Old Warden Post Office
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Bedfordshire and Luton|
|Ambulance||East of England|
The 2011 census shows its population as 328.
The Shuttleworth Collection of historic airplanes and motor vehicles is at Old Warden Aerodrome.
The first mention of a post office in the village is in 1873. The post office national archives record the issue to Old Warden in April 1890 of a type of postmark known as a rubber datestamp. The village post office closed on 14 October 2008. It was one of about 2,500 compulsory compensated closures of UK post office branches announced by the Government in 2007.
St Leonard's Parish Church is located in the village.
Francis William Bourdillon (1852–1921), poet, translator, bibliophile, and scholar was a vicar of Old Warden of 1880th.
The village is also noted for being the home of the Shuttleworth Trust, an organization committed to the preservation of transport artefacts – primarily bicycles, motor cars, and aeroplanes – produced in the early part of the 20th century. The corresponding collection is known as the Shuttleworth Collection. The estate also has buildings and gardens, and a small airfield from which many of the historic aircraft fly during the regular flying displays. The estate, museum, and airfield are open to visitors. The estate is also the home of Shuttleworth College founded in 1944.
Sport and leisure
Old Warden Cricket Club play in the Bedfordshire Invitation League on a Saturday and Division 4 of the Bedfordshire County Cricket League on Sundays.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Old Warden Parish (E04011974)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- Mackay, James A. (1986) Sub Office Rubber Datestamps of England and Wales, p. 285, p. 287, Dumfries: published by the author, ISBN 0-906440-39-4
- "Proposed branch closure" (2008) Leaflet issued by Post Office Ltd.
- "Councillors". Old Warden Parish Council. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Election Maps: Unitary Authority Wards". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Welcome to Old Warden Cricket Club". Old Warden Cricket Club. Retrieved 30 October 2019.
Media related to Old Warden at Wikimedia Commons
- Old Warden pages at the Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service
- The story of the Swiss Garden at Shuttleworth, retrieved 12 February 2017