Old Aker Church
|Old Aker Church|
South side of the church
|Year built||Middle Ages|
Old Aker Church was built as a three-naved Romanesque style basilica and constructed from limestone. It is believed to have been erected by King Olav Kyrre in 1080 as a church for all of Vingulmark, the historic area surrounding Oslo. The grounds of Old Aker Church were originally likely the former site of the regional thing during the pre-Christian period.
The oldest part of the surrounding churchyard dates back to the 12th century. The church has been pillaged and ravaged by fire several times. After a lightning strike and fire during 1703, the tower and church bells as well as the entire inventory were destroyed. The exterior was restored by architects Heinrich Ernst Schirmer and Wilhelm von Hanno in 1861. Interior restoration during the period 1950-1955 included removal of plaster on brick walls and restoration of the Baroque style furnishings.
The church sits on top of Telthusbakken and is located centrally in the borough of St. Hanshaugen. It is surrounded by an old graveyard and a stone wall. The church has a baroque pulpit and baptismal font from 1715. The tower is built in 1861. Most of the buildings in the area are from the 1880s, with the addition of some apartment blocks from the 1930s. Gustav Jensen was appointed a curate at the church in 1874. Knud Karl Krogh-Tonning was parish priest at the church from 1886 to 1900.
The church was built over the former site of the Akerberg mines (Akersberg gruve), an ancient silver mine which was in use since the early Viking era. The mines are mentioned in the 1170 Historia Norvegiae. The existence of these former mines must have been the inspiration for a number of local stories about the church having hidden silver treasures and even dungeons with dragons. 
- Aker Kirke (Den Norske Kirke)
- og kirke (Akers Avis Groruddalen)
- Ole Petter Bjerkek. "Heinrich Ernst Schirmer". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Trond Indahl. "Wilhelm Von Hanno". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Gamle Aker Kirke (Frommers.com)
- Knut Are Tvedt. "St. Hanshaugen". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Rolv Magne Dahl. "Akersberg gruve". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- "Gamle Aker - Akersberget gruver". Riksantikvaren. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Treasure at the base of the Old Aker Church En skatt ved foten av Gamle Aker kirke University of Oslo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gamle Aker Church.|
- Church of Norway parish website Norwegian
- Gamle Aker kirke Historical website (Norwegian)
- Old Aker Church (English)