U.S. Biggest Oktoberfests Infographic. Retrieved October 21, 2014.