9 October 1938 |
|National coach(es)||Andrei Vâlcea|
Olga Szabó-Orbán (née Orbán on 9 October 1938) is a Romanian former foil fencer, world champion in 1962 and team world champion in 1969. A five-time Olympian, she won an individual silver medal in 1956 and team bronze medals in 1968 and 1972.
Orbán was born in a Hungarian minority in Transylvania. She took up fencing at the relatively late age of 14 after her teacher Ecaterina Bartoș led the whole class to the fencing hall, where her husband Tibor was a coach. Her talent became rapidly apparent and she was placed under the responsibility of coach Ludovic Ozoray at club Progresul Cluj. She won in 1954 her first national championship in the junior category, followed in 1955 by a title in the senior category.
At the 1956 Olympics she earned a silver medal, the first Olympic medal in fencing for Romania. The gold medal went to Great Britain's Gillian Sheen, whom Orban had beaten twice during the event. In 1961 Orban won with Maria Vicol, Ana Pascu and Ecaterina Orb-Lazăr Romania's first medal at the World Fencing Championships with a team bronze medal, followed in 1962 by an individual gold medal.
After her retiring from competitions Orbán became a fencing coach at her club CSA Steaua. In 1990 she moved to Hungary with her husband, Olympic water polo player Alexandru Szabó, and later worked at the Budapest Honvéd sport club.
- "Olympics Statistics: Olga Orban-Szabo". databaseolympics.com. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- "Olga Orban-Szabo Olympic Results". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- Egyetemes magyar sport – Lapozgató (53.) – 2013. december 30., hétfő – Háromszék, független napilap Sepsiszentgyörgy. 3szek.ro. Retrieved on 1 October 2016.
- Daniel Remeș (16 September 2014). "Olga Szabo Orban: Marele meu regret este faptul că nu am câștigat o medalie de aur la Jocurile Olimpice!" (in Romanian). Romanian Fencing Federation.
- Killyéni, András, ed. (2011), Szabó-Orbán Olga: a lány, aki meghódította a világot (PDF) (in Hungarian), Cluj-Napoca, ISBN 978-973-0-11215-3
- Olga Orban. Romanian Olympic Committee
- Nicu, Alexe, ed. (2002), "Federația Română de Scrimă", Educaţiei Fizice și Sportului din România (PDF) (in Romanian), 1, Bucharest: Aramis, p. 1054