Olive Branch Airport
|Olive Branch Airport|
|Airport type||Public use|
|Owner||Metro Industrial Park Ltd.|
|Serves||Olive Branch, Mississippi|
|Elevation AMSL||402 ft / 123 m|
Olive Branch Airport (IATA: OLV, ICAO: KOLV, FAA LID: OLV) is a privately owned, public use airport in De Soto County, Mississippi, United States. It is located three nautical miles (6 km) northeast of the central business district of Olive Branch, Mississippi. This airport included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation reliever airport.
The airport is about a 30-minute drive from downtown Memphis, Tennessee and 10 minutes from the Memphis city limits, making it an easily accessible satellite airport for the general aviation and business air travel communities wanting to access the East Memphis/Germantown/Collierville area. It is owned and operated by Metro Industrial Park Ltd.
In the early 1970s, Holiday Inn announced they would construct what would be called Holiday Inn University and Conference Center in Olive Branch, Mississippi. Simultaneous with construction of the University, Holiday Inn began work on a 3,000-acre (12 km2) industrial park and the Olive Branch Airport that opened in January, 1973. Today the development is known as Metro Industrial Park. It is an 800-acre (3.2 km2) fully planned, improved, and restricted industrial facility. It includes the Olive Branch Airport—one of Mississippi's busiest—offering a 6,000-foot (1,800 m) paved, lighted runway, and full service fixed-base operations (via Metro Aviation Service). Today the industrial complex and Olive Branch Airport are owned by Belz Enterprises.
Facilities and aircraft
Olive Branch Airport covers an area of 414 acres (168 ha) at an elevation of 402 feet (123 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 18/36 with an asphalt surface measuring 6,000 by 100 feet (1,829 x 30 m). There is a fully functioning "Class D" control tower, with an up-link to Memphis International Airport's radar, which is staffed from 7am - 9pm CST daily. The airport has an ILS to Runway 18 and a LOC/DME to Runway 36.
Facilities include a general aviation terminal, 25 conventional hangars, 26 T-hangar units, and 140 paved tie-down spaces. The airport also offers on-site car rental through Hertz Rent-A-Car and lodging arrangements at the nearby Whispering Woods Conference Center (previously the Holiday Inn University and Conference Center).
Olive Branch Airport is home to Downtown Aviation, which has both an extensive maintenance service located at DeWitt Spain Airport and a flight school with pilot training from private pilot to flight instructor located at both locations and additionally provides aircraft rental service. They also have courses in learning aerobatics and flying tail-wheel airplanes. It has a sizable fleet of Cessna aircraft, as well as a Piper Arrow, a Boeing Stearman, a Beechcraft Dutchess, and a Super Decathlon.
Air Venture Flight Center is a flight training school and aircraft rental company based at the airport. They have a full-time staff of professional flight instructors and a fleet of Cessna aircraft. It is also a Cessna Pilot Center and operates a charter company called Vectair-USA.
Any aircraft from a small training aircraft to a Bombardier Global Express business jet can operate to, from, and around Olive Branch Airport. A few charter companies have piston singles and twins, jets, and/or turbojets based at Olive Branch Airport. Vectair-USA uses a Beechcraft King Air 9L for chartered flights. OneSky Jets has one King Air B100 based there.
For the 12-month period ending October 3, 2012, the airport had 64,825 aircraft operations, an average of 177 per day: 99.8% general aviation and 0.2% military. At that time there were 130 aircraft based at this airport: 76% single-engine, 19% multi-engine, 5% jet, and 1% helicopter.
- FAA Airport Master Record for OLV ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (OLV: Olive Branch)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
"2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- Zero to Jet.V2.htm AirVenture Flight Center Introduces 'Zero to Jet' Accelerated Regional Airline Training Program, news release from Belz Metro Industrial Park, June 2007
- "Our History". City of Olive Branch, Mississippi. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14.
- "Home - Page". downtownaviation.com. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "Air Venture Flight Center - Memphis Flight Training School & Aircraft Rental". www.air-venture.com. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "Private Jet Charter Flights - Private Jet Rental Service - JetVizor". www.vectair-usa.com. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "OLV airport information, location and details". www.onesky.com. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Aerial image as of February 1991 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective October 11, 2018
- FAA Terminal Procedures for OLV, effective October 11, 2018
- Resources for this airport: