Oleku (Ice Prince song)
|Single by Ice Prince featuring Brymo|
|from the album Everybody Loves Ice Prince|
|Released||June 8, 2010|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Hip hop, Naija|
|Songwriter(s)||Panshak Zamani and Olawale Ashimi|
|Ice Prince singles chronology|
|Brymo singles chronology|
"Oleku" is an Afrobeat song by Nigerian recording artist Ice Prince. The song features vocals from Brymo. It was released by Chocolate City on June 8, 2010. It is the first single from his debut studio album Everybody Loves Ice Prince, and the third overall single released by the rapper.
Upon its release, the song became an instant success, gaining positive reviews from music lovers. The song was one of the most popular songs of 2010 along with Naeto C's "Ten Over Ten" and D'banj's "Scapegoat". The song helped popularize the Minna native. Until the release of "Oleku", Ice Prince was relatively unknown.
Background, meaning, and composition
During a visit to Tim Westwood's BBC Radio 1xtra show, Ice Prince said "Oleku" means 'hard and strong'. In an interview with Factory 78 TV, Ice Prince was asked about the recording process of "Oleku". His response was:
"First of all, what happened was, at the time Chocolate City was on my neck to submit my single because they've released M.I, they've released Jesse. What they were supposed to release next is Ice Prince. They were on my neck for my single and there was no single. So, I got a beat from my friend. His name is Sarz. He gave me a beat and the first thing that came to my head when I was writing was "She feeling me boy yeah, she feeling me boy". That sounded good. I was writing it in the studio, just trying to write verses to that. Jesse came in and heard me singing that. Jesse started playing the chords to what I was singing and I like it. So we just put on the system, he recorded the whole instrument. Between God and men, Jesse made the whole beat under 30 minutes. He made it and stepped out of the studio. I wrote it there and thought I needed more melodies for soul. I started composing in my head...I wanted to put Yoruba words to that so I called Brymo to the studio, we sat down together, put our heads together and we wrote it. It came out the way it was. But I didn't expect it to be this big, trust me...I thought that it was an okay song...It wasn't even going to come out as my first single, but because the demand was too much, I needed to put it out real quick so we just tested it out on the internet. From the internet, it just went everywhere."
The music video for the single has eclipsed the 5.6 million views mark on YouTube. M.I, Jesse Jagz and Wizkid made cameo appearances in the music video. Prior to the release of the official music video, an unauthorized release of the unfinished music video surfaced on the internet. During the aforementioned interview, Ice Prince shed light on the situation. He said: "It was a very terrible situation for me. I was very depressed that period. The first cut that my director submitted leaked out. When he submitted it, I didn't like it and my record label didn't like it so we sent it back to him and asked him to redo it and which he did. What happen was, because we're all scattered, he sent us the link. He sent it on a private link and we got it and watched it. Unfortunately for us, someone got their hands on the private link. I don't know how. We emailed 4shared and they said they were going to get back to us, blah, blah, blah. We've not sorted it out up to now but it just went out like that. It was very very depressing."
The song won an award for Hottest Single of the Year at the 2011 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. The music video for "Oleku" was nominated for Best Contemporary Afro Video at the 2011 Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA). Moreover, it won the Most Gifted Newcomer Video award at the 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards. "Oleku" won the Song of the Year award at the 2011 City People Entertainment Awards, and was nominated for Song of the Year at the 2010 Dynamix All Youth Awards. Furthermore, "Oleku" won Best Rap Single and Song of the Year at The Headies 2011. Ice Prince was nominated in the Next Rated, Lyricist on the Roll and Best Collaboration categories at The Headies 2011.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2010||Dynamix All Youth Awards||Song of the Year||Nominated|
|2011||City People Entertainment Awards||Won|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Hottest Single Of The Year||Won|
|Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA)||Best Contemporary Afro Video||Nominated|
|Channel O Music Video Awards||Most Gifted Newcomer Video||Won|
|The Headies||Best Rap Single||Won|
|Song of the Year||Won|
|Next Rated (Ice Prince for "Oleku")||Nominated|
|Lyricist on the Roll (Ice Prince for "Oleku")||Nominated|
Track listing, covers, and remixes
Since the official release of "Oleku" in 2010, numerous remixes and cover versions have been released. "Oleku" is one of Nigeria's most remixed songs of all time. It was covered by Kagwe Mungai, Vector, Mugeez of R2Bees, Victoria Kimani, Sarkodie and Yung6ix, among others.
|1.||"Oleku"||Panshak Zamani and Olawale Ashimi||4:50|
|2.||"Oleku (Cover)" (by Kagwe Mungai)||Kagwe Mungai||3:27|
|3.||"Oleku (Vector Version)" (by Vector)||Vector||3:17|
|4.||"Pussy (Oleku)" (by Mugeez)||Mugeez||2:37|
|5.||"Voleku" (by Anofela the Black Prez)||Anofela the Black Prez||4:55|
|6.||"Oleku Remix" (by SugarBoy)||SugarBoy||3:14|
|7.||"Shame! (Oleku Cover)" (by Atumpan ft A.O)||Atumpan ft A.O||4:09|
|8.||"Oleku Warri Remix" (by Yung6ix)||Yung6ix||5:56|
|9.||"Baby You (Oleku Remake)" (by Victoria Kimani)||Victoria Kimani||4:46|
|10.||"Oleku Remix (ft Sarkodie)" (by Cstrapz)||Cstrapz||3:12|
|11.||"Oh Salone" (by Shadrack Shady Baby)||Shadrack Shady Baby||3:43|
|12.||"Y'all Feelin Dc (Oleku Cover)" (by Gabby & Digo)||Gabby & Digo||3:36|
|13.||"Onyenekwu [Remix] ft Ice Prince" (by Tekno)||Tekno|
|14.||"Oleku Cover" (by B Nice Kyenomame)||B Nice Kyenomame|
|15.||"Oleku Cover" (by Donaeo Eddie Kadi)||Donaeo Eddie Kadi|
|16.||"Part Hard (Oleku Cover)" (by Oberz ft Luminous)||Oberz and Luminous|
|17.||"Screemin Agyei (Oleku cover)" (by Stormy ft Rapido)||Stormy and Rapido|
|18.||"Change your love (Oleku Cover)" (by Sarkodie ft Mohammed)||Sarkodie and Mohammed||3:19|
|19.||"Oleku Cover" (by Dreyz)||Dreyz||4:47|
|20.||"Too Bad (Oleku Cover)" (by M3riss)||M3riss|
|21.||"Oleku Cover" (by JTown)||JTown|
|22.||"Oleku Remix" (by DJ Babus ft. AT, Ice Prince, and Vector)||AT, Ice Prince, and Vector||3:55|
- Dj remixes
|23.||"Oleku (Jiff Jazz Funky Mix)" (by Jiff Jazz)||Panshak Zamani||4:45|
|24.||"Oleku (DJ Teffler Remix)" (by DJ Teffler ft Ice Prince, Snoop Dogg, and Brymo)||Ice Prince, Snoop Dogg, and Brymo||4:49|
- "Nigeria: Ice Prince: Record Label Wants The Album Out in June or July". Question Mark Mag. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Nigeria: Ice Prince Rules With Oleku". allAfrica. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "West-Oleku-Wood - Ice Prince teaches Westwood native language". YouTube. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "FACTORY78 EXCLUSIVE - iceprince interview.mov". YouTube. 11 February 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- on YouTube
- "2011 Nigeria Entertainment Awards: "And The Winner Is…"". Information Nigeria. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Nigerian Music Video Awards [NMVA] 2011 Nominees… Darey & Jodie Top The List of Nominees". Jaguda. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "The Channel O Music Video Awards 2011 – Winners & "Where was D'banj?"". Bellanaija. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Success in the city: The 2011 City People Entertainment Awards". YNaija. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "The List Of Nominees for Dynamix Youth Awards 2010". The Net Nigeria. Archived from the original on 11 September 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Arogundade, Funsho (26 October 2011). "2011 The Headies: 2Face, Darey, MI, Others Win Multiple Awards". P.M. News. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Ice Prince's 'Oleku': Official video for one of Nigeria's most remixed hits". thisisafrica. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Kagwe Mungai Releases Hot Rendition Of Ice Prince's Oleku!". Ghafla. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Vector – Oleku (Vector Version) + Album Track Listing". Notjustok. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Audio: Pussy (Oleku) by Mugeez". Ghanamusic. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- ""Voleku", Ivorian rapper Anofela's French version of Ice Prince's "Oleku"". thisisafrica. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "A1 SugarBoy - Oleku Remix + She Bad [Hold Yuh Cover]". Tayotv. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Atumpan-Shame ft Young AO (Oleku Cover)". Yebamedia. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Yung6ix – Oleku Waffi Remix". Gidilounge. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Music: Victoria Kimani – Oleku [Remake]". Jaguda. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Back-In-The-Day-Music: Cstrapz – Oleku Remix (ft Sarkodie)". Zionfelix. 5 May 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Video of the week: Shadrack Shady Baby's "Oh Salone" on Oleku instrumentals". Switsalone. 14 January 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Gabby & Digo - Y'all Feelin Dc (Oleku Cover).mp3". Tunescoop. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "DOWNLOAD: Tekno – Onyenekwu [Remix] ft Ice Prince | @teknomiles". Olekubuzz. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Sarkodie ft Mohammed- Change your love (Oleku cover full)". YouTube. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Dreyz | Oleku (Cover)". iwantairplay. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "DJ Babus Feat. AT, Ice Prince & Vector – Oleku Remix". Gidilounge. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Ice Prince - Oleku (Jiff Jazz Funky Mix)". Vimeo. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Ice Prince ft. Snoop Dogg & Brymo - Oleku (DJ Teffler Remix)". YouTube. Retrieved 23 November 2013.