Old Fort High School
|Old Fort High School|
|School district||Old Fort Local School District|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Sandusky Bay Conference|
Old Fort High School is a public high school in Old Fort, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Old Fort Local School District. Their nickname is the Stockaders. They were long-time members of the Midland Athletic League but joined the Sandusky River League for the 2014–15 school year. Old Fort will compete in the Sandusky Bay Conference beginning in 2016-17.
Absorption of Bettsville's school district
In January 2014, a community forum of 200+ people at the Bettsville school showed that a majority were in favor of letting their district be absorbed into the neighboring school district for Old Fort. This was mainly due to the increasingly large deficit the Bettsville school board was faced with, which was estimated to be around $775,000. The school district was also placed under fiscal emergency on February 6, 2014 by state auditor Dave Yost. Old Fort was decided as the best fit after approaching other neighboring districts because Bettsville and Old Fort already shared administration and staff. Bettsville's school became a much-needed K-6 building for Old Fort while the 7-12 students would attend Old Fort High School.
Other less popular options voted on were to keep Bettsville open, but make severe cuts to staff and extracurricular activities while asking for a levy to pass; or to allow the students to open-enroll at other districts and keep the building open solely to be cared for by a maintenance staff.
Bettsville's board of education approved the resolution to join under Old Fort, which was then approved by Old Fort's board. For the 2014-15 school year, Bettsville's district territory transferred to Old Fort's.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Paul Gillmor, politician
- http://www.sanduskycentralcatholic.org/apps/news/show_news.jsp?REC_ID=262439&id=0 Panthers leading new athletic league. Feb. 1, 2013.
- Herbert, Amber (January 31, 2014). "Bettsville school eyes combining with Old Fort". Fostoria Review Times. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Walby, Nicole (February 7, 2014). "Bettsville schools in fiscal emergency". Tiffin Adviser-Tribune. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- McCray, Vanessa (June 22, 2014). "Bettsville schools to merge with old rival". Toledo Blade. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
|This Seneca County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|