Old Dairy Farm Depot
|Old Dairy Farm Depot|
|Status||Leased – arts venue & clubhouse|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian eclectic|
|Address||2 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong|
|Current tenants||North Foreign Correspondents' Club|
South Fringe Club
|Landlord||Government Property Agency|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Danby & Leigh|
|Main contractor||Dairy Farm|
|Awards and prizes||Antiquities & Monuments Office's Award of Merit|
The Old Dairy Farm Depot (Chinese: 舊牛奶公司倉庫) or Old Dairy Farm Building (舊牛奶公司寫字樓) is a building in Central, Hong Kong, which currently houses the Hong Kong Fringe Club (South Block) and the Foreign Correspondents' Club (North Block). It is located at 2 Lower Albert Road. The back of the building is located along Wyndham Street, while its edge faces Glenealy.
In 1892, Dairy Farm built a low-rise brick and stucco building on Lower Albert Road in Central for use as a cold storage warehouse. It was designed by Danby & Leigh (now Leigh & Orange). The original depot only comprised about half (the southern part) of the present premises. This warehouse was later renovated and expanded in 1913, 1917 and 1925 to include a dairy shop, a room for meat smoking, a cold storage room for winter clothes and residency for the general manager. The building later evolved into the company headquarters until the company moved in the 1970s.
The Foreign Correspondent's Club started occupying the North Block in 1982. The South Block was acquired by the Hong Kong Fringe Club in 1984. It has undergone many major renovations since the Fringe Club moved in, in 1983.
The building is located along the Central and Western Heritage Trail. It was listed as a Grade II historic building in 1981, and as a Grade I historic building in 2009. The project of renovation and refurbishment of the Old Dairy Farm Building and its conversion into the Hong Kong Fringe Club was a winner of the 2001 Hong Kong Heritage Awards, organised by the Antiquities Advisory Board and the Antiquities and Monuments Office.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Old Dairy Farm Depot.|
- Hong Kong Fringe Club – Where We Are
- "From British Colonization to Japanese Invasion" (PDF). HKIA Journal (45: 50 years of Hong Kong Institute of Architects): 45. 30 May 2006.
- Brief Information on Proposed Grade 1 Items. Item #68.
- Antiquities and Monuments Office: Central and Western Heritage Trail: Old Dairy Farm Building
- Antiquities and Monuments Office: List of the Historic Buildings in Building Assessment Archived 22 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine (as of 23 November 2011)
- Winning Entries of Hong Kong Heritage Awards (2001)