Very Special Old Fitzgerald,
a 12 year-old Super-Premium Bourbon
|Manufacturer||Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.|
|Country of origin||Kentucky, United States|
|Alcohol by volume||45.00%|
|Related products||Barton Brands|
Beginning in 1870, Old Fitzgerald was first produced for rail and steamship lines and private clubs primarily located in the south by John E. Fitzgerald in Frankfort, Kentucky. Around 1900, "Old Fitz" was released to the American public and in Europe as well. It was one of the few distilled using the pot still method, and continued to do so until around 1913. During Prohibition, Old Fitzgerald was one of a select few to distill under government supervision for the national medicinal trade, it was soon after acquired by Pappy Van Winkle for $10,000 who then introduced the "Whisper of Wheat" to the original recipe. By substituting wheat for the more traditional rye in the grain recipe, Old Fitzgerald is finished with a rounder, softer profile compared to other bourbons.
Old Fitzgerald was produced at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery until, in 1992, the distillery was shut down and production was transferred to Diageo's newly constructed the Bernheim Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky. In 1999, Diageo sold the brand, along with the Bernheim Distillery, to Heaven Hill, which currently produces and markets Old Fitzgerald.
Old Fitzgerald Expressions
- Old Fitzgerald Prime
- Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond
- Old Fitzgerald's 1849
- Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Years Old
- Very Old Fitzgerald (8 year)
- Very Xtra Old Fitzgerald (10 year)
- Very Very Old Fitzgerald (12 year)
- Very Very Old Fitzgerald (15 year)
- Very Very Old Fitzgerald (18 year)
- Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey by Heaven Hill Distilleries
- Cowdery, Chuck. "After More Than 20 Years, Stitzel-Weller to Resume Production". The Chuck Cowdery Blog. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Diageo to Sell Liquor Brands to Heaven Hill and Others". New York Times. February 25, 1999. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Beck, Ernest (February 25, 1999). "Diageo Sells Brandy Label, Bourbons In Bid to Cull Its Portfolio of Brands". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Old Fitzgerald Multimedia Kit". Heaven Hill.
- "Very Very Old Fiztgerald". LA Whisk(e)y Society.