Old Blue (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Old Blue" (also known as "Old Dog Blue") is an old folk song, believed to have originated from the minstrel shows of the late 19th century. A 1928 version by Jim Jackson, entitled "Old Dog Blue", appears on the Anthology of American Folk Music album. Since this early recording, a number of covers and variations of this song have been recorded. In his 1985 play, Fences, August Wilson uses Jim Jackson's version as a leitmotif, and the play's central character (who had a dog named Blue as a boy) says his father originated the song.
- Joan Baez, Joan Baez, Vol. 2 (1961)
- The Byrds, Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde (1969)
- Furry Lewis, Shake 'Em On Down (1961)
- Guy Carawan, Songs with Guy Carawan (1950)
- Ramblin' Jack Elliott, I Stand Alone (2006)
- David Wiffen, David Wiffen At The Bunkhouse Coffeehouse, Vancouver BC (1965)
- Johnny Duncan, Vintage Rock Nº 23 - EPs Collectors "Johnny Duncan's Tennessee Song Bag" (1957)
- Cisco Houston, Songs to Grow On, Vol. 3: This Land Is My Land (1951)
- Bill Staines, One More River (1998)
- Anne Hills, Never Grow Up (1998)
- The Dillards, Live!!!! Almost!!! (1964)
- Bob Gibson and Bob Camp, Bob Gibson and Bob Camp at The Gate of Horn (1961)
- Sam Hinton, Whoever Shall Have Some Good Peanuts (2006)
- Pete Seeger, American Favorite Ballads, Vol. 3 (1957)
- Lonnie Pitchford, The Harry Smith Connection: A Live Tribute To The Anthology Of American Folk Music (1998)
- Dave Van Ronk, Somebody Else, Not Me (1980)
- JJ Cale, Guitar Man (1996)
- Georgia Ruth, Week of Pines (2013)
- Appears on Disney Children's Favorite Songs 2 (1979) as a children's song.
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Greg Lake in live versions performances of "Take a Pebble" (1971)
- Ian & Sylvia
- Charlie Parr, I Ain't Dead Yet (2016)
- "Old Dog Blue by Jim Jackson". Oldweirdamerica.wordpress.com.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 9 - Tennessee Firebird: American country music before and after Elvis. [Part 1]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. University of North Texas Libraries.
- "Ian & Sylvia - "Old Blue"". YouTube. 20 June 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
|This folk song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|