Old Post Office (Buffalo, New York)
U.S. Post Office
|Location||121 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, New York|
|Architect||Taylor, James Knox|
|NRHP reference No.||72000839|
|Added to NRHP||March 16, 1972|
The Old Post Office, also known as U.S. Post Office, is a historic post office building located at 121 Ellicott Street in Buffalo in Erie County, New York within the Joseph Ellicott Historic District. It is currently home to the City Campus of SUNY Erie.
It was designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the old U.S. Post Office Department during the tenure of Jeremiah O'Rourke when construction started in 1897. The $1.5 million building opened in 1901 during the tenure of James Knox Taylor and operated as Buffalo's central post office until 1963.
The highly ornamented Gothic Revival style four story building features a 244-foot tower over the central entrance. This tower is 244 feet (74 m) tall. The main feature of the interior is a roofed courtyard. It was subsequently occupied by various federal offices.
National Register of Historic Places
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- "Old Post Office". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- "Old Post Office". Emporis.com. Archived from the original on March 21, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Archived from the original (Searchable database) on 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2016-07-01. Note: This includes T. Robins Brown (n.d.). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: U.S. Post Office" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-01. and Accompanying three photographs
- Media related to Old Post Office (Buffalo, New York) at Wikimedia Commons
- U.S. Post Office - U.S. National Register of Historic Places on Waymarking.com
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-5605, "U.S. Post Office, 121 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, Erie County, NY", 18 photos, 8 data pages
- Erie Community College :: ECC Home