Oldsmobile Diesel engine
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast iron|
|Cylinder head alloy||Cast iron|
|Fuel system||Indirect injection|
|Oil system||Wet sump|
|Successor||Detroit Diesel V8 engine|
Oldsmobile produced three versions of a diesel engine between 1978 to 1985: a 5.7 litre V8 1978-85, a 4.3 litre V8 in 1979, and a 4.3 litre V6 1982-1985. Both powered rear-wheel drive vehicles; the 4.3 litre was adapted to both transverse and inline front-wheel drive applications. Sales peaked in 1981 at approximately 310,000 units, which represented 60% of the total U.S. passenger vehicle diesel market. However, this success was short-lived due to decline in gas prices and difficulties resulting from large volumes of diesel fuel containing water or foreign particles being sold beginning with the diesel's introduction.
The LF9 is a 350 cu in (5,737 cc) diesel V8 produced from 1978 to 1985. Earlier versions and those used in pickups produced 120 hp (89 kW) and 220 ft·lbf (300 N·m) torque, while later versions produced 105 hp (78 kW) and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) torque.
- Buick – varying model years of Century, Electra, LeSabre, Regal, and Riviera
- Cadillac – varying model years of de Ville, Eldorado, Fleetwood Brougham, and Seville
- Chevrolet – varying model years of C10, Caprice, El Camino, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Suburban
- GMC – varying model years of C1500, Caballero, and Suburban
- Oldsmobile – varying model years of Custom Cruiser, Cutlass/Cutlass Cruiser/Cutlass Salon, Cutlass Supreme/Cutlass Calais, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, and Toronado
- Pontiac – varying model years of Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Prix, and Parisienne
- 1980–1982 Checker Marathon
The LF7 is a 260 cu in (4.3 L) V8 putting out 90 hp (67 kW) and 160 ft·lbf (220 N·m) torque.
The LT6 is 4.3 liter V6 produced from 1982 to 1984 and installed in rear-wheel drive vehicles. Power was rated at 85 bhp (63 kW) @ 3600 rpm and 165 lb·ft (224 N·m) @ 1600 rpm.
- 1982–1984 Buick Regal
- 1982–1983 Chevrolet Malibu
- 1982–1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- 1982–1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme/Cutlass Calais
The LT7 is a transversely-mounted version of the 4.3 liter V6 produced from 1982 to 1985. Power was rated at 85 bhp (63 kW) @ 3600 rpm and 165 lb·ft (224 N·m) @ 1600 rpm.
- 1982–1985 Buick Century
- 1982–1985 Chevrolet Celebrity
- 1982–1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
- 1982–1985 Pontiac 6000
The LS2 is an inline version of the 4.3 liter V6 produced only in 1985 and installed in front wheel drive vehicles.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oldsmobile Diesel engine.|
- "Oldsmobile Diesel Technical Magazine". Retrieved 20 Dec 2013.
- "The Worst Automobile Engines of All Time - Features- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine". Retrieved 26 Jan 2016.
- "What's Hot". Retrieved 11 Jan 2014.
- "TECHNICAL: DIESEL REDUX". Retrieved 11 Jan 2014.
- "Ghosts of Diesels Past: Failed cars from 20 years ago still haunt GM, U.S. market - Autoweek". Retrieved 11 Jan 2014.