OldTown White Coffee
An OldTown White Coffee Outlet in Taman Permata, Kuala Lumpur.
|Publicly traded company|
|Traded as||MYX: 5201|
|Founded||1999Ipoh, Perak, Malaysiain|
|Founders||Goh Ching Mun|
Tan Say Yap
|Headquarters||Tasek Industrial Estate, |
Number of locations
|245 outlets (2014)|
|Asia and Oceania|
|Ahmad Tasir Lope Pihie, Chairman|
Lee Siew Heng, Group Managing Director
|Revenue||MYR 382.172 million (2014)|
|MYR 11.748 million (2014)|
|Total assets||MYR 424.074 million (2014)|
|Total equity||MYR 334.331 million (2014)|
OldTown Berhad (doing business as OldTown White Coffee; Chinese: 旧街场白咖啡; MYX: 5201) is Malaysia's largest halal-certified kopi tiam restaurant chain in Ipoh, Perak established since 1999. The company manufactures instant beverage mixes and products, in addition to operating over 237 café outlets throughout Malaysia and the region such as Singapore, China, Indonesia and Australia, as well planning to expand into Vietnam, South Korea and Bangladesh. In 2005, the company expanded into the food service sector with the opening of a chain of café outlets based on the traditional Ipoh coffee shop setting and ambience under the brand name "OldTown White Coffee". OldTown now exports its instant beverage mixes to more than 14 countries was publicly listed on Bursa Malaysia as main board.
In 2017, OldTown Berhad, is on the verge of being taken over by a Dutch company that specialists in the beverage industry worldwide.
Following an offer, valued at RM1.47 billion, from Jacobs Douwe Egberts Holdings Asia NL BV (JDE).
JDE made an offer of RM3.18 per share for OldTown, which was a premium of RM0.30 over the company’s share price of RM2.88 as at Dec 7, 2017.
In 2013, OldTown has 200 stores in Malaysia. The group achieved the 200th outlet in a period of 7 years. In 2017, taken over by Jacobs Douwe Egberts Holdings Asia NL BV (JDE).
As of 2015, OldTown has four café outlets in China.
Awards and recognition
|2011||Franchising & Licensing Association of Singapore (FLA)||International Franchisor of the Year||Won|||
|2012||Malaysia Franchise Awards||Won|||
|Franchisor of the Year||Won|
|2015||Restaurant Association of Singapore (RAS) Epicurean Star Awards||Best Local Traditional Cafe||Won|||
- "OTB:MK". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "2014 Annual Report". Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- H Media. The International Halal SME Report Directory 2011/12. Lulu.com. pp. 151–. ISBN 978-967-10758-0-7.
- "Big brands in Malaysian franchising named at awards". The Star. 27 October 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Our Profile". OldTown Berhad. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Oldtown Berhad (Fantastic homegrown brand)" (PDF). Kenanga Research. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Oldtown White Coffee grows to 200 outlets in Malaysia". The Star. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- C. S. Cheah (4 February 2015). "We are Apolitical: Old Town White Coffee". Bloomberg Television. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "OldTown strengthens presence in Indonesia". The Sun. 24 June 2014. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Oldtown to open Australia in 2015". The Sun. 21 May 2014. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "OldTown White Coffee brings Melbourne's Elizabeth St to a standstill". Bernama. Astro Awani. 23 August 2015. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Coffee chain wins franchise award". AsiaOne. 9 September 2015. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "OldTown White Coffee triumphs at Singapore's Epicurean Star Awards". Today Online. The Malay Mail. 19 November 2015. Archived from the original on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2015.