She was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1987 and awarded the OBE in 1988. In recognition of her work, there is the Olga Kennard Research Fellowship in crystallogrophy, administered by the Royal Society.
She is married to Sir Arnold Burgen, her second husband; her first husband was David Kennard.
Her niece is English actress Rachel Weisz.
She was educated at Prince Henry VIII GS, and then at the University of Cambridge (ScD).
- Research assistant at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge 1944-48
- Medical Research Council (MRC) Scientific staff, London, 1948-1951
- MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London, 1951-1961
- University Chemical Laboratory (to set up Crystallography Unit)
- MRC special appointment, 1974-1989
- Scientific Director, Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC), 1965-1997
- Visiting Professor, University of London, 1988-1990.
- "Olga Kennard Research Fellowship Scheme". Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Haines, Catharine M. C. "International Women in Science: A Biographical Dictionary to 1950". Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Faculty page, University of Cambridge
- Trustees of the British Museum
- Press release about her reappointment as a trustees of the British Museum (contains a brief biography)
-  Hirschler Family Tree
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|