Old Custom House (Cairo, Illinois)
|Location||1400 Washington Ave.,|
|Coordinates||37°00′10″N 89°10′19″W / 37.0029°N 89.1719°WCoordinates: 37°00′10″N 89°10′19″W / 37.0029°N 89.1719°W|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||Alfred B. Mullet|
|NRHP reference No.||73000689|
|Added to NRHP||July 24, 1973|
The Old Custom House is a historic government building in downtown Cairo, Illinois. Built from 1869 to 1872, the building served as a customs house, post office, and courthouse. Alfred B. Mullett, the U.S. Supervising Architect at the time, designed the building in the Italianate style, a rarity among federal buildings; his design features a bracketed cornice and rounded windows. When Cairo built a new post office in 1942, the building became the town's police station. The building is one of the few surviving U.S. custom houses and one of the largest federal buildings of its era in the Mid-Mississippi Valley region.
The custom house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1973. It now serves as a history museum.
In celebration of the 2018 Illinois Bicentennial, Cairo Custom House was selected as one of the Illinois 200 Great Places  by the American Institute of Architects Illinois component (AIA Illinois).
- ^ a b "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ Sprague, Paul E. (May 29, 1973). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: Old Custom House" (PDF). National Park Service. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 4, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- ^ "Visitors Guide to the Cairo Customs House Museum". greatriverroad.com. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- ^ Waldinger, Mike (January 30, 2018). "The proud history of architecture in Illinois". Springfield Business Journal. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Cairo Custom House
- Illinois Great Places - Cairo Custom House
- Society of Architectural Historians SAH ARCHIPEDIA entry on Cairo Custom House
- Government buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Illinois
- Italianate architecture in Illinois
- Government buildings completed in 1872
- Museums in Alexander County, Illinois
- History museums in Illinois
- Cairo, Illinois
- National Register of Historic Places in Alexander County, Illinois
- 1872 establishments in Illinois
- Southern Illinois Registered Historic Place stubs
- Illinois building and structure stubs
- Midwestern United States museum stubs