Old Bergen Church
Old Bergen Church
Old Bergen Church in 2010.
|Location||Bergen and Highland Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Area||0.5 acres (0.20 ha)|
|Architect||William H. Kirk and Company, Clark and Van Nest|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||73001103|
|Added to NRHP||August 14, 1973|
|Designated NJRHP||June 13, 1973|
The Old Bergen Church is a historic church congregation located in Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. Established in 1660 in what was then the Dutch colony of New Netherland, it is the oldest continuous religious congregation in what is today the State of New Jersey. The congregation is jointly affiliated with the Reformed Church in America and the Presbyterian Church (USA). The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 14, 1973. The original church building was constructed in 1680 and the current edifice was built in 1841.
The congregation was formed in the Dutch colonial village of Bergen in 1660, located across the Hudson River from the town of New Amsterdam in what is today Lower Manhattan. The first services were held in a log schoolhouse. In 1680 an octagonal, sandstone church was built by William Day. The church was located on Vroom Street, between Bergen and Tuers Avenues. The congregation outgrew the original church and a second church was erected in 1773. This church was also made of sandstone and was located at the corner of Bergen Avenue and Vroom Street. The third and current church was built in 1841 by William H. Kirk and Company and Clark and Van Nest.
- Bergen, New Netherland
- Bergen Square
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Oldest churches in the United States
- Van Wagenen House
- Newkirk House
- List of cemeteries in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Old Bergen Church - Official Website
- List of burials
- View of Old Bergen Church via Google Street View
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Hudson County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. July 7, 2009. p. 7. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- http://oldbergenchurch.org/ Accessed January 4, 2009.
- http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/Pages/O_Pages/Old_Bergen_Church.htm Accessed November 28, 2008.
- http://oldbergenchurch.org/history.html Accessed January 4, 2009.
- http://www.cityofjerseycity.org/oldberg/chapter35.shtml Accessed January 4, 2009.
- Sarapin, Janice Kohl, Old Burial Grounds of New Jersey: A Guide, Rutgers University Press, ISBN 0-8135-2111-4