Old Jefferson, Louisiana
|Parish||East Baton Rouge|
|Elevation||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Area||3.5 sq mi (9.1 km2)|
|- land||3.5 sq mi (9 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||1,594.7/sq mi (615.7/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
Old Jefferson is a census-designated place (CDP) in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 6,980 at the 2010 census, up from 5,631 in 2000. It is part of the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Old Jefferson is located at (30.381292, -91.010376).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.5 square miles (9.1 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,631 people, 2,044 households, and 1,582 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,594.7 people per square mile (615.9/km²). There were 2,110 housing units at an average density of 597.6 per square mile (230.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 90.37% White, 5.68% African American, 0.39% Native American, 1.90% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.44% from other races, and 1.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.56% of the population.
There were 2,044 households out of which 45.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.6% were non-families. 17.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 29.4% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 36.8% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 4.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $52,220, and the median income for a family was $59,778. Males had a median income of $41,164 versus $27,044 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $21,410. About 2.3% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Zoned schools include:
- Woodlawn Elementary School in Old Jefferson serves almost all of the community while a small segment to the north is zoned to Shenandoah Elementary School in Shenandoah
- Woodlawn Middle School in Shenandoah
- Woodlawn High School in Old Jefferson
Private schools in the area include:
- Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic School (PK-8) in Old Jefferson
- St. Michael the Archangel High School (9-12) in Shenandoah
The district provides transportation to these two private Catholic schools.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Old Jefferson CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 7, 2017.
- "Elemementary-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 7, 2017. Woodlawn is on page 41/41: "8160 Antioch Road, Baton Rouge". Shenadoah is on page 32/41.
- "Middle-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 6, 2017. Woodlawn Middle is on p. 14/14.
- "High-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 7, 2017. Woodlawn is on p. 10/10.
- "mapselemm-z.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. April 26, 2005. Retrieved on January 6, 2017. Parkview is on page 8/23.
- "mapselema-l.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. April 26, 2005. Retrieved on January 7, 2017. p. 23/26 has the map for Jefferson Terrace Elementary School.
- Home. Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic School. Retrieved on January 7, 2017. "8033 Baringer Road Baton Rouge, LA 70817"