Old Custom House (Cairo, Illinois)
|Location||1400 Washington Ave.,|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||Alfred B. Mullet|
|NRHP reference No.||73000689|
|Added to NRHP||July 24, 1973|
The Old Custom House is a historic government building in downtown Cairo, Illinois. Built from 1869 to 1872, the building served as a customs house, post office, and courthouse. Alfred B. Mullett, the U.S. Supervising Architect at the time, designed the building in the Italianate style, a rarity among federal buildings; his design features a bracketed cornice and rounded windows. When Cairo built a new post office in 1942, the building became the town's police station. The building is one of the few surviving U.S. custom houses and one of the largest federal buildings of its era in the Mid-Mississippi Valley region. The site for the custom house was chosen in 1859 by Illinois Senator (and Abraham Lincoln’s opponent in the 1860 presidential campaign) Stephen A. Douglas. In 1866, John A. Logan returned to Congress and lobbied successfully for fifty thousand dollars to start construction, with fifty thousand dollars allocated each following year until construction was completed. Construction began in 1867, and the building opened to the public on the evening of June 16, 1872. The original purpose of the Custom House was to house the offices which dealt with collecting duties and tariffs on international imports which had not been offloaded before they reached Cairo on their way up the Mississippi River.
In celebration of the 2018 Illinois Bicentennial, Cairo Custom House was selected as one of the Illinois 200 Great Places  by the American Institute of Architects Illinois component (AIA Illinois).
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Sprague, Paul E. (May 29, 1973). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: Old Custom House" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Visitors Guide to the Cairo Customs House Museum". greatriverroad.com. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Waldinger, Mike (January 30, 2018). "The proud history of architecture in Illinois". Springfield Business Journal. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Illinois Great Places - Cairo Custom House
- Society of Architectural Historians SAH ARCHIPEDIA entry on Cairo Custom House
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cairo Customs House Museum.|
|This article about a property in Illinois on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Illinois museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|