Old Hilltown, California
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
Old Hilltown (formerly, Hill Town) is an unincorporated community in Monterey County, California. It is located on the north side of the Salinas River 3 miles (4.8 km) south-southwest of Salinas on California State Route 68, at an elevation of 46 feet (14 m), approximately two miles from Spreckels, California The name is from James Bryant Hill, one of the first settler in the area. The first European land exploration of Alta California, the Spanish Portolá expedition, camped on the Salinas River in this vicinity on September 30, 1769, having followed the river from the south for several days. From this camp, the scouts went out to survey the route ahead and saw Monterey Bay for the first time. Unsure whether the point they could see at the southern end of the bay was the "Point of Pines" described by Sebastian Vizcaino in 1602, Portola decided that the party should investigate.
Hill Town was established at a ford of the Salinas River called Paso del Quinto. Hill Town was the site of one of the first ferries on the Salinas River. The ferry operated until 1889 when a bridge was built across the river. The site is now registered as California Historical Landmark #560.
In the California State Senate, Old Hilltown is split between the 19th Senate District, represented by Democrat Hannah-Beth Jackson, and the 20th Senate District, represented by Democrat Connie Leyva. In the California State Assembly, it is split between the 29th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Mark Stone, and the 30th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Anna Caballero.
- "Old Hilltown". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 931. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- Clark, Thomas (1991). Monterey County Place Names. Kestrel Press. p. 216.
- Bolton, Herbert E. (1927). Fray Juan Crespi: Missionary Explorer on the Pacific Coast, 1769-1774. HathiTrust Digital Library. pp. 200–202. Retrieved April 2014. Check date values in:
- "Hill Town ferry". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Monterey County Supervisorial District 5 Map (North District 5)" (PDF). County of Monterey. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 1, 2012. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "California's 20th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
|This Monterey County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|