Oliver Goldsmith (Canadian poet)
Oliver Goldsmith (1794–1861) was a Canadian poet born in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. He is best known for The Rising Village, which appeared in 1825. It was at once the first book-length poem published by a native English-Canadian and the first book-length publication in England by a Canadian poet. Furthermore, his Autobiography is the first autobiography of a native Canadian writer. He is not to be confused with his great-uncle Oliver Goldsmith, to whose celebrated poem The Deserted Village The Rising Village is a response.
- The Rising Village by Oliver Goldsmith (full text).
- Other Poems by Oliver Goldsmith
- Kenneth J. Hughes on "The Rising Village"
- David Jackel on "The Rising Village"
- A Short Biography of Oliver Goldsmith
|This article about a poet from Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|