Old Mill High School
|Old Mill High School|
600 Patriot LaneMillersville, Maryland
|School district||Anne Arundel County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Kevin Hamlin|
|Enrollment||2,105 (September 2014)|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue|
|Rival||Meade High School|
Old Mill Senior High School is an American public high school in Millersville, Maryland serving students in grades 9 through 12. It was occupied in 1975 and is administered by Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS). The school was built to alleviate over-crowding at Arundel and Severna Park High Schools. Along with Annapolis High School and Meade Senior High School, Old Mill Senior High is one of the three IB World Schools in Anne Arundel County. The school building also houses the high school's two feeder schools, Old Mill Middle School North and Old Mill Middle School South. The school mascot is The Patriot. Old Mill excels in academics as well as athletics, including on December 4, 2009 when Old Mill won the State Football Championship against Henry A. Wise, and on December 2, 2011 when Old Mill won the State Football Championship against Quince Orchard. Old Mill also has major accomplishments in wrestling, track & field and basketball. Old Mill's rivals are Arundel High School (football only) and Meade High School.
Since 1977, Old Mill has been accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association. Newsweek Magazine also ranked Old Mill in their 2007 Top 1300 Public High Schools in the Country List, at #773.
International Baccalaureate (IB)
Old Mill High School has been an IB World School since April 2005. It offers the IB Diploma Programme, preceded by the Extended Learning Program (ELP), or more commonly known as Pre-IB. The school offers a variety of standard level (SL) and higher level (HL) courses. The IB program is coordinated in Old Mill by Mr. Foxmann and Mrs. Heyman, and Ms. Klimes is the guidance counselor for all the IB students.
Old Mill High School is currently an IB Middle Years Programme candidate school, with the intention being that Old Mill will be 'whole-school' International Baccalaureate by the end of the 2014/2015 school year. This is in conjunction with the two other IB World Schools currently in place in Anne Arundel County, Annapolis High School and Meade High School.
Students at Old Mill Senior High School are encouraged to participate in extracurricular, community, social and professional development organizations including:
- Student Government Association
- Chess Club
- Dance Company
- Foreign Language Club
- Freshman Scholars
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- International Thespian Society
- International ESOL Club
- It's Academic
- Key Club
- Ladies of Excellence
- Literary Magazine (Illuminations)
- Marching Band
- Math Club
- Mathematics Engineering and Science Achievement
- Mock Trial
- Model United Nations
- Modern Music Masters Honor Society (Tri-M)
- Music Program (including color guard flags, concert band, jazz band, marching band, orchestra and stage band)
- Musical Production
- National Art Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- National Science Honor Society
- National French Honor Society
- National Spanish Honor Society
- S.W.A.N. Club
- Newspaper (The Patriot Echo)
- Patriots Achieving Total Success
- Patriot Players Theatre Company (PPTC)
- People for Animal Welfare
- Photography Club
- Junior Statesmen of America
- Pom Squad
- Robotics Club
- Salsa Club
- Sailing Club
- Shutter Society
- Steel Drum Band
- Video Game Production Club
The Old Mill Patriots participate in a variety of interscholastic sports and activities, including:
- Cross Country Running
- Field Hockey
- Football - 2009 Maryland 4A State Champions, 2011 Maryland 4A State Champions
- Indoor Track and Field
- Wrestling 9x 3A/4A Maryland State Tournament Champions. 3x 3A/4A Maryland State Dual Champions. Former Coach Mike Hampe in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
- Baseball - 3X State Champion (1980, 1989, 2003) All coached by Mel Montgomery
- Outdoor Track and Field
- Josh Hader (2012) - Baseball
- Josh Furman (2010) - American football
- Kevin Barnes (2004) - American football player
- Jeong H. Kim (?1979?) founded Yurie Systems, president of Bell Labs
- James E. Rzepkowski (1989) former member of Maryland House of Delegates
- 
- Lester Speight (1981) - American football player, a professional wrestler and actor
- [Kenneth Pumphrey] (1994)- 4th. Round draft pick New York Mets
School staph infections
In October 2007, Old Mill High School was listed as one of four high schools in Anne Arundel County that had outbreaks of staph infections. 28 cases of the infection have also been reported at Severna Park High School, Glen Burnie High School, and Chesapeake High School.
- "OFFICIAL ACTUAL SEPTEMBER 2014 ELEMENTARY ENROLLMENTS" (PDF). Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Planning Office. 5 December 2014.
- CSS-MSA Status: Old Mill High School Archived October 10, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) Old Mill High School". IBO. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "International Baccalaureate Program/Extended Learning Program (ELP) at Anne Arundel County Public Schools". Aacps.org. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Mark Ribbing (1998-04-30). "Yurie founder chases dreams". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "The Jeong H. Kim Engineering Building: At A Glance". Eng.umd.edu. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- WBAL News