February 15, 1956|
|Alma mater||Tulane University|
|Known for||Abuela Claudia in In the Heights|
Drama Desk Award |
HOLA Tespis Award
Olga Merediz (born February 15, 1956) is a Cuban-born American Broadway, TV, and film actress. Merediz originated the role of Abuela Claudia in the Broadway musical In the Heights, for which she received a Tony nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical. She played the role for the show's entire Broadway run. Her television credits include NBC's 2016 series "Shades of Blue" and Netflix's Orange Is the New Black.
Merediz was born in Guantánamo, Cuba on February 15, 1956. When she was five years old, she escaped from Cuba to Miami, Florida. Thereafter, she relocated with her family to Puerto Rico where she grew up. Merediz graduated with a bachelor's degree from Tulane University.
Film and television
Merediz’s motion picture credits include Top Five, The Place Beyond the Pines, The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Remember Me, K-Pax, Apartment 5-C, Trouble in the Heights, Like Sunday, Like Rain, Fugly!, Requiem for a Dream, Angie, Evita, and Changing Lanes. She worked with Meryl Streep in both Marvin's Room and Music of the Heart, and with Sidney Lumet in Q&A. Robert Redford directed her in The Milagro Beanfield War.
Her television credits include NBC's 2016 series "Shades of Blue" and Netflix's big hit Orange Is the New Black. In 2014, Merediz joined the cast of the George Lopez-starring FX series, Saint George, playing Alma, Lopez's mother. Her other television credits are Royal Pains, Blue Bloods, Pan Am, Law & Order SVU, The Sopranos, The Job, The George Lopez Show, Third Watch, Law & Order, and 100 Centre Street. She had recurring roles in both The Jury and Hope & Faith. Merediz also appeared on the pilot episode of the FOX TV series Past Life, as well as an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay as a judge.
Theatre and stage
Before they went to Broadway, Merediz starred in the Off-Broadway versions of In the Heights, and The Human Comedy. Some of her other Off-Broadway credits include Women without Men, The Haggadah, Lullabye and Goodnight, and The Blessing.
Additionally, Merediz was directed by John Cassavetes in a play called Thornhill.
Merediz has an extensive voice-over and narration portfolio, including documentaries on PBS. Her voice can be heard in "Nature: Nature's Miracle Orphans" and Cuba: the Accidental Eden, numerous TV/radio commercials, Dora the Explorer and Go, Diego! Go!.
Awards and nominations
In addition to her Tony Award nomination, Merediz won a 2007 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Ensemble Performance for her role in the off-Broadway run of In the Heights, as well as a 2003 HOLA Tespis Award from the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors. At the 2008 Tony Awards, she received a nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical for the Broadway incarnation of In the Heights.
In 2013, Latina magazine named her as one of the 50 Best Latin Singers and Pop Stars of All time. As per the magazine, “The Cuban Broadway star knows how to dominate a live stage and owns it!”
- Willis, John (1995). Theatre World 1992-1993. p. 207. ISBN 9781557832030.
- "Olga Merediz | Biography and Filmography | 1956". Hollywood.com. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- Gans, Andrew. "In the Heights to Close on Broadway in January; Miranda to Return to Cast" Archived 2010-12-01 at the Wayback Machine.. Playbill.
- Jones, Kenneth. "In the Heights Ends Broadway Run Jan. 9; Tour Continues and Film Is in the Wings" Archived 2011-01-11 at the Wayback Machine..playbill.com, January 9, 2011.
- Freshley, Catherine. "Tulane University - Balance and Ambition". Tulane University. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2013-12-13). "Nia Long To Co-Star In WEtv Drama 'The Divide', Shaun Toub Added To NBC Pilot 'Tin Man', Olga Merediz Joins FX's 'Saint George'". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Steinhauer, Jennifer (20 March 1994). "F.Y.I." The New York Times. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- The Broadway League. "Olga Merediz | Awards and Nominations". IBDB.
- Soltes, John. "Growing old with Olga Merediz in the new musical, ‘In the Heights’". The Leader. June 19, 2008.
- "Music". LATINA. Retrieved 2017-08-12.