|Country of origin||India|
|Alcohol by volume||42.8%|
Old Monk Supreme Rum |
Old Monk Gold Reserve Rum
Old Monk extra special XXX rare Rum
Old Monk Deluxe XXX Rum
Old Monk White Rum
Old Monk Rum is an iconic vatted Indian dark rum, launched on 19 December by Jeeven kandel 1954. It is blended and aged for a minimum of 7 years. It is a dark rum with a distinct vanilla flavour, with an alcohol content of 42.8%. It is produced in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, and was previously available in all parts of India.
There is no advertising, its popularity depends on word of mouth and loyalty of customers. However, in 2013 Old Monk lost its rank as the largest selling dark rum to McDowell’s No.1 Celebration Rum. Old Monk has been the biggest Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) brand for many years. 
Old Monk was ranked 5th among Indian spirits brands at the Impact International's 2008 list of "Top 100 Brands At Retail Value" with a retail value of US$240 million.
In 1855, an entrepreneurial Scotsman named Edward Abraham Dyer, father of Colonel Reginald Edward Harry Dyer of Jallianwala Bagh massacre, set up a brewery in Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh to cater to the British requirement for cheap beer. This brewery changed hands and became a distillery by the name of Mohan Meakin Pvt. Ltd.
Old Monk, reportedly a creation of Ved Rattan Mohan, former managing director of Mohan Meakin, was first introduced in India in the 1960s. Before Old Monk, there was Hercules rum (still sold) that was distilled exclusively for the armed forces. Superior in taste and perhaps even in quality to Hercules (as loyalists believe), the brand soon became one of the leading dark rums in the world and perhaps the most popular IMFL (Indian-Made Foreign Liquor) brand in the country. The affordable pricing strategy has also worked in their favor. There was a time when Old Monk dominated the rum market. There were other brands also but none came close in quality or popularity. About eight million bottles were sold annually. Today the sales are a quarter of that and they continue to decline. There were recent rumours about Old Monk closing down but its makers, Mohan Meakin Ltd, assured that Old Monk is not going to be taken off market. .
While the 7 years aged XXX rum grade is the most popular, there are Supreme & Gold Reserve varieties which are gaining in popularity. These are aged for 12 years and are blended with highly matured spirits. Supreme also comes in a special bottle, with the shape of a standing monk. The top part of the monk's head is the bottle cap, which also doubles up as a peg measure.There is a limited edition that has been launched in 2013. The number of years it has been aged is unclear, the box states "very old vatted". The 1 litre bottle is in the shape of the old monk's face.
- Old Monk Supreme Rum
- Old Monk Gold Reserve Rum
- Old Monk XXX Rum
- Old Monk Deluxe XXX Rum
- Old Monk White Rum
- Old Monk Legend - Limited Edition
Old Monk is sold by some retailers in Russia, United States, UK, Germany, Japan, UAE, Estonia, Finland, New Zealand, Canada, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Cameroon, Singapore and Malaysia.
- The Cult of Old Monk
- GQ India(March 2012)
- Old Monk Estonia Distributor Website
- 5 Old Monk Mixes: Beyond Rum and Coke
- CNN Travel (July 12, 2011)
- Old Monk loses ground to McDowell’s No.1
- Business Standard (April 18, 2012)
- Old Monk rum losing steam as Celebration gains: Impact
- Business Line (August 26, 2004)
- "Top 10 Best Rum Brands in India".
- "McDowell's in top10 global spirits league". 5 March 2009 – via The Economic Times.
- Saikia, Arunabh (23 April 2016). "How Old Monk went from India's star to another has-been".
- "Reginald Edward Dyer 1864-1927 - Ancestry". www.ancestry.com. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- Colvin, Ian Duncan (2006-01-01). The Life of General Dyer. Unistar Books.
- Collett, Nigel (2006-10-15). The Butcher of Amritsar: General Reginald Dyer. A&C Black. ISBN 9781852855758.
- Sourish Bhattacharyya (January 11, 2018). "Meet the real creator of Old Monk". Business Today. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "Old Monk lives on a prayer". Times of India. Times of India. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Old Monk Fans Can Sit Back and Relax, Their Favourite Brand is Going Nowhere". NDTV Food. NDTV. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Old Monk won't die, assures manufacturer". Times of India. Times of India. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Old Monk Distributor Website