From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Old Gold)
- This article is about the color. For other meanings see Old gold (disambiguation).
|sRGBB (r, g, b)||(207, 181, 59)|
|CMYKH (c, m, y, k)||(0, 13, 71, 19)|
|HSV (h, s, v)||(49°, 71%, 81%)|
|Source||/Maerz and Paul|
|B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)
H: Normalized to [0–100] (hundred)
In human culture
- The academic dress regulations and colors for graduation ceremonies require that the distinctive official costume of each person be worn. An old gold cap, gown, hood, or tassel can represent a particular degree or diploma.
- In the U.S., old gold is widely used as one of the two color symbols for colleges and universities, including Trinity College (Connecticut), Georgia Tech, DePauw University, Johns Hopkins University, Texas State University, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Purdue University, University of Minnesota, University of Missouri, East Tennessee State University, Vanderbilt University, University of Tulsa, College of Wooster, Wake Forest University, East Carolina University, Oakland University, University of Pittsburgh, Wofford College, West Virginia University, University of Central Florida, University of Wisconsin–Superior, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, and the University of Iowa.
- Old gold is also used as one of the official colors of college fraternal organizations such as Acacia, Alpha Kappa Psi, Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Psi Lambda, Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Zeta, Acacia, Alpha Tau Omega, Delta Upsilon, Delta Sigma Pi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Order, Omega Psi Phi, Omega Tau Zeta, Phi Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Tau, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Rho Eta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, and Gamma Sigma Zeta.
- Old gold is used as a political color by Mebyon Kernow, a Cornish nationalist party. The color is derived from Cornish kilts and tartans.
- Old gold is used for some NFL teams: the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Rams, and the San Francisco 49ers. The reason for its use by the Saints is that New Orleans is an old city with the heritage and architecture of regal Europe. The reason for its use by the 49ers is the identification of San Francisco (indeed the very choice of the mascot name) with the California Gold Rush of 1849. The reason for its use by the Rams is because old gold is used in conjunction with navy blue; both colors are a darkened version of the team's traditional blue and gold scheme dating back to when the team was first in Los Angeles.
- The home shirts worn by English football club Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. are traditionally old gold in color. The club is also well known as 'The Old Gold'.
- The color displayed in the color box above matches the color called old gold in the 1930 book by Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Color New York:1930 McGraw-Hill; the color old gold is displayed on page 51, Plate 14, Color Sample K5.
- Maerz and Paul, A Dictionary of Color (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1930), page 200, Color Sample of Old Gold, Page 51, Plate 14, Color Sample K5