Old Harbor Light (Savannah, Georgia)
Old Harbor Light in Emmett Park
|Location||Emmett Park, Savannah, Georgia, United States|
|Year first constructed||1858|
|Markings / pattern||dark green|
|Height||25 feet (7.6 m)|
|Focal height||77 feet (23.5 m)|
|Part of||Savannah Historic District (Savannah, Georgia) (#66000277)|
|Added to NRHP||November 13, 1966|
The Old Harbor Light, which is also known as the Savannah Harbor Rear Range Light or the Beacon Range Light, is a former aid to navigation in Emmet Park on East Bay Street in Savannah, Georgia. The light has the appearance of a giant street light. It is within the boundaries of Savannah Historic District and was erected during the mid 19th century, contemporary with most of the structures in the district.
The light was erected by the United States Lighthouse Board in 1858 as the rear range light with the front light on Fig Island to guide ships into the Savannah Harbor and avoid the six British ships, which were scuttled in 1779 to impede French and American ships during the Revolutionary War.
In 1958, the Trustees Garden Club developed the eastern portion of Emmet Park. At that time, the light was in poor shape due to salt water corrosion and was stabilized with cables.
Restoration of the Old Harbor Light was planned as part of a major project to restore Savannah's monuments. With contributions of $125,000 from the Savannah Morning News and CSX Corporation, the light was taken down in 2000 and moved to a nearby fabricator. Rust was removed by chemical treatment, repairs were made, it was repainted, and the light was cleaned. It was re-erected and relit on January 11, 2001.
The light has a cast iron shaft and resembles a giant street light. It is 25 feet (7.6 m) tall with a focal plane 77 feet (23.5 m) above the river. It may have been imported from England or France.
It is reported to have originally been a red light. It is now lit with a decorative gas light.
- "Savannah Harbor Rear Range Light Light". World List of Lights. Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Savannah Harbor Light, GA". The Lighthouses: Georgia. LighthouseFriends.com. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Savannah Harbor Light". Georgia Lighthouses. seathelights.com. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Georgia". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 7 February 2010. under "Savannah Harbor Range Rear (Beacon Range, Old Harbor Light)"
- "The Beacon Range Light in Emmet Park". Park and Tree: Monuments. City of Savannah. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Gross, Doug (January 12, 2000). "Beacon Range Light shines again". Savannah Morning News. Savannah, Georgia: Morris Communications. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Gross, Doug (March 21, 1999). "Savannah's Harbor Light monument to shine again". Savannah Morning News. Savannah, Georgia: Morris Communications. Retrieved 7 February 2010.